Linux gamers

I’m your stereotypical Linuxoid and even I am not refined enough to use it for games.

IMHO it makes more sense to just admit that this is one (single) task which is better done by Windows.

In my opinion, an OS is (and should be treated as) but a layer between the hardware and the application. It’s the application that the user interacts with, not the OS. Hence, the quality of an OS is measured by how well it allows the application to run.

For most (I’d say the overwhelming majority) of applications, Linux does a better job at this. For games – no.

Thus, I do just that – treat Windows as a (thin) layer needed to run games. I have a separate SSD with Windows 10 installed, and on top of it, the only installed applications are games. Whenever I have spare time to play, I physically attach it to the motherboard, physically detach everything else (both operations boil down to pressing a button), and play the game.

Since I use Windows for nothing else – even the process of buying these games is done from Linux – it is physically unable to harm (e.g. spy on) anything important I do. Even if it breaks after one of the updates, the worst thing that will happen is that I won’t be able to play games. It won’t be good, but compared to the utter catastrophe that looms above anyone using Windows for crucial tasks like work, this is nothing.

Come the full moon, the bat flies whose boiling blood shall stem the tide.

On 6/19/2022 at 4:20 AM, ScumCoder said:

Thus, I do just that – treat Windows as a (thin) layer needed to run games. I have a separate SSD with Windows 10 installed, and on top of it, the only installed applications are games. Whenever I have spare time to play, I physically attach it to the motherboard, physically detach everything else (both operations boil down to pressing a button), and play the game.

Nothing like internally air-gapping your own system against Windows.

Long term I'm eventually looking to switch over to Linux, but haven't decided yet how I want to handle the whole gaming situation. If I go the dual boot route, might keep this idea in mind.

I've more or less permanently switched to Linux and so far gaming has not been a problem for me. Most modern games run fine with Proton/Wine through Steam or Heroic Games Launcher for Epic and GOG.

I run Windows XP in a VM for some older games that either don't have Linux source ports or straight up refuses to work through Wine but that's a very small number of games.

Naturally you won't get the same performance as on Windows so if that's a big concern then running Windows games natively is of course the better option. But I just can't stand Windows anymore so I'd rather take the performance hit since the compatibility has become so high at this point.

Edited by Alyxx Thorne (see edit history)

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com