Hello, I'm SlashBolt!

Hi.

I've been a fan of Ross's for years. I was aware of these forums but always held off on making an account. Lately, I've noticed that in addition to discussing video games and projects from Accursed Farms, there's also the option to discuss another interest of Ross's that is unfortunately niche: THE END OF THE CIVILIZED WORLD AS WE KNOW IT.

I've got a lot of thoughts on this topic, its symptoms, possible preventative methods, and so on. Unfortunately, there aren't a lot of places on the internet where I can discuss it. Twitter is a corporatized hellscape, and abiding by their restrictive measures is akin to self-censorship not defined by the bounds of threatening any institution, but by invalidating the subjective feelings of any one of its powerusers. 4chan's politics board /pol/ has been co-opted by neo-pagan White Supremacists and Bad Actors who pretend to be the former, poisoning any honest discussion of the state of our world with demagogic buzzwords and misplaced blame on any one of a variety of marginalized groups. It seems that this website can be an outlet for my frustrations with modernity, and also to discuss cool video games.

I quite like Deus Ex and the Half-Life Franchise. I wish that all the problems of our world could be attributed to a Bob Page, or a Combine, but things aren't so simple.

Edited by SlashBolt (see edit history)

'ello.

I've been thinking about this topic as well for a while, but my irl friends understandably find depressing, whilst I find it morbidly fascinating. In History we learn about the rise and fall of many great civilisations. No matter how massive, powerful or enlightened, every civilisation in history rises, peaks, then eventually collapses. The Mesopotamians, Greeks, Egyptians, Romans, Persians, Ottomans (just off the top of my head) all eventually fell and our modern civilisations will certainly do the same. The bigger they were, the harder they fell and our current civilisation is more advanced than any other in recorded history, thus the fall will be catastrophic.

So Slashbolt, is there really anything that can realisticly be done to avoid the fate of every known Civilisation? I'd love to hear what your thoughts.

Fate is a like economics. It's only predictable in hindsight 

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"

On 8/24/2022 at 5:14 PM, Roindarb said:

So Slashbolt, is there really anything that can realisticly be done to avoid the fate of every known Civilisation? I'd love to hear what your thoughts.

If we buckled down as a species and worked out asteroid mining really fast we could solve material and energy scarcity in one fell swoop. You said 'realistic' though, and even though mining asteroids is theoretically possible, with our current technology and state priorities it is not within our grasp.

Realistically, affecting change is difficult for little people like us. Besides organizing political movements that seek to address the issues we face(read: EXTREMELY DIFFICULT), all we really can do is live our lives.

Unrealistically, I say we lead a global coup and install Ross as the Administrator of Earth. I doubt he'd want the job, but that just qualifies him for leadership even more, since he isn't corrupted by the ambition of power.

I used look at life from the sidelines with morbid fascination like you. Then I got a job, food, rent. I know how much a copper penny is worth, but I would still rather trade that for bread than a bounty ear necklace. 

"Fleet Intelligence Coming Online"