Last Game You Played

-Snip-

The difference between DS1 and DS2 is that the first one actually awards the attentive for looking out. All the traps you mentioned can be seen and observed before you have to deal with it, and there isn't an ambush in the game that can't be foiled by a simple peak around a corner before walking. It's a game of patience and persistence. DS2 however, was not designed by the creator of the first and lost a lot in the translation. It WILL throw shit at you that you had no way of discovering without previous knowledge or a note from another player. The enemies aren't designed with a set weakness or counter(or at least effective counter). And to top it all off they completely fucked the controls as the movement snaps to the 4 main 90 degree angles if you move the sticks to within like 10 degrees either side of them and input feels slower and more delayed. In a fit of absolute frustration I rage quit the game and made a comment to kitty about how if I kept every anvil that game dropped on my head I'd have a very impressive collection of anvils because it does that almost every other room.

And now you guys know where I got my old signature from

But honestly, I think the fact that Rarity told me not to pick up the game when it was on sale for $10 speaks volumes about it.

This game is so full of questionable design choices it's fucking insane.

Enemies that can chunk half your health in attacks that only last a few frames, a boss that is way too difficult to kill for how formulaic it is, a gank squad that serves no other purpose than to annoy you and gives you jack shit for killing them, enemies that still take advantage of the old poise system because fuck you, and the cherry on top

a disappointingly easy boss whose entire backstory is that he's such a greedy fatass that he literally ate Gwyndolin, my favorite character from the first game

The only redeeming factor of Irithyll is the throwback to Dark Souls 1

I know I say this every time but we really did have very different experiences with that game. Maybe it's all the time I spent in Bloodborne, a significantly faster paced game, as well as it being my introduction to the series but I just don't have trouble with fast, hard hitting attacks. I'm more dodge oriented anyways. Hell, my favorite boss is one that a bunch of people hate because of how much trouble they have with him and this was my first try:

63Xxl1yEVCk

Honestly I found the best way to learn bosses in DS3 is to put down your sign and help others with it. Success or not, it's a low-risk way to learn and even helps others in the process.

It's not exactly that I don't know how to beat the pontiff, he just kicks my ass without fail every time because of his stupid doppelganger.

I love his moveset because the delays in his combo catch you out of rolls so you get punished for panic rolling, so I always have to play carefully around that. But it stops being a panic roll when he introduces his doppelganger, because I actually have another thing I need to roll away from. I wouldn't mind if the doppelganger stopped hiding like a bitch behind the pontiff or simply didn't exist.

Also, if I can't have DS1 poise, I see no reason why silver knights should. Nothing short of a UGS staggers them.

I don't have DS3, I'm not really sure what you mean by a true sequel. DS2 looks like DS1 so I'll give it a chance based on that and go from there. If I don't like it I'll just come back to DS1.

I also don't PVP as PVP in Dark Souls in general sounds incredibly finicky. Hit detection that depends on my internet connection rather than when I actually hit ingame? No thanks.

But I've had my fill of DS1's level and monster design. I want something somewhat different and if DS2 provides that with somewhat different mechanics then that's what I'm looking for.

As much as I love DS1 it has it's fair share of dodgy mechanics and too. Like how the statuses were handled in DS1. If you're poisoned you are dead unless you have some means of curing yourself. Being cursed was even worse with your health being cut in half even after you die unless you shell out 8000 souls for the cure.

The fight with Havel is so cheap at so early in the game. You can't screw up once during that fight or he'll one shot you. He should be considered a boss for how deadly he is instead of Pinwheel who goes down in as little as 5 shots. I'm not even sure how Pinwheel's a boss.

And there's also incredibly bullshitty aspects of the level design like the boulder machine in Sen's fortress, the closely-knitted segments of swing axes in Sen's Fortress or the two archers in Anor Londo.

My point is I've had my fair share of bullshit from DS1. If DS2's gonna throw more my way then I'm game. I got through DS1's bullshit so why couldn't I be able to get through DS2's?

I honestly never had a problem with DS1's mechanics. I thought most things were handled perfectly, save for the occasional "oh god I have to do this again" area (e.g. tomb of the giants and silver knight archers in Anor Londo).

The traps are fair and can easily be avoided with patience and a keen eye, Havel is quite easy to parry so it seems natural he'd punish you quite hard for missing, and statuses I think are completely fine. Moss being cheap and easy to find, you should always carry some on you to begin with. You also get a couple of free purging stones per playthrough as well as a rare ring of sacrifice from Snuggly, so I've never found curse to be an issue either. Just avoid being cursed and stack curse resistance when needed.

The issue with Dark Souls 2 is, like Rarity said, it drops anvils on your head. Quite literally. There is a dragon skeleton that will fall on your head and kill you instantly and your only way of knowing is if someone told you beforehand.

the name's riley

I still don't see how having more bullshit is a problem. Considering the precedent DS1 set I would be surprised if DS2 didn't have more and I really don't mind if there is.

@Username that sounds similar to how the Redkite dragon introduces himself at the very start of the Undead Burg. Before I knew about him I stood right where he swoops in and one shot me. This was somewhat my fault however as at the time I didn't know I should be chugging Estus whenever needed, half my health was already gone and I had been hording Estus since I didn't know they refilled at bonfires. So at least half of that was my fault but there was no indication of a Red Dragon anywhere I could see either. The same could also be said for the Asylum Demon as well. Though that room at least had some indication something wasn't quite right. But I also wasn't aware of the open gate on the left side of the room either. These are very minor gripes I had at the start of the game, I died, I got up and I tried again. I don't see how this would be any different in DS2.

I'm not saying you guys are wrong but I'm really not convinced either. This sounds like something I'll have to experience first hand to really get what you guys are talking about. I haven't played nor seen anything of DS2 so more bullshit doesn't sound that bad to me. I'm basing this solely on the precedent DS1 has setting and a quite a bit more.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Fair enough, if you have Dark Souls 2 but don't have 3 I see no reason to stop you

Though if you did have DS3 I'd strongly recommend playing it first since it makes more sense as a sequel

Speaking of DS3, just got done playing that. I'm almost done building my mage and it shows.

CSfP19pY_cI

Kamehameha motherfuckers

the name's riley

Doom II - finally got it working on my laptop!

Congrats

If you can run it without slowdowns or lags - you are officially awesome

A.K.A. UberCatSR

Favorite game: Quake 1.

--------

I know I say this every time but we really did have very different experiences with that game. Maybe it's all the time I spent in Bloodborne, a significantly faster paced game, as well as it being my introduction to the series but I just don't have trouble with fast, hard hitting attacks. I'm more dodge oriented anyways. Hell, my favorite boss is one that a bunch of people hate because of how much trouble they have with him and this was my first try:

63Xxl1yEVCk

Honestly I found the best way to learn bosses in DS3 is to put down your sign and help others with it. Success or not, it's a low-risk way to learn and even helps others in the process.

It's not exactly that I don't know how to beat the pontiff, he just kicks my ass without fail every time because of his stupid doppelganger.

I love his moveset because the delays in his combo catch you out of rolls so you get punished for panic rolling, so I always have to play carefully around that. But it stops being a panic roll when he introduces his doppelganger, because I actually have another thing I need to roll away from. I wouldn't mind if the doppelganger stopped hiding like a bitch behind the pontiff or simply didn't exist.

Also, if I can't have DS1 poise, I see no reason why silver knights should. Nothing short of a UGS staggers them.

I actually found the old DS1 method of "circle them with your shield up til they get dizzy and stop tracking you then stab em in the booty hole" still works on the silver knights so I usually just do that. Or maybe attempt the parry if they aren't using spears. I can't for the life of me figure out the parry window on spears.

As for Pontif most if not all of his attacks with the doppelganger up can be avoided with a simple 2 dodge chain, you just need to get the direction right. Often times the best dodge is either directly towards the boss(especially for leap attacks. goes for most bosses that leap in the air and then zero in on your position.) or in the direction the attack comes from because you spend less invincibility frames connected with the attack.

@Helio: if you have the game by all means give it a shot. I just wanted to relay my opinion and give why I feel DS3 would be the better choice if you had to choose(and I do recommend that as a future purchase.). I just personally did not have fun with it. Every encounter felt like a chore instead of a challenge and overcoming them didn't feel rewarding, just relieving. My draw to the series was how every enemy had to be taken seriously and you felt good for winning and I just never got that from DS2. It's to this day one of only 2 games I've ever rage quit and not gone back to, the other being, ironically, Rage.(I never want to do another horribly shrieking mutant killing mission ever again, which that game consists way too much of. Seriously that audio file was finger nails on a chalk board and you had to endure that shit for HOURS.)

Retired Forum Moderator

Final Fantasy 15

Got to chapter 3, can manually drive now (yay). The world is more open now (yay). I'm seeing more and more connections to various Final Fantasy's.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Just realized I forgot the OT part of my post. Nice, me...

OT: Overwatch competitive. I'm apparently kicking ass as D.va this season.

Retired Forum Moderator

Final Fantasy 15 (currently playing as I'm typing this)

Just got my first glimpse of the Behemoth, and I should have worn my brown pants...

Dark Souls 1:

Almost finished, I need to kill The Four Kings and then it's straight onto Gwyn. I don't think I'm gonna link the fire since it only prolongs the inevitable dark age. Might as well become a Dark lord then and put Lordran out of it's misery.

GTA 5 Online

Did a Heist setup mission, my team had to silently assassinate a guy, and his body guards. First attempt, my partner somehow alerted the guy, so he was on the run. I got in my car and "accidentally" ran him over. Our part was over, and we were waiting on the other team. (On a side note, I really like how the heists are broken up into two teams, and one team is doing one thing while the other is doing something else at the same time and at different locations.) Someone died on the other team, so we had to do the mission again. (The whole Team Lives thing really does suck, and adds an arbitrary difficulty to Online)

Second attempt went a lot more smoothly. This time, me and my partner were taking down the guards. It got to the point where most of the guards were dead, and there was a clear path to our main target. I went up to him, pulled out my gun and shot him, in the head, point blank range. it looked, and felt, really bad ass. I'm sure my character would have said a cool, witty one liner like "You need better protection". But you know, cooler, and wittier.

Online needs more stealth missions/heists, I would really excel at those.

Titanfall 2. This entry goes for both "Games recently got" and "games recently completed" as well.

I'm honestly a bit stunned by this game. They that not only listened to the biggest complaints about the first game and fixed every single one of them, but did so as well as include one of the coolest singleplayer experiences I've had since Half Life 2. My only true complaint is that the campaign follows typical Triple-A format of 5-6 hours. I could even see they had plenty of room for more campaign if they wanted so it wasn't for lack of ideas. The downside to being tied to publisher demands. Even then the time it did have was spent crammed full of cool levels and the most creative platforming built around it's wall running and double jumping I've seen in a very long time.

Retired Forum Moderator

Dark Souls 2:

How my character is supposed to look like.

yKQttHK.jpg

What my character actually looks like.

XEQZrZz.png

And half an hours effort for a face I won't see for most of the game. :P

And half an hours effort for a face I won't see for most of the game. :P

Close enough XD

Also kudos for Gelu

A.K.A. UberCatSR

--------

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (or Philosopher's Stone) for PC

A blast from the past, and for the most part, still holds up. Could also be because I'm wearing my nostalgia goggles.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (or Philosopher's Stone) for PC

A blast from the past, and for the most part, still holds up. Could also be because I'm wearing my nostalgia goggles.

I remember having that on the PS2 back when I was a kid. While it was so long I remember absolutely despising that game. There were sequences within that game that were so finicky I ragequited on them multiple times. I don't remember which sequence it was but it was controller snappingly frustrating. I almost tore out one my controller's analogs sticks because of that sequence.

OT: Dark Souls 2.

PC version of the first three Harry Potter games are different, and unlike the PC version of Spider-Man 2, I welcome the changes/different game.

OT: Final Fantasy 15

Tried to play Dark Souls

Nope. Gonna have to wait for a better computer before I can properly play it

A.K.A. UberCatSR

--------

Tried to play Dark Souls

Nope. Gonna have to wait for a better computer before I can properly play it

Are you sure it's your PC? DS1's minimum system requirement's are very low end and old. If your PC is more recent than the minimum system requirements then you should have no problem running it.

Processor: 2.6 GHz Dual-Core.

Memory: 1 GB (XP), 2GB (Vista/7)

Hard Disk Space: 4 GB.

Video Card: 512 MB RAM, ATI Radeon 4850 or higher, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher.

DirectX®: 9.0c.

Sound: Direct Sound Compatible.

If that's the case then DS1 running poorly on your PC has nothing to do with your PC's specs and upgrading your PC will not help. DS1's PC port has the reputation of being one of the worst PC ports ever made. That is not a exaggeration, it's virtually unplayable by default with the framerate constantly dipping below 30 FPS. For comparison I have an AMD FX-8320 CPU with an R9 280 GPU and 16 GBs of RAM. DS1 FPS were around 10-15 FPS on my PC which can run Witcher 3 at almost constant 60 FPS no problem.

I suspect what you actually need is DSfix. As the name implies it fixes all the issues the PC port originally had. Just place all the files in the same folder wherever your DARKSOULS.exe is and you're good to go. If you bought it on Steam the DARKSOULS.exe would be at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition\DATA . Though If you're unsure right clicking on your DS1 shortcut > open file location will take you straight to wherever your DARKSOULS.exe is.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)