Dwarf Fortress

Sign in to follow this  

I'm not entirely sure how obscure DF is, but I assume this is the best place to put this thread.

http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

If anyone is familiar with the game/is interested in learning how to play, I'd be willing to set up a fortress that can be passed around, allowing anyone to continue where the last person left off.

If you have heard of the game before, you would probably be aware of its reputation of being a difficult game to grasp (due to all the items being represented by ascii characters and general lack of instructions), but you get the hang of it eventually, and I'd be willing to answer any questions/point you in the direction of tutorials. But, hey, it's a free game.

I'm inclined to wait until ToadyOne (the dev) releases the next update just for the added focus on undead, so until then I'll leave this here to see how much interest there might be to do this.

Here's what the average succession fort is like:

http://lparchive.org/Dwarf-Fortress-Boatmurdered/Introduction/

There is a summary of the game at the beginning; this is probably the easiest introduction to the game.

Planning on trying the game yourself? Here's your bible:

http://df.magmawiki.com/

More succession forts if you wish to read on (as well as community forts and stories):

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=41896.0

EDIT: perhaps this might be better fit in gaming general

Oldschool ASCII graphics ftw! Seriously, it looks like one of those late 80's DOS games you'd download from BBS systems, kind of like Scott Miller's Kroz series. I'll leave it in the Obscure PC Games section for now since I have never heard of it before and I doubt anyone else has. Seems it would be quite popular with gamers who grew up with ASCII DOS games.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

There's no need to have any experience!

In fact, I find it's more fun to play after someone who killed half the population and half assed walling in a dozen forgotten beasts than someone who perfected the fort into self sufficiency.

fantastic. We'll see if there's any more interest in it and if there's enough, I'll start it off and make up a tutorial on how to download the file and upload it into your game.

I enjoy DF, have played it for quite a while and am still no good at it. I would be willing to join in for lots of fun of various types.

fantastic

this would be plenty to get a good succession game going

Oldschool ASCII graphics ftw! Seriously, it looks like one of those late 80's DOS games you'd download from BBS systems, kind of like Scott Miller's Kroz series. I'll leave it in the Obscure PC Games section for now since I have never heard of it before and I doubt anyone else has. Seems it would be quite popular with gamers who grew up with ASCII DOS games.

An oldschool 80's type game that only requires 512MB of RAM :shock:

I've heard of this game before, and have been considering trying it out as what I've read about it seems fairly interesting.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Looks sort of like Minecraft's great great grandfather.

Notch has said he was inspired by Dwarf Fortress when making Minecraft.

That and something called "Infiniminer"

After nearly 11 months, a new update is now available for Dwarf Fortress. Undoubtedly, a quick succession of more new updates will come in the next few days to fix bugs and patch various things, but here is what has been added to the game:

New stuff

* cities in adventure mode that have various buildings, dungeons, items, livestock, etc.

* protect your community from secret vampire dwarves or hunt them as an adventurer

* defend your fort during the full moon or risk a werewolf infestion -- hunt/be hunted as an adventurer

* face armies of the dead in dwarf mode or visit their necromancers' towers and learn their secrets as an adventurer

* evil regions where the dead and pieces of the dead can come alive, with evil mists and rain

* tombs built in world gen which can be visited in adv mode, either beneath towns or out in the wilds -- beware the dead!

* revamped justice/witness/death notification system in dwarf mode

* immigrants to your fortress will now be historical figures whenever possible, which means more family relationships and history for each one

* dropped items/bodies tracked between plays in the wilderness anywhere in the world

* more battlefield information tracked/war dead raisable in world gen

* all sponsorship animals and their giant/man versions are in the game now

* various new abilities for creatures (see file_changes.txt for list and syntax)

* adventurers can use creature abilities/learned powers and they can be tested from the arena

* new site travel map to make navigating towns easier

* reading/swimming/observer (for traps) relevant in adv mode now

* established historical figures can lead bandits

* rivers block movement in adv mode travel

* eating/drinking required in adv mode

* ingested syndromes are now possible

* ability to make campfire (from 'g') and warm items at campfire/fire/magma (from 'I') in adv mode

* traps work in adv mode, once spotted they can be ignored

* gems now have different cuts

* necromancers can write books about various topics (all books are in their towers as it stands)

* moon phase indicator in fort

* alphanumeric world gen seeds and some more world gen params (see file_changes.txt)

* the legends xml has a lot of new info for historical figures

Major bug fixes

* buffer overload from aborted world gen fixed

* fixed cave-in-on-embark issue with hidden underground structure, and a few others

Other bug fixes/tweaks

* designations over z levels all at once now possible

* unit screen divided into four sections

* rivers/pools have ramps now

* able to trade portions of stacks in both modes

* messed with adv mode currency trading and made items teleport to you

* tweaked how fire damage works

* made vision work through floor grates and bars properly

* fixed some road/bridge problems

* crystal glass items possible again

* tweaked adventure mode swimming and alt-movement readout (use alt-movement to get into a river you want to cross)

* skeletons/zombies replaced by animation effect

* demons masquerading as gods will try a little harder

* restricted mandates so they'll be more reasonable

* stopped blank map from being exported when you back out of detailed map export

Happy Valentine's Day, my fellow dwarves!

EDIT: also, "demons masquerading as gods will try a little harder" and "designations over z-levels" are my two favorite parts of the new update

Sigh this game was my life for a month when I worked at Tahosa High Adventure Base. cooking and cleaning for 400+ boy-scouts every day left me too tired to do anything else and this was all the computer they had could handle. This game kept me mostly sane (especially after my crazy pills ran out).

What your not crazy too?

I really wish I knew how to play this game, I love hearing the cool stories people have accomplished through this game.

American Professional Skateboarder

I really wish I knew how to play this game, I love hearing the cool stories people have accomplished through this game.

Yeah, I couldn't get the game to do a damn thing... Controls are almost as convoluted, and hard to learn as X³!

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Yeah, I couldn't get the game to do a damn thing... Controls are almost as convoluted, and hard to learn as X³!

Not exactly! It's more muscle memory than anything, and plenty of prioritization.

Also, new Dorf Fort: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

Woop woop

really enjoying making taverns and libraries!

It's been a few years since my original offer, but I'd be ready to set up a community fort if you guys want to try it out

Don't need to know everything to give it a go!

I've had some compatibility issues with LNP, so if you're using that we might need to work some things out

I am doing it. I'm starting, I will play a year and leave it for someone else to pick up. Here begins the saga of FriendlyBolts:

World Map and Embark Location:

vbACOKx.png

The Start:

jnYHnTs.png

The Adventure Begins:

q5bszPQ.png

Civlizations:

http://webm.host/8c3d9/vid.webm

Prologue

In the year 130, a Dwarven civilization sits on the precipice of disaster. The Untamed Knife, a proud standard cut from the cloth of legends, was faltering under Goblin pressure from the east and Kobold pressure from the south. The steel gears of the goblin war machine turned endlessly under the gaze of their goblin overlord, Nako Profanepages from atop his obsidian throne in the Palace of Groves. A dwarf and six companions break forth into the open wilderness seeking a new life - Reg Autumnalroom leading the exodus.

rFrRRhY.png

"Fine."

Reg was disgruntled. Several slights against her dwarven nature had been levied by the administration of The Untamed Knife. Most importantly, due to the war effort, rationing had been put in place. Rationing of not only food, but also of the sweet dwarven nectar: ale. As the details of global politics and logistics often flew over Reg's head, she saw no reason why the war would result in a shortage of ale. In fact, due to heavy casualties there should have been an excess of ale across the mountainhome! This dearth of ale was not a life Reg was prepared to suffer. She was disgruntled, so she left. She pitched to her fellow dwarves a promised land where they would construct a monument to free-flowing ale. A tavern that would dedicate itself to the finer things in life: drinking, merriment and the viewing of athletic competitions. Certainly a hope to get behind! And a few did. Six other brave dwarves who were equally disgruntled embarked in the common interest of erecting an establishment where ale was cheap and plentiful, the doors stayed open until the sun began to rise again and hardy dwarves could forget their troubles and watch athletes compete for glory!

Spirits were high and a location was scouted out on a small hill along the road to the east of the capital. They dropped down their wagon and set upon a toil that is familiar to dwarves: doing whatever they can for the promise of good booze.

===============================================

Hope this little teaser gives you an idea of what we're getting into! Hopefully you guys enjoy the tale of Reg opening a sports bar in a war torn fantasy land.

Some things you might notice: the world map has an abnormal amount of volcanoes because it's a map with a few custom parameters set, namely the number of titans, megabeasts and civilizations being upped significantly and the threshold for being attacked by them lowered. It's more of a change aimed at making the legends more interesting, but it might prove to be a Fun thing for us as well.

Just FYI, anyone who picks up the fortress after me does not have to follow any narrative I set up. They don't even need to write it in terms of a narrative, it could be journal entries, a quick report, a comic. Whatever you feel comfortable doing. I'll try to set it up so that the fortress is pretty self sufficient so you don't even need to know a whole lot about the game to play a turn. Anyone is welcome!