In all seriousness, this is a dire situation.

The lingering question is my mind; how is Freeman going to carry around a heavy as hell rocket launcher? I mean, it's a REALLY important level throughout Surface Tension and some of Forget About Freeman, but no smart human would lug one around for that long of a time.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Doesn't his suit have a quantum storage device? How else can he carry all those guns, they don't have straps and his suit doesn't have holsters or attachment points, that's always been my reasoning for protagonists carrying an armory without it showing, quantum storage.

That is what bothers me about shooters all the time, like when I was playing Unreal I came up with the crackpot theory that the translator had an infinite storage device.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

I never thought much about it to be honest.

That is just a wide generalization to quickly explain one of most every video game's logical fallacies.

Are you implying that Spaceballs is lazy humour?

I certainly hope not...

Now if you were talking about those terrible _____ Movies instead, then yeah, those are shameful to enjoy.

But in that case I wouldn't even respond due to sheer disgust.

You liked space balls? That's amazing. Most people who I've talked to that have seen it, said they didn't like it at all.

I wasn't implying that it's lazy humor at all. What I meant was, it's sort of "goofy" humor (if you will). And yes, Space balls basically started the _____ Movie crap. Scary Movie1 was the only one that I liked out of all of them.

WHAT?!

Spaceballs did NOT start that garbage!

I mean, sure, it was one of Mel Brooks' weaker movies (but still really good) but it is actually clever, not like those trashy excuses for comedy!

Also, those idiots who make them credit Airplane! more for their "inspiration" which is also an insult to Airplane!, but you get the idea...

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

Would you gentlemen please take this discussion somewhere else? Try to stay on topic, please.

Yeah let's stay on topic. Sorry about that.

Doesn't his suit have a quantum storage device? How else can he carry all those guns, they don't have straps and his suit doesn't have holsters or attachment points, that's always been my reasoning for protagonists carrying an armory without it showing, quantum storage.

Here you go: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Hammerspace

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

While you can wax intellectual about what's actually happening because of some slipped hint in an interview with a Valve employee or something, at FACE VALUE the game explains almost nothing to you.

I actually had this same criticism of Half-Life 2. All the story of why everything is as it is is "explained" by way of a single bulletin board in Eli's lab that I completely missed in my first playthrough. I wanted to know what actually happened and how things came to be, and interestingly enough, the only explanation that exists is to be had by reading 3rd party websites where people speculate on what happened. In-game, at face value, you wake up on a train, and just like in Half-Life 1, you're thrust from one event to another. Somehow a bunch of rebels start following you, even though you just fell into them by circumstance.

In fact, had I not played Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2 might be one of the most poorly presented, confusing game ever. Consider the fact that Barney is a meta-joke from Half-Life 1, how all the guards look and sound alike, and in Half-Life 2 we're supposed to be great friends. Thoughts might go along with "Where am I? Why are there aliens? Why am I in Russia (never did figure that out)? Who is this guy? What's a combine?" None of those questions are officially answered in the game.

If anything, it makes the G-Man's speech at the beginning more interesting, because he seems to know that Freeman is a bumbling seemingly immortal fuckup and everything he touches falls to total shit, so just throw him into the machinery and watch it all grind to a halt.

Of course I complained about that when Half-Life 2 came out but I got accused of having to be 'spoon-fed' the plot

While you can wax intellectual about what's actually happening because of some slipped hint in an interview with a Valve employee or something, at FACE VALUE the game explains almost nothing to you.

I actually had this same criticism of Half-Life 2. All the story of why everything is as it is is "explained" by way of a single bulletin board in Eli's lab that I completely missed in my first playthrough. I wanted to know what actually happened and how things came to be, and interestingly enough, the only explanation that exists is to be had by reading 3rd party websites where people speculate on what happened. In-game, at face value, you wake up on a train, and just like in Half-Life 1, you're thrust from one event to another. Somehow a bunch of rebels start following you, even though you just fell into them by circumstance.

In fact, had I not played Half-Life 1, Half-Life 2 might be one of the most poorly presented, confusing game ever. Consider the fact that Barney is a meta-joke from Half-Life 1, how all the guards look and sound alike, and in Half-Life 2 we're supposed to be great friends. Thoughts might go along with "Where am I? Why are there aliens? Why am I in Russia (never did figure that out)? Who is this guy? What's a combine?" None of those questions are officially answered in the game.

If anything, it makes the G-Man's speech at the beginning more interesting, because he seems to know that Freeman is a bumbling seemingly immortal fuckup and everything he touches falls to total shit, so just throw him into the machinery and watch it all grind to a halt.

Of course I complained about that when Half-Life 2 came out but I got accused of having to be 'spoon-fed' the plot

Well that's because it'll all be explained to you over the course of the games. Though I think it's fairly obvious what the answers are anyway. Some questions like, "Why am I in Russia." (even though you're not in Russia) are probably never going to be explained for lack of reason to be. Why do you need to know what country it is in the game? You don't really.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

he carries them in his mouth, hence why he doesn't talk

you'll probably find it best to deal with things i say by not taking me seriously

I'm pretty sure that's working as designed though, the game unfolds in such a way where for those interested in the story there are things that can be observed and other all there in the manual material that gives proper explanation, yet if you just want to go and play the game and don't give a darn about the backstory, there isn't hours of exposition in the game about everything that's going on

TL;DR I am upset with how nonchalant and nonsensical Freeman is in a very serious situation

Because if he didn't act that way, it wouldn't be funny? >_______>

While I don't agree with everything you say, I do think he should at least know what he's doing when gets to Xen. It would really bug me if he kills a giant alien abomination and saves the world by an accident. On an unrelated note, how will Ross actually get Freeman to Xen? It's just not in character. Will he just decide to be a hero and go? No, probably not, that's not in character. Will he just go insane and jump through? Maybe, it would be make a little sense. Will he just talk over the scientist while he tells him what the portal does, ignoring his warnings, think it leads to the surface, and just jump through? Most likely, since that's actually pretty in character, though I hope that doesn't happen. It would be really stupid on his part.

While I don't agree with everything you say, I do think he should at least know what he's doing when gets to Xen. It would really bug me if he kills a giant alien abomination and saves the world by an accident. On an unrelated note, how will Ross actually get Freeman to Xen? It's just not in character. Will he just decide to be a hero and go? No, probably not, that's not in character. Will he just go insane and jump through? Maybe, it would be make a little sense. Will he just talk over the scientist while he tells him what the portal does, ignoring his warnings, think it leads to the surface, and just jump through? Most likely, since that's actually pretty in character, though I hope that doesn't happen. It would be really stupid on his part.

It will all be explained when our savior, Ross Scott, allows us to see his splendor. Time will tell my child. Time will tell.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

ross's freeman often does stupidly heroic things on the sole basis that he has been down all other passages, but i would like it if he saved the world in order to be lazier in the long run, and then he can bitch about it all the way through hl2

Who ever said Freeman was a static character?

I see those criticisms as perfectly valid.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I saw only one interesting thing in this thread, a thing that wasn't even noticed by anybody.

"In fact, I'm expecting him to be completely silent for the first fifty seconds that he's on Xen (rather uncharacteristic of the series) as his enfeebled, sleep-deprived mind tries to make sense of what the hell is really going on."

This was posted by MadDogBV

I think this is the solution. Freeman just shutting the fuck up !

That would really really show how bad the situation is. As far as I know, Freeman never stopped speaking for at least twenty seconds.

There, he would suddenly be, for at least 50 seconds, totally voiceless.

It would just be awesome !!