Group interview / Meeting of The Minds

Hey everyone, here's a link to a group Q&A session I did a week or two ago with people creating "mind" series for other games with mostly silent protagonists, of which there are many. I was invited to it directly after the caboos15 interview and since "The Tunnel" has been completed for a while now, I don't mind doing PR stuff again. It's a long discussion session and I don't remember everything that was said while recording or before/after, but you're welcome to check it out:

MP3 download

I believe there were supposed to be up to 7 other people, but not everyone showed up. It's almost 2 hours long, so I don't recommend listening to this unless you have time to kill. It did cover some topics not discussed in other interviews I've done, but it might bore people who don't work with the Source engine at some points also.

In the future I plan to make a separate section on the site for all interviews conducted so far, but that's still on the "to do" list.

this interview seemed uncomfortable. At least, it seemed more like a conversation than an interview, but I guess that's how it's going to turn out with more than 2 people. if those 7 other people showed up it would have been... interesting.

It's more of a Q&A than an interview. We didn't devise any of these questions, they were all sent to us through people who watch our own series. Anyway, thanks a lot for posting this, Ross.

I see. Well, it did introduce to me the existence of other 'mind' series, which makes sense now that I think about it, so I enjoyed it for that and to hear a little bit about them.

i listened to the first half hour of the interview, and i would like to tell you Ross that i also like Civil Protection more than Freeman's Mind. i've seen your episodes long before you started Freeman's Mind, because at that age i was dumb and addicted to Half Life 2, and ran over your CP episodes on YouTube. what can i say, i liked the way you messed up with Mike and Dave, and their different yet interesting personalities you gave them..i realised you really worked on the project and i started following every episode. then you started Freeman's Mind, and that was very different compared to Civil Protection, and i don't want you to thing i hate Freeman's Mind, it's pretty..what pretty, it's damn good!, but..yeah, i like Mike getting hurt more. :D

i would like to wish you good luck at making more CP and FM and a lot of support from the fans (which you cannot doubt of). and i also wish you to exploit the great ideas you have and whack us with your genius.

have a good day!

i listened to the first half hour of the interview, and i would like to tell you Ross that i also like Civil Protection more than Freeman's Mind. i've seen your episodes long before you started Freeman's Mind, because at that age i was dumb and addicted to Half Life 2, and ran over your CP episodes on YouTube. what can i say, i liked the way you messed up with Mike and Dave, and their different yet interesting personalities you gave them..i realised you really worked on the project and i started following every episode. then you started Freeman's Mind, and that was very different compared to Civil Protection, and i don't want you to thing i hate Freeman's Mind, it's pretty..what pretty, it's damn good!, but..yeah, i like Mike getting hurt more. :D

I'm with you 100%, though every time I stall FM to work on something else, this is the kind of vibe I pick up:

Populism--angry+mob.jpg

And after a month or so of no FM videos, every video from the series gets comments like, "Thumbs up if you want Freeman's Mind to get rebooted! The creator shouldn't have ended the series here!"

I would have to say it's something else for two reasons, one, Machinima didn't upload it, and two, "Mystery Episode" is still on the Episode Progress.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I haven't finished but ten minutes and will watch it off and on. I liked the pics they put in.

Can't believe some of you haven't seen the other Minds. lol Shepard's Mind would probably be the second best, in my opinion. Freeman's Mind of course is #1.

I'm with you 100%, though every time I stall FM to work on something else, this is the kind of vibe I pick up:

th_Populism--angrymob.jpg

Well... at least we all seem to be pretty sharp dressers, if you ask me.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

Just finished watching it.

The Game music remix site that was mentioned is OCRemix. I go there pretty regularly so it instantly rang a bell.

http://ocremix.org/

Stands for OverClocked Remix.

A link in case Scott decides to revisit this thread for any reason.

I found the microphone discussion to be pretty interesting as I'm looking for a microphone that I'll be able to record my music with. I was thinking of something decently advanced but with noise in other rooms, it may be better to go with something mediocre. But I don't know. A voice and an instrument have pretty different range over all.

I watched the first 30 min before I got distracted by multiple shiny objects I discovered in my room. Was pretty entertaining. Gonna watch the rest the next moment of freetime I get. must remove shinies ahead of time though.

Retired Forum Moderator

Somehow, I feel this needs to be stickied in the FM section.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Listened to the whole thing, and was surprised with comments. "Half-Life is popular." In nearly all of my classes at school, I was the ONLY one who had ever heard of Half-Life. All were hooked on Modern Warfare, and Assassin's Creed (I like that series now, but never played it till my last year of High School), and whatever the new stuff was.

A handful of students (two or three) in classes knew of Half-Life.

The damnedest thing: The teachers were more likely to have heard of it. Some of them being gamers. Was kind of cool.