Science Questions

Sign in to follow this  

A thread dedicated to answering questions related to science. Before we start, BTG and pro-evolution debaters, don't let it go there, please. In scientific context we shall refer to the theory of evolution as fact, don't bother debating this, my bottom point is that we're doing this just because it's more scientifically fun. Anyways...

Question: Can quantum entanglement violate causality?

I haven't worked with quantum mechanics in a while so forgive any mistakes.

If the pair of atoms are set up to send bits, then one person decides to travel near speed of light or hang out near a heavy mass and time moves differently for both, couldn't we violate causality by sending messeges?

You would be able to communicate to the future(and vice versa)

You could set up an experiment where while (future person) interacting with (past person in future{longer wait}) while sending a messege to past person in past not to interact.

So, what would happen or where did i go wrong? Or is this chopped up as an incompatibility between relativity andthe quantum world.

*raises hand cautiously* I have a question. Why do men have nipples?

Sorry for not answering to your question, Dan-95.

A thread dedicated to answering questions related to science. Before we start, BTG and pro-evolution debaters, don't let it go there, please. In scientific context we shall refer to the theory of evolution as fact, don't bother debating this, my bottom point is that we're doing this just because it's more scientifically fun. Anyways...

Question: Can quantum entanglement violate causality?

I haven't worked with quantum mechanics in a while so forgive any mistakes.

If the pair of atoms are set up to send bits, then one person decides to travel near speed of light or hang out near a heavy mass and time moves differently for both, couldn't we violate causality by sending messeges?

You would be able to communicate to the future(and vice versa)

You could set up an experiment where while (future person) interacting with (past person in future{longer wait}) while sending a messege to past person in past not to interact.

So, what would happen or where did i go wrong? Or is this chopped up as an incompatibility between relativity andthe quantum world.

What if it was the receiving of those messages that caused us to develop the technology to correctly send messages to the past?

But yeah, who knows what could happen.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Men can actually breastfeed.

Men can actually breastfeed.

stewie-breast-feeding-7.jpg

And that, kids, is the reason I did not reply to that question.

EDIT: Oh... I hope I don't get banned from Alyxx *Fingers Crossed*

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

So, what would happen or where did i go wrong? Or is this chopped up as an incompatibility between relativity and the quantum world.

I would say so. Einstein postulated it was evidence that quantum theory is incomplete (he didn't really like quantum theory), but entanglement has since been proven to exist and be a fundamental part of quantum mechanics. You can fall into the multiple universes explanation, say flat out that entanglement doesn't imply causality, say that it's impossible to effectively transmit information over an entangled system (thus preserving causality), or loose your mind and go eat some cake

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

What is causing the Pioneer Anomaly?

What will happen to the current system of particle observation if there are observable components of matter or anti-matter smaller than the angstrom?

Why aren't bladeless turbines implemented more often?

What is the cause of consciousness?

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Rephrase please, or make a graph, I got mind raped.

Try to understand my opinion, I think that the farther something is away from you, the more in the past the vision is. I can assume by my logic as far as the assumption that time is the fastest thing in the world and the norm if anything is faster then time then it is probably something from another world (A confusing statement, I know). You can notice that with a star the best. When we see a star dying, we know it really died a long time ago. But the effect of it will not reach us untill the future.

Here's my vague thoughts... I'm not a physics expert but I can see logic in some things.

EDIT: Convert light waves to radio waves, message waves and you see why it's not going to work in my opinion. Although I didn't really understand what you meant

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I'm no physics expert either, but I don't think "time" itself moves, space-time can bend, but I don't think it can move(isn't it everywhere at once?). The speed of light causes those delays because of how big space is.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

I'm no physics expert either, but I don't think "time" itself moves, space-time can bend, but I don't think it can move(isn't it everywhere at once?). The speed of light causes those delays because of how big space is.

In any case it must be a constant (Very High likelyhood that at least one thing in this universe is constant if there is inconsistency, like Anti-matter and matter). And I think it moves is more likely then it doesn't because time must have some kind of energy. And Energy is connected to movement. Unless you think time has 0 energy, that could somehow make sense if time is illusional and doesn't exist but which do you prefer....

Somebody go watch Star Trek... (not the "Enterprise" series) That's how I see the problem of time travel/communications.

What is causing the Pioneer Anomaly?

Could be aliens... We may never know.

What will happen to the current system of particle observation if there are observable components of matter or anti-matter smaller than the angstrom?

Nothing should happen.

Because they aren't really understood very well.

What is the cause of consciousness?

Unknown at this time. Some think it's the impressive collection of mini-processors (currently called neurons) combined with a massive memory storage area that causes it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

@ J.C

True, i vote cake

@ Smartguy

OK, i'm no good with models or graphs so i'll just expand on what i meant.

By observing one of the degrees of freedom of one of two entangled 'twins' the other twins value is automatically known. This can be used to send information in the form of binary or other code (if it had more degrees of freedom). The information is transmitted instantaneously, ignoring the speed limit, no matter where the other particle is. If this is true then you should be able to send information to two different reference frames (and according to relativity, both are right.) If so, you would be able to send information of each others circumstance and thus be able to communicate through space/time. You could have agreed to interact at some point with other person but still be able to communicate using the entanglement communicator, enabling you to violate causality. No time travel required

@btg

lul'd at the consciousness metaphor

Which is among the dumber reasons why people prefer inefficient machines to do work.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

Which is among the dumber reasons why people prefer inefficient machines to do work.

I agree completely.

@ Smartguy

OK, i'm no good with models or graphs so i'll just expand on what i meant.

By observing one of the degrees of freedom of one of two entangled 'twins' the other twins value is automatically known. This can be used to send information in the form of binary or other code (if it had more degrees of freedom). The information is transmitted instantaneously, ignoring the speed limit, no matter where the other particle is. If this is true then you should be able to send information to two different reference frames (and according to relativity, both are right.) If so, you would be able to send information of each others circumstance and thus be able to communicate through space/time. You could have agreed to interact at some point with other person but still be able to communicate using the entanglement communicator, enabling you to violate causality. No time travel required

You are talking about teleports.

I'm going to expand on this answer later but so far the problem is

(if it had more degrees of freedom)

The whole statement collapses there.

'If it had more degrees of freedom' is just stating a possibility, binary works fine. Or is that not just what you were refering to?

My question; why do people support the stupid as hell Abyssal Zone? INTERTIDAL ZONE FOREVER.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

@ Dan-95: Whoops, I somehow misread that part.

Ok, now to the topic:

I think I understand everything now, you are using what we know of entangled twins from experiments/ltheoretical laws and hypothesizing what we could do then IF we learned how to use these properly.

Well, first, I did some research, check out this info to get you a better view on this:

Quantum teleportation, or entanglement-assisted teleportation, is a process by which a qubit (the basic unit of quantum information) can be transmitted exactly (in principle) from one location to another, without the qubit being transmitted through the intervening space. It is useful for quantum information processing, however it does not immediately transmit classical information, and therefore cannot be used for communication at superluminal (faster than light) speed. Quantum teleportation is unrelated to the common term teleportation - it does not transport the system itself, and does not concern rearranging particles to copy the form of an object.

The seminal paper first expounding the idea was published by Charles Bennett and coauthors in 1993. It was first confirmed experimentally in 1997 by a group in Innsbruck and has subsequently been shown to work over distances of up to 16 kilometers.

Work in 1998 verified the initial results, and in August 2004 increased the distance of teleportation to 600 meters using optical fiber. The longest distance yet claimed to be achieved for quantum teleportation is 16 km (10 miles) in May 2010 by Chinese scientists over free-space with an average of 89% accuracy. In April of 2011, experimenters reported that they had demonstrated teleportation of wave packets of light up to a bandwidth of 10 MHz while preserving strongly nonclassical superposition states.

Secondly, now to the philosophical part, it seems like time travel has too many paradoxes and illogical support to work, one reason being, why we have still not received any obvious information from the future, the two same people at the same time paradox... etc etc.

So it is very unlikely or logically almost certainly impossible to time travel/send infromation to the past in the same world.

This leaves two options though, it is questonable if time travel to the future, or, time travel to a parallel world is possible. From some perspections it is logical, from others it is unlikely.

There is almost nothing suggesting parallel worlds.

Time travel to the future is very likely, and for some, already possible but we don't know how much use this could bring.

So why did the astronomy community remove Pluto as a planet?

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 42 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.