Funny stories (hardware related).

Sign in to follow this  

My previous laptop ran very, VERY hot (resting temp was about 70C, under load it hit 100C). Although it did have vents underneath, the main exhaust area was on the left side. I mostly had problems with it overheating when it was on my bed or something (rather predictably), but regardless it was still hot. I bought a cooler for it to rest on very shortly after getting it, and never really had problems after that.

Until it finally burned out a few months ago. Now I have an Asus (old one was HP), also with the vent on the side and I have no problems with it. Under load it only gets to 50-60C, currently (not doing much, with my cooler on my desk) it's at 39C.

I think the main reason they don't put it on the back if the top part (where the screen is) is flush with the lower part (where the keyboard is) once the monitor is opened, it blocks the back edge. I'm sure this would be an easy problem to solve and I agree that it would be a nice design. It would also allow more room on the sides for more ports.

My dad's macbook pro was a heating disaster. There were no actual vents so it would overheat after maybe 5 minutes of running. I can't stand laptops anymore really. Terrible keyboards, almost zero serviceability, poor airflow, lower performance, higher price and a future proofing disaster. Maybe I'm just raging because I lost my first laptop to a stupid overheating incident.

i think this is a duplicate topic

original: viewtopic.php?f=56&t=1512

i'm locking it in a few minutes, if it isn't a duplicate then tell me now.

I don't think this is a duplicate. It's about laptop design while that thread is about hardware stories in general. More about critisizing laptops than just stories. I think...

well, yes, it's about laptops but Luis' topic covers hardware in general, besides it was a hardware related thread so in the the change was for the best.

i'll PM tuff about the change if you haven't done it already, Alyxx.

It's made like that so it heats your balls and make you sterile while the laptop sits in your lap.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Well, it's a funny story somewhat hardware related. But it's too good not to mention. I was sitting in the computer lab when I overhear the grade 6 teacher talking way too loud to her class. "You can't make all images to large because some don't have enough jpegs." It's may not be right to look down on people less technologically inclined, but sometimes it's too funny not to.

It's made like that so it heats your balls and make you sterile while the laptop sits in your lap.
So you can't produce more children that buy such poorly designed laptops? Natural selection at it's finest.

Well, it's a funny story somewhat hardware related. But it's too good not to mention. I was sitting in the computer lab when I overhear the grade 6 teacher talking way too loud to her class. "You can't make all images to large because some don't have enough jpegs." It's may not be right to look down on people less technologically inclined, but sometimes it's too funny not to.

Oh my! ಠ_ಠ

And that was the person teaching them computing!?

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Oh my! ಠ_ಠ

And that was the person teaching them computing!?

Most computer classes involve a typing program from ~2005 and Microsoft Word. There are very few people in my entire school, or entire life for that matter, that have any idea how a computer works

Funny story... I went to Job Corps (US Government funded Vocational College, with dorms) and got into their 'Computer Repair' class. The teacher first asked me how many IRQs a computer had, and I answered with: "Well, I used to have a semi-busted one that only had 15, but usually there's 16." It kinda pissed him off that I answered correctly. (nobody else in his 20-year long career as a comp repair teacher has ever known that) Then he handed me a really old floppy drive cable, and told me to tell him everything about it. I did. He was a bit miffed, but was trying to be high-and-mighty because I missed something. He mentioned that miss to the rest of the class, but didn't get a chance to say what it was, because I then asked why I needed to mention it when it was one of the most obvious features of that cable. (it was the pin-1 designator color on the cable) He stopped trying to stump me with questions about computers after that.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Once, my brother dropped my laptop down the stairs. That is all. :|

Did it survive?

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Like a month ago, I was building a gaming PC from scratch, which was pretty much the first interaction into computer hardware I had ever undertaken. When I was done, I couldn't get it to turn on for like a week. I kept taking the RAM out and putting it back in. Eventually, I discovered that my great mistake was that I had plugged the power button wire into the mobo backwards (the power pin was connected to the ground socket, and vice versa). Flipped them back and it worked perfectly. I was simultaneously delighted and furious with myself.

Like a month ago, I was building a gaming PC from scratch, which was pretty much the first interaction into computer hardware I had ever undertaken. When I was done, I couldn't get it to turn on for like a week. I kept taking the RAM out and putting it back in. Eventually, I discovered that my great mistake was that I had plugged the power button wire into the mobo backwards (the power pin was connected to the ground socket, and vice versa). Flipped them back and it worked perfectly. I was simultaneously delighted and furious with myself.

You got lucky, the first time I built a PC I forgot to put the isolators between the motherboard and the case and as soon as I powered it up a spark slowly came out of the CPU fan and trollfaced me. Mobo AND CPU were dead and that brings us to the story i opened this thread with :P

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Helped a friend build a computer late last week. She ordered a Silverstone Raven 3rd revision case and a corsair power supply. Problem was, in that combination, the case and PSU were incompatible. Why? The extender cable inside the raven had the flat end on the opposite end of the cable, and was too short to twist to fit the PSU. However, instead of replacing the PSU, she sent the case back in and got a different one. It made me giggle, but wasn't surprising.

One of my classmates was doing how to do SLI for the final exam and accidentally called the graphics card the graphics mother.

When I got my laptop the hard drives were partitioned into 4 total drive and still currently has no support for RAID 0. Out of 1TB, that left like 240gb of space that I could use.

Two drive bays and no RAID support? What?

If you own a Gateway FX model, you may know about this:

My particular model has an interesting feature: there's a compartment for you to slot in extra hard drives. The way this works is that you put the hard drives on these plastic carrier-things, and then you push them into slots. Basically, it allows you to put in extra hard drives without having to open up the case, which is neat, but it seems like something that could have been invented years ago.