EA killing off Bioware Points on 11 October 2022

Sign in to follow this  

I got an email last night that read as follows :

Hello,

We’re reaching out to let you know that starting October 11, 2022, BioWare Points will no longer be available as a form of currency in the Origin store. Other currencies like Crystals and Platinum in other BioWare titles remain unaffected.

To support you through this change, most DLC (downloadable content) that was previously only purchasable with BioWare Points are now available free of charge. This includes DLC for the following titles:

Dragon Age II

Dragon Age: Origins

Mass Effect 2

Mass Effect 3 (except Multiplayer Packs)

For the next 90 days, you can use your BioWare Points to purchase Multiplayer Packs for Mass Effect 3. After October 11, 2022, Multiplayer Packs will only be redeemable using Credits you’ve earned in-game.

Don’t worry — you’ll still have access to any content previously purchased using BioWare Points.

We’re here to support you if you have any questions on this, just reach out to EA Help.

Happy gaming,
The EA team

What this means is that, for old Bioware games you own, DLC is free after October. It's not exactly huge news, but I thought it was pretty interesting that if you held off on getting DLC back in the day, you will now be able to get it for free. And that, if you actually paid money for Bioware Points (a currency), that currency will be worth nothing in a few months.

I'm always happy to see weird industry trends die off years later. It really goes to show that they were never a sustainable thing in the first place.

Here's an article with some more information.

Fuck, man. Everything. I push buttons. I turn dials. I read numbers. Sometimes I make up little stories in my head about what the numbers mean.