174 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about MLP:FiM

• I like it
    • I dislike it
    • Haven't watched it
    • WTF is this?
    • Neutral

This poll is closed to new votes

I wondering how long it would take before someone would post this topic, and then I got tired of waiting so I made one :P .

I'm wondering how many people know what the hell I'm talking about :lol: but that's why I made this topic. If you've been living in an internet cave I suppose you don't know that Lauren Faust's latest animation has received a disturbingly large following outside of its target demographic.

Most TV shows don't hit an audience 15 years and a whole chromosome away from where they were aiming but somehow a show about ponies did.

If you don't believe me:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/my-little-pony-friendship-is-magic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony_Friendship_is_Magic#Following_on_the_Internet

Check the audience ranking :lol: :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muVfidujxRg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeJ6-gN0eB4

Personally I love the show 8-)

It's not because it's a show about ponies, it just reminds me of the cartoons I used to love. But there's more to it than that. Maybe subliminal messaging :shock: .

If you love it great! If you hate it, I don't care! If you have any idea how this show was this successful than you ahead of me.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

You really can't not respect the staff that created a show that gathered such a massive fanbase so far away from the target audience. Seems to me that a large part of its success can be attributed to honest-to-gosh effort. I'll catch glimpses of what my young relatives watch these days, and a lot of it seems phoned in. Granted, the shows we watched as kids, specifically in my case the late 80's to mid 90's, weren't always the most educational (though a lot of them were), but they were a hell of a lot more fun to watch. As you said, ABG, this show recaptures that feeling rather well. That aside, based on Lauren Faust's reputation and history, it aint' surprising that more of her work is so well-recieved.

The animation is nothing spectacular, the stories are typical of children's shows, morals are solid and characterization is very well done. Mystifying is the word I would use to describe why it has become so popular among not-young-girls.

"Kick-your-self-in-the-arse" is the compound word I would use to describe those who think that the only opinions of it should be "Love it or hate it". It has the same positionation to me as Spongebob Squarepants: a respectable success but outside the realm of my better intrigués.

Additionally, another one of those quirks I have is the consistent logistics-checking my mind does in the background, and the ratio observed of female:male is anomalous to say in the least. However such concerns are obviously alleviated by the fact that I am over-thinking a Children's TV show. Another reason why it comes to no one's surprise to know that my favorite movie is Apollo 13.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

"Kick-your-self-in-the-arse" is the compound word I would use to describe those who think that the only opinions of it should be "Love it or hate it"
:(

Well unfortunately the internet has a way of polarizing thing to the extreme, if you haven't been exposed to the true extent people will go to get their opinions across you're lucky :lol: I'll change it from "hate" and "love" I forgot how civil this forum is

The animation is nothing spectacular, the stories are atypical of children's shows, morals are solid and characterization is very well done. Mystifying is the word I would use to describe why it has become so popular among not-young-girls.

4chan and anonymous have a very strange way of making things way more famous than they may be deserving of, but not usually without a reason.

the stories are atypical of children's shows

Is that a typo? They're not that atypical, are they? (well some of them are)

It has the same positionation to me as Spongebob Squarepants

How dare you?! :evil:

Why are grown men watching a show for little girls. Is there something I missed.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Why are grown men watching a show for little girls. Is there something I missed.

Well first everyone went crazy, and then they made /co/ for the really crazy people to congregate and one thing led to the other and now we have cartoon ponies

Well first everyone went crazy, and then they made /co/ for the really crazy people to congregate and one thing led to the other and now we have cartoon ponies

It's like Hollywood Undead. I'm not a teenage girl so I don't get what is going on.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

I'm not a teenage girl so I don't get what is going on.

[attachment=0]fq1.jpg[/attachment]

Say what you want because...? Oh yeah! Because I don't care 8-)

It's like Hollywood Undead. I'm not a teenage girl so I don't get what is going on.

Read the knowyourmeme entry then, it explains it pretty clearly. All you really need to understand it is the ability to link cause with effect.

I'm not a teenage girl so I don't get what is going on.

[attachment=0]fq1.jpg[/attachment]

Say what you want because...? Oh yeah! Because I don't care 8-)

1306703321510.jpg?1306718645

I meant typical.

I must be weird (or a normal person :roll:) .. I hadn't heard of this. I think I'll give it a pass though.

If your into ponies (or unicorns) check out Robot Unicorn Attack. Fun game :)

"Alyxx Thorne: Batman/10"

"HLPrincess: Also, I'm very proud we have Batman Himself on the Forum."

The strange amount of interest people seem to have in this show is most perplexing.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

The strange amount of interest people seem to have in this show is most perplexing.

This sentiment is corroborated by my knowledge of animation and also opinion.

I hate this show for one reason... People mic spam the songs out of this cartoon on my TF2 server, and it drives me CRAZY!

Winter's over, winter's over, let's have some holiday cheer

Winter's over, winter's over, Cause tomorrow spring is here

Cause tomorrow spiring is here.

Imagine that on repeat for the rest of your life.

I hate this show for one reason... People mic spam the songs out of this cartoon on my TF2 server, and it drives me CRAZY!

:lol: Sorry about that! But you hate trolls not the show. I've seen a couple mic spam videos and you're lucky if they only spam winter wrap up

I didn't know anything about this show until this forum opened my eyes on the last week. I can't say I hate the show, though I definitely can't say I love it. For me it's just mediocre cartoon that is not worth my time. But, If some people like it, well... many people are fond of much worse things than that. The only annoying and irritating thing about this show is the fans. NOTE: I'm not talking about ABG specifically. People often makes conclusions about different sort of things judging it's fans. So, I think many people don't give a damn about MLP, or another show, or music, or whatever until the fans start to piss you off.

I was linked to the first episode via the Binary topic. I found it amazingly hard to close the tab after, and only managed to not finish the episode due to Firefox crashing. It's... peculiar to say the least but for a show who's original targeted audience is young girls, it's a hell of a lot better than what I catch on TV now a days.

But that just may be the after effects of K-on talking. :x

I don't really like the show for the ponies :lol:

129902783169-dat_plot.jpg

Retired Forum Moderator