Last Game You Played

Necrolepsy

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

Star Trek Online... Just solved that "except for space weapons" problem. (one of the 10th Anniversary ships comes with 6 purple quality phasers)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom

"I don't trust a man that doesn't have something strange going on about him, cause that means he's hiding it from you. If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive." -No-bark Noonan

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night

The Division 2

I just finished all side missions on my primary character.

The Division 2

The new "season" stuff is actually kinda fun...

Doom 2016 for the first time

Really good, the only thing i didn't like was that it was too short, I thought that after Argent D'Nur there would be a couple more levels but alas.

Now let's see how Eternal compares to it

Halo Master Chief... But only long enough to get pissed at the mandatory Microsoft account to even do singleplayer.

Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

An hour in, so far it surpasses the original, which is really high praise from me.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I just started playing "chronomaster" (a game partly developed by Roger Zelazny before his death) when all of a sudden after the 2nd or 3rd day of playing I notice Ron Perlman is the lead voice actor XD

Edited by kerdios (see edit history)

Burn the World!

On 4/10/2020 at 4:14 AM, Psychotic Ninja said:

Final Fantasy 7 Remake.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Far Cry 5.

First Ubisoft game I played since FC3, moderately disappointed that Uplay is still required.

the name's riley

Far Cry 5

First impressions so far:

Spoiler

Thematically and aesthetically the game is really fucked up, it has this weird saccharine atmosphere of mid-century Christian Americana. It's idyllic and yet still feels extremely off. Obviously the reason why isn't a subtle one, the game's villain group is a far-right Christian terrorist cult that reveres the big bad as a prophet. They're kidnappers, murderers, thieves, and they persecute those who refuse to join their cult, and unfortunately, leaving the county is an effort in futility as the cult has control of the roads, local police, and telecommunications. In spite of all of this there's still this facade of Christian Americana that, when compared against the group's actions and intentions, makes for a really eerie atmosphere. These themes can feel uniquely political if you're familiar with the far right, especially those of the far right that exalt Christian faith. It's easy to see why there was a lot of negative press from the actual far right before the game launched. I think it's worth mentioning though that FC5 specifically wrote its villains as the leaders of a death cult and the people who help you out are often cut from the same cloth; Christians, family men, farmers, and even conspiracy nuts with bunkers and arsenals.

All of that said, I live for games with a narrative and atmosphere as well constructed as FC5's, and it's something completely unique that I don't think I've ever seen before.

Spoiler

I'd honestly like to see more done with this kind of creepy, saccharine, religious aesthetic. It hits especially close to home coming from Texas, it's familiar and nostalgic and yet completely untrustworthy. It's also pretty unique, in that I haven't really ever seen it used as the thematic foundation of a game, maybe a TV show or movie that I'm forgetting about but that's it. Closest thing that comes to mind is the Honest Hearts DLC of Fallout New Vegas, though while HH adopts a similarly religious narrative, its environment isn't really reflective in similar terms.

As far as graphics go, this is probably one of the most beautiful games I've played AND it's actually quite well optimized so it runs nicely on cheap hardware, even on ultra settings. There is the odd prop that has PS1 tier LOD because you're not REALLY expected to look at it that much, but they're not super common and I can deal low poly apple boxes when the rest of the game looks like this

Spoiler

yUxxGeZ.jpg

J2fn6Sq.png

i76yg1i.jpg

The LOD is (usually) very smooth and easy on the eyes, textures are high res and show off lots of fine details, and the lighting really does a great job of bringing it all together. There are some visual effects I think the game could do without (i.e. your eyes adjusting to the light level when you exit a building) as they don't really contribute much to the immersion of playing and are more annoying than anything else, but that's actually a relatively minor complaint.

Finally, the gunplay is great. There's kind of a lack of feedback which feels a lot worse when you're trying to hit targets at longer ranges. Bullet drop was introduced in FC5 so it is nice to know when your shots are hitting their target. That said, all the weapons still feel really impactful and fun to use, and the run-and-gun outpost liberation missions that put you in close to medium quarters combat for a few minutes at a time are really where the gunplay shines. Those moments where you do a 180 and land a revolver shot square in the eye of a baddie who was just behind you wouldn't feel quite as satisfying if you had a hitmarker and a hitsound added to the mix. The visual and sound of the bullet impact does plenty to make those kills feel great.

Overall, I think everything is great so far and I'm looking forward to playing more of it.

the name's riley