Last Game You Played

3 hours ago, Binky The Rabbit said:

Ratchet And Clank: The Quest For Booty.

Okay, I know R&C loves their innuendo titles, but that really can't be a rea- Guy whispers in my ear Oh, errors have been made.

Also:

4 hours ago, Psychotic Ninja said:

Okami

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

The Division 2

Just crafted my first unique weapon. Most powerful marksman rifle in the game. Is nice. 2-hit kills on named bosses, 1-hit kills on everything else.

Edited by BTGBullseye (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Day of Defeat: Source

Although it's pretty small, there's still a community to this game. I have to say I'm not a fan that the servers that are populated tend to have the "Medic" command and one I joined recently let you pick your weapons upon spawn. I was trying to slam some MG nests with the bazooka but accidentally pressed a different weapon and I just couldn't figure out how to get back to using the bazooka.

Aside from stuff like that, DoD:S is pretty fun. There's some jank to it - especially aiming down sights with the M1 Garand/whatever the German rifle is and going prone feels really clunky. I think the thing that annoys me the most about it from an actual regular gameplay perspective is it's like Counter-Strike in that you have to aim in a way that you let the recoil/weapon spread do everything for you, so you basically aim at someone's feet to hit them in the chest/head. Now that's a bit of an exaggeration but I definitely find aiming below/off to the side is a great way to actually hit people instead of aiming directly at them with any of the automatic weapons which are the ones I use the most.

According to my friend, the balance wasn't changed all too much. He played the game for a while and he said Valve left the game with great balance. That's something I can't quite say for a game like Team Fortress 2, sadly.

Edited by Mode 7 (see edit history)

I was a North American Fall Webworm in my past life. Those were the good old days... What were you in your former life?

I'm playing The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and I must say it really has my glued to the monitor for much longer that I planned. I don't remember when was the last time this happened, but there's always "one more thing" I want to do before turning it of and before I know it it's been 2 hours.

Risk of Rain 2

Nothing but love for this game so far. Absolutely does the name proud. Despite moving from 2d to 3d it still holds everything that made the first one so good.

Retired Forum Moderator

Minecraft with the PTGI (raytracing) shaders... On an entirely AMD system...

Quite good for visuals, and the first few hours were without anything noticeably wrong, partly because I was really tired. After a little extra time I figured out the lanterns do not raytrace if they are attached to iron bars, and bonfires cause the blocks on which they reside to become the light emitters as well. (basically the same problem for all light sources) Also, it doesn't reflect the sun/moon for me for some reason.

Overall, highly recommended to wait for a release version, then everyone with at least an RX 580 should use this pretty exclusively.

WoW classic.

Burnout is starting to hit me extremely hard, honestly.

the name's riley

Minecraft with PTGI shaders.

Looks like the "lantern on an iron bar" issue is known, and relates to having to code for each block individually. Works just fine on fences though.

3 hours ago, Annie said:

WoW classic.

Burnout is starting to hit me extremely hard, honestly.

Jay literally rage quit and my friend is considering stopping already.

Sea of Thieves. Rather productive session tonight.

Retired Forum Moderator

Sea of Thieves

Last night highlighted why I don't trust other crews in Sea's, because no one should ever trust us. We set up so many ambushes and tricked so many people and we had the time of our lives. A lot of them involved explosive powder kegs and a particular chest that's immensely valuable and marks it's location on the global map at all times. Or sometimes just guns and a friendly face.

Retired Forum Moderator

It's online only. The draw to it has always been teaming up to share the profits or attacking them to take it all for yourself. it's a pretty big world map with only I think 5-6 ships active on it at one time so it's not BUSTLING but you are very likely to encounter players on long voyages.

My style for avoiding pvp on the rare occasion I sail alone is to never make it look like I'm heading to an outpost when other ships are on the horizon. If you can see them, they can see you, and heading to an outpost makes people think you've got something to cash in, this can lead to long wait times when it comes to selling but it's safest when you've got something valuable. I also avoid pvp hotspots like Reaper's Chests and active skull forts(the reward for a skull fort is a hefty load of treasure and tends to attract those who are ready and willing to fight tooth and nail for them from other players.) If you're in a sloop, smallest and most fragile ship, and someone is chasing you down and you don't want to deal with them, sail into the wind. The sloop cannot stand up against much in terms of firepower but it has the tightest turn radius, it's the hardest to hit with cannon fire, and it outruns every other ship against the wind. DO NOT go with the wind or the brig and galleon will catch you.

If you just don't want pvp at ALL, then I'm afraid this is probably not a game you'll enjoy. Because despite your best efforts it will happen eventually.

Retired Forum Moderator

I've been playing Hitman™ 2. I could go on about the superb mechanics and sleek aesthetics, but I'll sum it all up with a quote from the Deus Ex: Invisible War video, "I love games that involve you hiding bodies from the authorities and watching people freak out if they see you"

Also, in the Deus Ex: Human Revolution episode, Ross talks about how Eidos Montréal shouldn't be making Deus Ex and some other studio should. I think Hitman™'s studio, IOI, is the perfect studio to pick up the torch. Hitman™'s mechanics are similar to Deus Ex's from what I've seen so it shouldn't be too hard for them to make a Deus Ex game with good mechanics. All they would need to do is hire good writers because Hitman™'s story sucks

(Also they could do a reboot on the series and call it "Deus Ex™" lol)

(Also also, I noticed that IOI slightly changed the HUD elements in Hitman™ 2 recently, and the latest Game Dungeon episode has me paranoid that they're gonna mess with the graphics in a bad way one of these days)

That's completely understandable. It's very much a game centered around other players and both cooperation and pvp are expected, encouraged and rewarded. They very much went for the idea that you're a pirate and that there's no honor amongst thieves. Aggression is as much a part of the experience as cooperation is.

In fact as much as I love the arena mode I feel like the overall decrease in world pvp because of it has greatly detracted from the overall experience and I appreciate that the devs are actively looking for ways to incentivize world pvp encounters again.

Retired Forum Moderator

Arena is basically teams of 4 on galleon ships and it's a fight for points. Digging up a chest on an island is 100 points, selling that chest is 1000 points, player kills are 5 points, damaging an enemy ship is 25 points. It is all the base mechanics of treasure hunting from the base game but with a smaller play field.

This is my friend who filmed highlights of one of our most fun arena matches. I'm in it but mostly off camera. No need to watch the whole thing, but it is an example.

Also there is plenty of pve content to do even if your ship is like the only one on the server. Treasure hunts for the Gold Hoarders, killing npc skeletons for the Order of Souls, cargo runs for the Merchant Alliance, and Tall Tales which is basically the games campaign. Or you can just wander around and fight skeleton ships(npc controlled) or just go fishing. Even if a lot of the player base dies off there's still plenty to do solo or with a crew of friends.

Sorry if it feels like I'm trying to sell you this game when I'm sort of just gushing. I enjoy it a lot. Not gonna force anyone to play it.

Retired Forum Moderator

Ah. Well there's different crew sizes for different ships. Sloop is maximum of 2 players, brig is max 3 and galleon is max 4. All best operated with max capacity crew but it's entirely possible to 2 man a brig and do just fine

Retired Forum Moderator