174 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think about MLP:FiM

• I like it
    • I dislike it
    • Haven't watched it
    • WTF is this?
    • Neutral

This poll is closed to new votes

"People like" could include me. Why use me as an example, anyway? I dislike the show, not the fans.
How can you possibly know if you actually dislike the show?

From what I've read about it, I can tell I wouldn't like it.

I'll just edit mah post.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Well what did you read? The only way to be sure you wouldn't like it is to watch it yourself. I'm not sure what you read, but it could have been biased. All reviews(or anything really) no matter who wrote them have bias.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Well what did you read? The only way to be sure you wouldn't like it is to watch it yourself. I'm not sure what you read, but it could have been biased. All reviews(or anything really) no matter who wrote them have bias.

I've read descriptions of the episodes and the references within, had some of the jokes told to me and see tons of gifs of visual jokes online from Bronies.

That's plenty to know I don't care for what's going on there.

"It's time to evolve. That's why we're troubled. You know why our institutions are failing us, the church, the state, everything's failing? It's because they're no longer relevant...Evolution did not end with us growing opposable thumbs."

That's cool. You can stop posting in this thread until you have something constructive to say about the subject matter then.

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

That's cool. You can stop posting in this thread until you have something constructive to say about the subject matter then.

i7bvl.jpg

"It's time to evolve. That's why we're troubled. You know why our institutions are failing us, the church, the state, everything's failing? It's because they're no longer relevant...Evolution did not end with us growing opposable thumbs."

From what I can gather, the people here are afraid to watch it because they think they might like it. That's why they act like reading about a TV show is the same as watching it. It's rather sad. I guess you didn't read my post when I said that we all didn't think that we'd like it.

i7bvl.jpg

That's not what I meant by constructive...

Criticizing MLP: FiM without watching it is like saying Duke Nukem Forever is a bad game without playing it. Yeah you read some info on it and heard people talk about it, but you haven't actually fucking watched/played it, so shut the fuck up until you do. Otherwise you're a massive prick that gives me migraines every time you say "MLP sux" or "DNF is soooooo misogynistic" without having any right to do so. Now if you say "It doesn't seem like my thing, but whatever if you like it", then I'm fine with that. And if you actually watch the show/play the game to certain point (3-4 episodes I guess), and you don't like it, fine. It'd only be one hour of your apparently really fucking important time, and it'd be better than watching cats fall in boxes again.

Sorry, this is a bit of pet peeve of mine. Also yes, I am projecting right now.

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

Whoever said that we started watching the show convinced that we wouldn't like it: it's true. I watch a lot of Zero Punctuation and they have internet threads on the sides of the videos; I lurk there a lot. On one thread, some guy posted a video of Rarity whining; my first impression was that it was cute for a little girl's show. The guy later declared Rarity was his favorite pony; that's when I decided to watch. The intro of the pilot episode is cringe-worthy for anyone über masculine, such as myself. I laughed derisively every time someone said "Equestria." After the pilot episode, I said to myself, "Meh. I'll watch another one, just because I like that Rainbow Dash pony so much." After that, I watched another one, and then another one hoping they had more Rainbow Dash. And then episode 5, I started liking every single character--with the exception of Applejack (I'm growing to like her, though)--and I was hooked on the show. It was a very weird experience, honestly.

Props to the Sweedish police for taking down the The Pirate Bay guys.

So you like the police doing illegal things? How about they come over, and beat you to a pulp, that sound good to you too?

The Pirate Bay has never done anything even remotely illegal.

I'm not doing anything illegal, so no--that doesn't sound very nice!

Honestly, I know nothing about Sweedish law. I do know that in Canada, the police must obtain a search warrant to kick down the door of your house but they have to consult a judge to do that.

Here in Canada, it's illegal to aid and/or abet criminal activities; I'm no lawyer, but it certainly seems that's what the The Pirate Bay guys were doing (they were part of an "anti-copyright" group after all). I seem to recall that they were convicted by an actual law, too...

The people that upload MLP to Youtube aren't exactly angels. The original (I think) video of episode 1 with over 2,000,000 views was taken down due to a copyright claim recently: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JeJ6-gN0eB4 along with a score of other episodes but people will just re upload them. MAST3RLINKX is a prime example. His episodes were removed, so he re uploaded them and made a YTP mocking the legality of what he was doing. I fail to see any ethical difference between watching and downloading MLP on Youtube and torrenting it.

MAST3RLINKX is the unethical one, not me. If I torrent, I have an illegal copy on my hard drive; if I watch a streaming video, I'm watching someone else have an illegal copy. I think it's kind of like the difference between stealing cable and watching stolen cable through someone's window. Also, I could be wrong about this, but I've never heard of intellectual property owners getting mad at people who watch streaming videos; they get mad at people who upload them.

And if you actually watch the show/play the game to certain point (3-4 episodes I guess), and you don't like it, fine.

Why does everypony say this? If the show gets to the point where it's so bad, it's intolerable, why is it not permissible to write it off? Even if the rest is decent, the show still averages on mediocre.

It's not a blind assumption of unenjoyment or disinterest. I've seen examples of the program, not peer based comments, actual quotations and images and literal descriptions of some of the plots, I use that to affirm my claim that I would not enjoy the show.

I give things a good look over before I dismiss them, I do my research. I don't watch things if I have reason to suspect they aren't my taste. There are, actually, kids shows based on toys I like, but now the people who collect them are just hipsters and guys whose mom's threw the originals out when they were 12. I like He-Man and the Masters of the Universe, it's terrible, but it's fun for me because I love gratuitous homoeroticism. That's an interest of mine and why I like it. I know what MLP is about and it's not my taste.

I love Duke Nukem, by the way.

WOAH! Now you're calling He-Man GAY?!? GET OUT! THERE IS NO LOVE AND TOLERATION FOR YOU!

WOAH! Now you're calling He-Man GAY?!? GET OUT! THERE IS NO LOVE AND TOLERATION FOR YOU!

Fisto, Ram Man.

"I'd like to hear more about this hooded seed-man of yours!" "I feel the bony finger of Skeletor!" "Your assistance is required on Snake Mountain!"

poiuyt, you're the most rational My Little Pony hater I've seen--I respect you for that.

Thank you, thank you very much.

poiuyt, you're the most rational My Little Pony hater I've seen--I respect you for that.

And I'm the most sadistic, evil, and cynical.

The main reason I don't think MLP would be my sort of thing is because many people have described it as "cutesy." I greatly dislike "cutesy" things. I'm evil and soulless like that.

The whole "Hey, friendship is cool, guys!" thing seems like the purview of the show, even though alphabetagamma has said it's more than that.. could someone tell me what it's about other than that? I know it's about some pony named Twilight Sparkle who has something to do with this pony named Celestia and has to learn about friendship or something similar to that. It doesn't sound very appealing to me.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

The "Learning about friendship" is just in a letter Twilight sends to Celestia at the end of every episode. The actual show isn't "OH MY GAWD FRIENDSHIP IS SO AWESUM"! The best way I can describe it is "Slice of life with ponies with distinct characteristics and occasionally a baby alligator that is always the best part of any scene he is in".

I love you, yet can't stand to know you exist.

Well, unlike the rest, I'm not gonna try to justify why you should watch it. If you refuse, not my problem. I enjoy the show, I got friends who enjoy the show, wanting the rest of the world to enjoy it feels too selfish for me.

Retired Forum Moderator

And I'm the most sadistic, evil, and cynical.
You're very internet naive if you think that.
I'm stubborn and neophobic like that.
Yes' date=' yes you are.
The whole "Hey, friendship is cool, guys!" thing seems like the purview of the show, even though alphabetagamma has said it's more than that.. could someone tell me what it's about other than that?
Would really like to know? This video explains some of the plot quite well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqgsXkmQ6ZI
It's not a blind assumption of unenjoyment or disinterest. I've seen examples of the program' date=' not peer based comments, actual quotations and images and literal descriptions of some of the plots, I use that to affirm my claim that I would not enjoy the show.[/quote']There's a difference between experiencing something and knowing about something. That's why I get upset when you say you know it's not your thing.
MAST3RLINKX is the unethical one, not me. If I torrent, I have an illegal copy on my hard drive; if I watch a streaming video, I'm watching someone else have an illegal copy. I think it's kind of like the difference between stealing cable and watching stolen cable through someone's window. Also, I could be wrong about this, but I've never heard of intellectual property owners getting mad at people who watch streaming videos; they get mad at people who upload them.
Watching someone else's stolen cable and stealing cable are not that different ethically. Streaming is essentially downloading a temporary copy of whatever you're watching. It doesn't matter if you stream it or torrent it, you're still "stealing" from Hasbro by watching their property without compensating them.
Why does everypony say this? If the show gets to the point where it's so bad, it's intolerable, why is it not permissible to write it off? Even if the rest is decent, the show still averages on mediocre.
We say it so people know we don't want them to watch the whole season, just a few episodes. About the same number of episodes it took for us to start liking the show.

And that's my wall of text.

I can't afford the Hub right now and the DVD hasn't been released yet. I wouldn't mind buying a few toys if it meant I could stream episodes.

Hi Friend.