Show off/critique custom content!

Sign in to follow this  

250897_1794535502326_1207851809_31587400_6159051_n.jpg

The first puzzle area from a horror map I'm making.

I've been trying to think of ways to keep the support beams from just going into the walls, any suggestions?

100 percent average every time, all the time.

Add wedge shaped support:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgbCY2EPaK00w_AAxiSKJlKrBieB-xxAqqkjZAnvBc-mQwkWwukw&t=1

image.php?AttachmentID=281

or make slimmer:

SuperStock_1779R-13529.jpg

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

The first puzzle area from a horror map I'm making.

I've been trying to think of ways to keep the support beams from just going into the walls, any suggestions?

Raise the roof (no pun intended), I'd say about 16 - 32 units, measuring from where the roof meets the top of the wall on the left of the image.

Most structures be it a house or a commercial building, have crawl spaces in between floors or in this case the roof and the ceiling or where the ceiling would be. These spaces are reserved for insulation, pipes and electrical wiring amongst other things. 16 units for a house and I'd say 32 - 64 for a commercial building.

By raising the roof up and adding a wall 16, 32 or 64 units high (and placing it on top of the wall on the left) would give you the space you need to move the heavy cross beams up, on top of the original wall.

EDIT:

To be honest if you want a simple answer, just change the wall texture to one the doesn't have that 3D effect with the molding at the top. that effect is nice but when you have beams and that fence pressing against it, the effect is ruined. Then again I'm a perfectionist which is why I had so much trouble finishing maps in the first place.

trainx.png

lont dook its not done

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

trainx.png

lont dook its not done

Milkshape? :)

Cool train, used a real model for it?

Is it going to be an NPC entity or just a model? :D

I think the door is too small though.

And how would someone be able to go inside though!?

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Maya 2011

Deustche BundesBahn Baureihe 23, last steam engine built and operated by the German National Railroad in 1950. 10 Survivors exist, several of them still operational. Notably No. 23-023, 23-042 and 23-104.

You have no idea how much I wish I could make an NPC out of a Vehicle in Source Engine. To be a model, I'll be having to crush down the detail be a factor of 5- MDLs have a ceiling of 20,000 tris.

It's the perspective that's skewing how big the cab is. Then again, fiction usually gives us a poor impression of how large most steam engines are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgXrwdScxg

Gorgeous thing, isn't she?

Maya 2011

Deustche BundesBahn Baureihe 23, last steam engine built and operated by the German National Railroad in 1950. 10 Survivors exist, several of them still operational. Notably No. 23-023, 23-042 and 23-104.

You have no idea how much I wish I could make an NPC out of a Vehicle in Source Engine. To be a model, I'll be having to crush down the detail be a factor of 5- MDLs have a ceiling of 20,000 tris.

It's the perspective that's skewing how big the cab is. Then again, fiction usually gives us a poor impression of how large most steam engines are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYgXrwdScxg

Gorgeous thing, isn't she?

The reason I don't have Maya is because of it's ridiculous cost, and I don't feel like pirating such an expensive tool, I almost feel guilty for that and I don't need it that much :)

Have you tried the realism city mod for Half-life 2? A project which I'm looking forward to very much.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/city-spb

It really brings city/life art into and uses the engine to the fullest. Any constructors or philosophers dream.

Put this train on a train station, it would be very awesome.

By the way, she has a nice big nose. ;)

GL, HF!

Unless that's the look you're going for, that is really really saturated color. Additionally, the floor is overexposed. Turn down the intensity of the lights. Instead of a rich yellow at medium or medium high intensity, it should be a very very light (slightly grayed) yellow at anywhere from medium to high intensity.

Yes, the light seems like very hot rods, it seemed so ridiculous I didn't even want to comment on it.

You can go much higher than 20,000 triangles, especially if you are using bodygroups to compile multiple reference .smds together. You probably would struggle to go over 60,000 but it is possible, there are a lot of models in Portal 2 that have even higher polycounts.

My 1969 Dodge Charger model has a polycount of nearly 40,000 and I have no trouble compiling that. I also recently made new wheels for it using a highpoly version of the tire to make a normal map.

viewportrenderoverview1.th.jpg2011052800007.th.jpg2011052800006.th.jpg2011052800001.th.jpg

If you want the model it's a part of my vehicle pack for Garry's mod, i'm also planning to make a replacement for the Jeep and Junker vehicle in the Half Life series.

http://www.facepunch.com/threads/918163-Master-Chris-s-Vehicle-Pack

You can go much higher than 20,000 triangles, especially if you are using bodygroups to compile multiple reference .smds together. You probably would struggle to go over 60,000 but it is possible, there are a lot of models in Portal 2 that have even higher polycounts.

My 1969 Dodge Charger model has a polycount of nearly 40,000 and I have no trouble compiling that. I also recently made new wheels for it using a highpoly version of the tire to make a normal map.

viewportrenderoverview1.th.jpg2011052800007.th.jpg2011052800006.th.jpg2011052800001.th.jpg

If you want the model it's a part of my vehicle pack for Garry's mod, i'm also planning to make a replacement for the Jeep and Junker vehicle in the Half Life series.

That's a cool car, but I just have to say that there's something about it that doesn't look natural :(

It's not only you, most race car companies have the same problem with the models.

NFS I'm not even going into, as that series uses too much bloom and effects instead of realistic feel.

The most natural models I've seen were in DTM Race Driver 3 so far.

Do you know what I mean?

The only custom content I ever made was a box in hammer that I made when I was supremely bored. :oops:

But uh... I can solve a Rubik's Cube! :)

That's a cool car, but I just have to say that there's something about it that doesn't look natural :(

It's not only you, most race car companies have the same problem with the models.

NFS I'm not even going into, as that series uses too much bloom and effects instead of realistic feel.

Do you know what I mean?

It doesn't look very natural because it's very clean. If you ruddy it up a bit, either with rust or with a tiny hint of city grime, that should do it.

Do you know what I mean?

Yeah I know what you mean, the problem is that real time renderers are very bad at making clean models look good which is why most textures and models in games are generally given either a lot of small details or a 'grungy' look with dirt and scratches to make the scene look busy and more interesting. It's not necessarily a bad thing, in fact games like Portal 2 use it to their advantage and I think the art direction there is superb. It is problematic though when you just want a nice, simple, clean look on your model because the source engine is especially bad at doing that because it doesn't use proper realtime reflections on models, instead it uses pre-rendered cubemaps set into the map at particular locations.

If anyone has seen or heard of a proper realtime reflection shader modification for the source engine I would love to hear about it, I don't care how buggy or inefficient it is I would just love to know.

Somehow I doubt I'd be able to make something like that.

It would probably be something in either Scripting or your VMT.

traingoing.png

23_042-4.jpg

Gah 208,000 tries is a pain to texture.

Just starting on the climb, we'll see how long it takes for me to reach the summit.

I see you've changed the number....

Also, nice to see your proect getting along. :) Pretty accurate o far.