UNREAL

I don't feel like people talk about this game And I think Unreal should deserve way more praise. Get this unreal Came out before half life But then it was overshadowed by half-life.

f5d47eca37a7097368fa4652740853f5967a41c88fbc15775e1aad12a03d4a80_email_600_2x.jpg

The original Unreal is considered obscure? If so that's pretty surprising, considering the Unreal Engine has been one of the most popularly used ones out there across the years.

I remember playing it when it came out, it was pretty impressive for the time from what I remember. I actually replayed the gold edition off GOG a couple years ago, was still a fun game.

sorry, meant doom, not duke, but duke 3D and quake 3 did have pretty ok engines
duke 3D
image.thumb.png.65eb1a6bfbbba9dcd29877b503be284d.png

Quake 3

image.thumb.png.06d2dc5d2d0b29fe14b5b2e0a95bbfc9.png

Unreal

image.thumb.png.c867e967b5f9d9e87d5fcf64c7ea8afb.png

Edited by kerdios (see edit history)

Burn the World!

I wouldn't consider it obscure either. It was the reason to buy a new PC at its day, and the Unreal engines still bear its name. 

On 7/16/2022 at 4:15 PM, kerdios said:

AFAIK it was just another duke/quake clone

You couldn't be more wrong. I assume you didn't play it back in the day. Some consider it a milestone in term of storytelling and graphics. But while this was impressive, it was really a pinnacle in level- and worldbuilding.

The most lasting effect however was its multiplayer mode, especially the competent bots. This was so great that the later installations - Unreal Tournament - just focused on this aspect. Quake III Arena, that you posted a pictue of,  came out a whole year later and it tried to copy it. Quite badly, I thought at the time.

Duke Nukem 3D is still a sprite-based game. I don't know in which way you mean that this is similar. 

Sadly, it never had a worthy sequel. Unreal 2 pretty much trashed all the aspects that made Unreal good and is just another bland early 2000s FPS.

Edited by biosynth8 (see edit history)

On 7/17/2022 at 7:25 PM, biosynth8 said:

I wouldn't consider it obscure either. It was the reason to buy a new PC at its day, and the Unreal engines still bear its name. 

You couldn't be more wrong. I assume you didn't play it back in the day. Some consider it a milestone in term of storytelling and graphics. But while this was impressive, it was really a pinnacle in level- and worldbuilding.

The most lasting effect however was its multiplayer mode, especially the competent bots. This was so great that the later installations - Unreal Tournament - just focused on this aspect. Quake III Arena, that you posted a pictue of,  came out a whole year later and it tried to copy it. Quite badly, I thought at the time.

Duke Nukem 3D is still a sprite-based game. I don't know in which way you mean that this is similar. 

Sadly, it never had a worthy sequel. Unreal 2 pretty much trashed all the aspects that made Unreal good and is just another bland early 2000s FPS.

yeah, no :) , I never had enough cash to buy the best pc and state of the art games so I never got around to playing all those FPSs that came out, plus I never was one to be very enthusiastic about FPSs, so even though I have heard about Unreal, I've never actually played it. (except maybe a demo of a story-less PvP mode which would have turned me off of it immediately).

Burn the World!