174 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about MLP:FiM

• I like it
    • I dislike it
    • Haven't watched it
    • WTF is this?
    • Neutral

This poll is closed to new votes

One of the other forums I go to is pretty much run by bronies with serious programming skills. On April Fools the whole site just started spinning as the seapony song and dance played.

It was good times.

Where was this?

Also known as "Username"

One of the other forums I go to is pretty much run by bronies with serious programming skills. On April Fools the whole site just started spinning as the seapony song and dance played.

It was good times.

Where was this?

Remember a while back when I said I was working on a pony-based video game? Well, we have a forum and design wiki. And all the programmers have access to the site's code, since it's going to be a browser-based java game. It often leads to shenanigans.

Also once they made Lyra do her Lyra jump onto the screen at random intervals. Freaked me the hell out the first time, and I spent the next ten minutes staring at the screen trying to find out whether I had gone crazy or not.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/ShinyShiny

"Anything I can do to help?"

I've been contemplating making a few PMVs for a long while now

A kind of magic

I want it all

I'm going slightly mad (featuring mental breakdown ponies)

The show must go on

Also known as "Username"

Great, more competition...

First check if any of them have been done. Even if they suck and you could do better, it's a good way to narrow down the choices. Then take a deep look at the lyrics and make sure theres stuff you can work with. Just because a title is very related to something common in ponydom doesn't mean the lyrics are (my safety dance video, for example, only has dancing during the chorus, otherwise it has random stuff like interplanetary travel and losing control). Also keep in mind however you're going to do it: simple PMV or special effects, literal interpretation or telling a story, intelligent or emotional, etc.

I've actually been contemplating writing a guide to PMV making, just because I have a feeling that lots of people just need it explained, because it's really not that hard.

First check if any of them have been done. Even if they suck and you could do better, it's a good way to narrow down the choices. Then take a deep look at the lyrics and make sure theres stuff you can work with. Just because a title is very related to something common in ponydom doesn't mean the lyrics are (my safety dance video, for example, only has dancing during the chorus, otherwise it has random stuff like interplanetary travel and losing control). Also keep in mind however you're going to do it: simple PMV or special effects, literal interpretation or telling a story, intelligent or emotional, etc.

I've actually been contemplating writing a guide to PMV making, just because I have a feeling that lots of people just need it explained, because it's really not that hard.

The only one of those songs I've seen done was "A kind of magic", done by the manliest brony in the world, dustykatt.

I'm also a big fan of special effects in a PMV.

Also known as "Username"

The only one of those songs I've seen done was "A kind of magic", done by the manliest brony in the world, dustykatt.

Like I said, take another look at the lyrics. Another thing to pay attention to is if the song has long periods without any lyrics. Those are great for putting in some story elements but can ruin a literal PMV. Also if a certain line is repeated too often it can be hard to find a bunch of clips of people doing it (you may think there are lots of times that characters want it all, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find stuff once the obvious is gone). Luckily, lip synching can be a big help there. Lip synching is also really easy to do, but hard to do well. As long as the mouth is closed when there's no sound and open when there is, you're fine.

Any specific program/programs you have in mind that you want to use? I personally use Vegas for simple PMVs and rough cuts, then use After Effects for... effects afterwards. But whatever you plan on using will be fine.

Like I said, take another look at the lyrics. Another thing to pay attention to is if the song has long periods without any lyrics. Those are great for putting in some story elements but can ruin a literal PMV. Also if a certain line is repeated too often it can be hard to find a bunch of clips of people doing it (you may think there are lots of times that characters want it all, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find stuff once the obvious is gone). Luckily, lip synching can be a big help there. Lip synching is also really easy to do, but hard to do well. As long as the mouth is closed when there's no sound and open when there is, you're fine.

Any specific program/programs you have in mind that you want to use? I personally use Vegas for simple PMVs and rough cuts, then use After Effects for... effects afterwards. But whatever you plan on using will be fine.

I was contemplating downloading AAE again. I typically use vegas for effects, though.

Also known as "Username"

I was contemplating downloading AAE again. I typically use vegas for effects, though.

I wish I could use Vegas for effects, but I can't figure it out. I just understand AE better than Vegas (thanks to Andrew Kramer). But if you can do it, do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rV_0n5gp1fE was made using exclusively Vegas. I also think it's amazingly intuitive and great for editing; Adobe is known for making horrible interfaces.

Yeah, I'm sure Vegas is easier to use than AE. I just know AE better for whatever reason. Now pick a song and start picking out clips. If you are going to add effects, take that into consideration, specifically which scenes would have a freeze frame and which ones will have more than one shot on screen at once. If a clip lasts exactly as long as the part of the music it's no good, you need extra time for transitioning to the next clip.

Oh, and I've been meaning to write this here but kept getting distracted: I started readin the Fallout Equestria Side story Pink Eyes. I'm alomst at the end, and I love the whole thing. The writing isn't nearly as good, but the characters are much more endearing and the whole message is awesome. Also I keep finding awesome quotes:

"Uh, last time I saw him he was dead... maybe he got getter?"

[an A.I.] "confound these ponies! They drive me to emotions!"

[when asked if she's seen a tank] "Uh-huh, but it was being a bully, so I hit it with my rock and it exploded"

I love Puppysmiles. The original story was all about removing innocence from FiM and making it brutal, and this character is perfectly built to not only ignore the brutal, but be immune to it, and bring the innocence BACK. I love it.

Turns out the reason why that game was so bad (according to someone who worked on it) was because I was linked to was a really outdated version of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1oKoWmu1zQ

On a side note: when I was searching for the video in that link, for some reason YouTube wanted me to search "Fluttershy is a pirate".