Last Game You Played

Hokay, so Final Fantasy 10 has some annoyingly difficult sidequests to get the party member's Sigils, to power up their Ultima Weapons. One of the more well known, and hated of them is Catcher Chocobo. Basically, you and the AI are racing. The race is short, your goal is to beat it in under 45 seconds. Simple enough really. However, to make things interesting, birds are flying at you and the AI Trainer (don't ask, just accept your fate). A lot of people think the birds are random. This is half true. There's some patterns involved, and they alternate for homing after you and the Trainer. There's also balloons for the two of you to collect. Again, a lot of people think the balloon placement is random, and again, this is half true. There are set patterns. Now, the real important part: You want to collect as many balloons as possible (depending on the setup, and your skill, the first 5-6 are essentially a freebee).  Every balloon you collect will lower your final time by 3, and every bird hit, will add 3 seconds to your final time (plus you're stunned for about 2 seconds). So, for example, let's say your final time is 40 seconds, you hit 5 birds, and collected 10 balloons, your new time will be 25 seconds. Congrats, you have enough to get Tidus's Ultima Weapon. Now, to get his sigil, your final time needs to be below 0h:00m:0s

Most people who are crazy enough to go for this sidequest, will wait for post game. This playthrough, I decided to get it ASAP, and I did. Not only that, but the run where I finally did, I had a shit start (missed all the freebee balloons) but I made it up by getting 12 balloons and dodging every bird.

BoiQ1YQ.gif

Spoiler

I still have to beat Lady Yunalesca before I can fully upgrade the Caladbolg

Edited by Psychotic Ninja (see edit history)

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

It's funny you bring this up as someone I'm friends with has been play FFX again and just got the Sun Sigil, and that was like 5 hours ago. I should beat that game someday. Got all the way to the end and put it down and I couldn't tell you why.

Spoiler

image.png.4f120729ac40e03d076d33ca1fdb3fcc.png

Last game was Path of Exile. Blight League just dropped. I have to play Blight League. It's in my name.

Retired Forum Moderator

WoW Classic

After taking a break and getting some social interaction and taking care of myself, I'm back on the grind to 60.

the name's riley

10 hours ago, RaTcHeT302 said:

I only played We Love Katamari and I wish there was an Easy Mode for the controls.

Where you just, use the right stick to look around, and the left stick could just move you in a direction. I'm just not a fan of the clumsy control scheme, I kinda got tired of playing the game, as it was getting really tedious for me.

I understand that it's a design choice, but.. I still hate it.

Well you're in luck cause Reroll gives you the option to use the normal control scheme or "simple" control scheme, which is exactly what you want. However you have to get through the tutorial first before you can change the controls.

Not sure, I tried the simplified controls, and honestly, I couldn't get used to them. Too used to the default controls, y'know?

I got so fed up with Icewind Dale - maybe I rolled a bad party, we couldn't deal with the Orc Shaman or even the Yetis as easily as I remember from childhood - that I went and brought and started The Temple of Elemental Evil instead. That party-maker felt more natural and I have high hopes. Two fighters - one Human, one Dwarven; a Halfling Rogue, a Elf? Cleric, and a Elf Evocation Wizard.

Edited by Eshanas (see edit history)

Deus Ex Human Revolution

On my overclocked 5700 XT it has yet to drop below 130 FPS at maximum settings at 1080p. Much nicer than when I played it previously, where it topped out around 40 FPS at minimum settings and 900p.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Been playing Soul Calibur 6 off and on.  It makes me miss Soul Caliburs 4 and 5 because they just plain had more content, but it's a really solid game with a super cool create-a-character that I adore.  Create-a-character tools are a super fast way to get me to love a game.

With my wife we've been playing through the Layers of Fear games.  The first one was pretty virtuosic considering it involves little more than walking through a spooky house and manipulating things like swinging doors.  Something about the atmosphere and simplistic yet intense story mixed with the world slowly turning into a madman's painting just really absorbed us.  The second game attempts to add more involved gameplay with chase segments where you can be caught and die, but given that the gameplay is set up more for slow and moody exploration these segments are just annoying and take me out of the experience more than anything.  Additionally, the environment just isn't as interesting or colorful as the first game most of the time.  We're in the final act of Layers of Fear 2 and are enjoying it overall but it's hard not to compare it to what the first game did so much better.

Xcom 2 War of the Chosen.

Max settings at 4K downscaled to 1080p (Virtual Super Resolution on an RX 5700 XT) and MLAA on top comes out to a really nice and smooth image, with no artifacting whatsoever.

Minecraft.

Tried a few Windows 10 settings changes meant to make it more stable and have slightly better performance... It worked. "Disable fullscreen optimizations" works well to increase stability by a LOT.

I got Queen's Wish: The Conqueror. Wow the quality of Jeff Vogel's games have dropped dramatically. Though I didn't know it was his at first, which made it tolerable for a while.

Queens%20Wish%20The%20Conqueror.jpg

He's been doing this for a quarter of a century and got 98k on Kickstarter but everything is a step backwards. There's no music; there's little looting, and the writing is basic. The character customization is horrid and barebones.

You're a spoilt prince who has never dirtied himself or lifted a finger for himself and your mother, the Queen, sends you off to retake a big island your Kingdom/Empire was ousted from. Take back the island, find out why Haven was ousted in the first place, return home to be judged. Build and upgrade forts; deal with uppity vassals (all of whom are in a civil war it seems) and all of that jazz.

30f2c5d286835bd20ec54e6685c78edb_origina

You're fighting for this. A swampland, a desert, and a dead magical forest around a plain. It's about the size of Puerto Rico, or half of it?

It's...enjoyable. But it's a step backwards. If it was 2000 it would be fine. But 2020? What's going on here.... Will DLC expand on it? They reached a tier in the kickstarter for an 'alien' realm....

I'll finish it, it's not terrible, but it feels like it was made 20 years ago. I got a slew of other RPGs I've found lately from RPGCodex like Knights of the Chalice that might be a better fix....

Edited by Eshanas (see edit history)

Just played through 10 levels of Dead Space... So far only one jumpscare that startled me, and even then it was mild, and mostly brought on by my hitting of the mouse sensitivity button and not being able to turn properly at the same time. (thought my PC was about to crash) I've predicted about 95% of the enemy spawn points so far.

Mount and Blade Warband! I played it a lot in high school but never really had the patience to really dig into the more complex mechanics. So far its been great to tear through the lands as a vassal to the Nord empire.

Stellaris

Trying to finish the game. but so far every time I finish all the research and rule the entire galaxy more than 800 years before the victory year.