Last Game You Played

Final Fantasy 15

A few more sidequests, and I'll be ready to move on with the plot. Even though I'm overleveled for the plot.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I suspect what you actually need is DSfix. As the name implies it fixes all the issues the PC port originally had. Just place all the files in the same folder wherever your DARKSOULS.exe is and you're good to go. If you bought it on Steam the DARKSOULS.exe would be at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA . Though If you're unsure right clicking on your DS1 shortcut > open file location will take you straight to wherever your DARKSOULS.exe is.

Oh, so that's what the problem is? I see then and I'm an idiot for uninstalling the game already

I'll try that out, thanks

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

I also have some tips to offer you which should help you get a good start.

. If you aren't set on a class yet I would suggest going with the Warrior Class as it's very well rounded and makes for a good start.

. Be patient, take on your foes one by one if at all possible and you'll do fine in DS1. A lot of times people get impatient and try to outrun a lot of enemies because they kept getting killed by a boss or whatever.

. Don't horde Estus Flasks as they refill at bonfires. But I would say only use them when you have less than half of your health remaining. Otherwise it's somewhat of a waste.

. Even if you don't like ranged combat get yourself a bow. There's plenty of enemies in DS1 that are simply out of reach and will give you headaches if you don't have some way of dealing with them.

. Figure out which weapons you like to use first and then find/make a build which complements those weapons. There's no respecing in DS1 so you'll want to make sure you do it right the first time.

. You'll also want to find weapons which scale well with your build's stats. IMO even though this is an important aspect of weapons and should be considered heavily it should also be a second priority to movesets of weapons you like. Initially when I got the Great Scythe I was so excited when I got it I bump it all the way to +15 without even trying it first. Once I did try it I realized I hated the moveset and I was stuck with it for the rest of the game. The best weapon in the game when it came to Dex scaling but I preferred the excellent moveset, speed and range of the Baldur Side Sword even though it was less effective in terms of damage.

Scaling goes from grades None-S(worst to best) with each individual stat. Like for instance the Baldur Side Sword(My favorite weapon in DS1 BTW.) I would suggest looking through this DS1 weapon list for for scaling references http://darksouls.wikidot.com/weapons . Also don't reinforce any weapon unless you're absolutely sure you like the moveset the weapon has.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

. If you aren't set on a class yet I would suggest going with the Warrior Class as it's very well rounded and makes for a good start.

I already decided to go with a Wanderer, because I like playing with dexterity-based characters

. Even if you don't like ranged combat get yourself a bow. There's plenty of enemies in DS1 that are simply out of reach and will give you headaches if you don't have something to deal with them.

Welp, I was actually planning to get a bow either way, so...

They work well with dexterity builds, right?

A.K.A. UberCatSR

--------

Yep, Dexterity works well with bows especially short bows. The Wanderer is an excellent class for Dexterity. I just suggested Warrior since I didn't I know what you were going with. If this helps I was following this guide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=353066256 for my Dex build.

Also whenever you find an NPC or especially a merchant I would suggest unequipping your current weapon or switching to an empty weapon slot if you plan on talking to them. It's very easy to accidentally to attack friendly NPCs in Dark Souls and you'll aggro them instantly if you attack them with a weapon. If that happens you'll have to kill them and lose whatever service they were offering along with them. Whereas if you unequip or switch to an empty weapon slot you'll be stripped down to bare fists which take a few hits to aggro them as opposed to instantaneously with a weapon. It's much safer that way.

Yep, Dexterity works with bows especially short bows. The Wanderer is an excellent class for Dexterity. I just suggested Warrior since I didn't I know what you were going with. If this helps I was following this guide https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=353066256 for my Dex build.

Well, now I know what to choose from weapons. Kinda XD

Thanks for the tips, and for the patch too

A.K.A. UberCatSR

--------

Well, now I know what to choose from weapons. Kinda XD

Thanks for the tips, and for the patch too

No problem, all the tips I offered were bare essentials. So the rest of the game will still remain a mystery for you. :)

I'm starting to think there should be a Darksouls/Bloodborne thread here.

OT: Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone.

Don't forget Demon's Souls! :)

OT:Dark Souls 1.

Reached Ash Lake and maaan it's beautiful~

"FUCK YOU REALITY!!YOU'RE FULL OF SHIT!!!"

"Hark! Dost thou hear with thine ears what I hear with mine? Interloper! No quarter shall be shown hither, fiend! Anon! Show thyself, churl!"

http://myanimelist.net/profile/MantisDude

If there's enough interest I might start one. Honestly I don't know how far it would go though and I don't know what else we would talk about outside of tips and builds.

@Tron: Bit of a warning about bows. While they are complimentary to many builds they are regarded as one of the worst weapons to make your primary weapon as the damage you deal with them isn't worth how vulnerable you're left when using them. Still good for ranged pulling and whittling down that one enemy you don't want to get close to.

OT: Titanfall 2. Gonna try the game on hard now.

Retired Forum Moderator

Bows technically are only necessary for one part of the game, the spot near the end of sen's fortress where the female manserpent is waiting to knock you off that narrow path. They have their use in picking off enemies you don't want to get near, but you get to a point where you're good enough to get near them anyway. I have one solid piece of advice though: Always practice your parrying. It makes everything much easier for you. And in more serious fights where the risk of dying is higher, PvP especially, don't go for parries if you're not confident enough to land them.

the name's riley

Tried playing Dark Souls again, this time with DSfix

Unlocking FPS kinda did the trick, but it still lags quite a bit

A.K.A. UberCatSR

--------

Another thing you should try is playing in 1280x720, it doesn't really have much of an impact on how your game looks since DS1 has mediocre graphics to begin with, but the FPS boost is noticeable.

the name's riley

Resident Evil 4, going through the castle area of the game, it's seriously awesome and making up for the rather underwhelming Dead Space in terms of survival horror.

Terraria

Godly Scourge of the Corruptor. That is all

And no, I do not consider Vampire Knives better, not even with their healing ability

A.K.A. UberCatSR

--------

Well, a half hour before my computer died on me I was playing Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets.

Going from tank controls to being able to strafe threw me off at first.

Terraria

Godly Scourge of the Corruptor. That is all

And no, I do not consider Vampire Knives better, not even with their healing ability

Vampire Knives got nerfed after life steal got capped at I think 30 per second and there's now so much better weapons anyways. Before when frost moon was the hardest endgame event and life steal was based more on as much damage you could do and how fast you could do it those were amazing weapons.

OT: Terraria as well. Gun playthrough is hard to start since nothing really benefits them til about hardmode except for necro armor.

Retired Forum Moderator