The Stalker Series

Sign in to follow this  

This series is amazing. Shadow of Chernobyl becomes a polished diamond when you install Complete 2009 mod.

Unlike a lot of people I actually like Clear Sky. It is brutal in the starting hours and the faction wars are a rather broken mechanic but avoiding the latter altogether (Staying as a loner.) I avoided a lot of frustration and bugs.

I'm considering the other game that developer made, Metro 2033

edit: how the hell was I dumb enough at the time to confuse these two developers? weird, oh and Metro is awesome, go play it, now!

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

So far, I've only played Call of Pripyat (Or Prypiat) But damn, that was a fun game, loved it.

I played Shadow of Chernobyl a bit but couldn't really get in to it. I also own Call of Pripyat on Steam but I've not actually got around to playing it...

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

Bump.

I've recently finished Clear Sky, I have the other two on my Steam account but I'm yet to download them. Maybe it's lucky I played Clear Sky first because I found that game to be utterly mind-blowing on my first playthrough, hopefully I'll enjoy the other two.

The (GSC World?) shutdown (I know there are rumours but I'll wait to hear a confirmation), was truly a tragedy to gaming. Perhaps the worst since Looking Glass closed it's doors, there was no other game like it, and I doubt there'll be one to fill the void. No doubt there'll be a few copy-cats but much like X-com copycats they'll never be as good as the original. I hold out a little hope that 4A Games might get the IP, I know that they're only game (Metro 2033) is a linear game but it captured the sad, lonely atmosphere perfectly. I'm sure they'll wish to start on a different series (whether it be a new IP or Stalker) after Metro: Last Light.

soYdYtRoZuY

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

I've played Shadow and Pripyat. I encountered a few bugs in shadow but the overall experience was overall fun. I didn't like how more so the game became broken with their "patch"(at least the one I found) so I just play un-patched.

I kinda like Pripyat a little more. Encountered very few bugs in that one even. Only problem is that around endgame, I just ran out of idea's of what to do.

Retired Forum Moderator

Bump.

I've recently finished Clear Sky, I have the other two on my Steam account but I'm yet to download them. Maybe it's lucky I played Clear Sky first because I found that game to be utterly mind-blowing on my first playthrough, hopefully I'll enjoy the other two.

The (GSC World?) shutdown (I know there are rumours but I'll wait to hear a confirmation), was truly a tragedy to gaming. Perhaps the worst since Looking Glass closed it's doors, there was no other game like it, and I doubt there'll be one to fill the void. No doubt there'll be a few copy-cats but much like X-com copycats they'll never be as good as the original. I hold out a little hope that 4A Games might get the IP, I know that they're only game (Metro 2033) is a linear game but it captured the sad, lonely atmosphere perfectly. I'm sure they'll wish to start on a different series (whether it be a new IP or Stalker) after Metro: Last Light.

GSC Gameworld didn't actually shut down. It was rumoured, but the developers announced that they would soldier on and that STALKER 2 is still in the works. :D

Link? I've only seen the Twitter stuff.

This was the twitter stuff. :P

https://twitter.com/#!/gscstalker/status/146255840310071296

https://twitter.com/#!/gscstalker/status/150324514121719808

There's been many tweets since from their account indicating signs of life.

First time I've seen that second link, I'm not putting too much faith in a tweet though. I'll wait until there's actual confirmation about it.

First time I've seen that second link, I'm not putting too much faith in a tweet though. I'll wait until there's actual confirmation about it.

Confirmation on their official twitter isn't confirmation?

Confirmation on their official twitter isn't confirmation?

Not really solid, it is just Twitter.

edit - http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/01/12/hooray-stalker-2-development-to-continue-in-spite-of-recent-closure-talk/

I don't get this, how do you go bankrupt, only to be able to get back to Stalker 2 "full steam ahead". Publicity stunt?

Stalker 2 is still coming after all? That's pretty awesome, if true.

The Stalker series is better than the HL series, as far as gameplay and replayability goes. SOC is probably my most played game, of all time. It's just a shame that GSC leaves so many damn bugs.

Clear Sky gets bashed a lot for killing the atmosphere of the first game, and I kind of agree with that. It wasn't creepy or desolate at all. It did have some nice new features though. Artifact hunting was greatly improved, for one.

I haven't got around to Call of Pripyat yet, my ancient computer would probably start shitting blood if I tried.

My Little Pointy: Friendship Is Stabbing - http://i.imgur.com/Qz1bx.jpg

Well Stalker being better than HL is just an opinion, but I got to say the mods for Stalker are incredible especially the overhaul ones. Call of Pripyat mod Misery is amazing.

Get out of here Stalker.

"Fat People Not Good"

Bad News and General Info:

Just to confirm as a Ukrainian and a fan, yes GSC closed, the head of the company went mad, got bribed or whatever else happens, it's too bad because I followed the company since the beggining, people who play Stalker might not know but they also made the Cossacks series the second most sold rts game after Starcraft and a truly great replay value game especially multiplayer if you get into it properly. The company started by modding Warcraft 2 and making it possible to have a shit ton of units in it, the game was called warcraft 2000 but was never finished because of Blizzard not liking GSc for hacking the Warcraft 2 engine (lols). Anyway Stalker 2 at this point is a collection of work made by the former GSC team owned by Sergey Grygorevych who refuses to give anyone the rights to continue it, even his own former team.

Metro is also made by other former workers for GSC just so you know they split in 2007-8 over a dispute in direction of Stalker that's why the atmosphere is so similar.

Good News: GSC Stalker Team didn't just go home and accept the fact that their head of department went crazy/mad/retired and they all got fired etc... Now they formed their own company, Vostok Games. You can check them out at Vostokgames.com they release video diaries of their new project "Survarium". Now that is supposed to capture Stalker's atmosphere and all but also be worldwide in the future by atmosphere not just Chernobyl, of course it won't be Stalker 2 but made by the same people so we can expect something from it, it will be an MMOFPS though, which is an interesting experimental genre. Before you judge the MMO think, these creators made one of the best strategy games, one of the best fps games, and so I'm convinced they will try their best on this new game and not make it the typical MMO but something unique and worthwile to try.

So there it is peeps.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I have yet to play the Stalker games(damn you, Steam Summer sale), but I did play Metro 2033 and REALLY enjoyed that game. Looking forward to Last Light and gonna keep an eye on Vostok. MMOFPS always sounds interesting to me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So: Don't expect a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2 because the main dude pulled an EA move (Firing off production team and keeping the IP but letting it die), but we can expect a Spiritual Successor. (Like "Bioshock" being one of "System Shock", or "Fallout" being one of "Wasteland")