Joint Strike Fighter Program

Sign in to follow this  

Sixty knots with some headwind - and a Cessna C-172 will be able to take off vertically :-)

Regards

Exactly. When I lived in arizona, I saw a few of them take off flying backwards... Landed that way too. Mind boggling if you aren't well versed in physics, but still an amazing sight to watch some idiot nearly take off just trying to taxi to the runway. lol

Faster and more maneuverable carriers = much easier aircraft launches.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Ah, yet another fail for F-35...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/03/08/flying_blind_f35s_radar_software_fails_in_the_air/

I guess the pilots just have to learn doing in flight... :lol:

And this... :D

Dr Keith Joiner, former Australian Defence Force director-general for test and evaluation, told Background Briefing the F-35 hasn't yet completed its cybersecurity testing.

“The only system that has done cybersecurity vulnerability and penetration testing is the logistics software, so ordering spares. And it didn't go very well”, Dr Joiner claims.

“The most software driven aircraft ever built hasn't yet been tested against cyber security and the modern cyber warfare threats”.

Regards

Interesting... I would've guessed they'd done at least SOME testing in that regards by now, it's certainly been in testing long enough.

To be fair, this is all part of a testing program designed to find issues-- they found an issue, now they're gonna fix it. It's not like the A-10, or the F-16, or the F-22, or whatever fighter didn't go through the same phase.

The 'testing' phase has gone on longer than any 3 other combat aircraft. This is because it has found major design flaws, but the DoD refuses to scrap the aircraft.

The 'testing' phase has gone on longer than any 3 other combat aircraft. This is because it has found major design flaws, but the DoD refuses to scrap the aircraft.

Well is there another 5th generation, stealth, multirole fighter that can take it's place? Because the aircraft it's replacing (the F-16, AV-8B, and F/A-18C and D models) wouldn't be able to compete in a conflict with a peer-strength adversary (i.e. China), and are all relatively old and maintenance-heavy. The F-35 has its flaws, but it's waaay too late to scrap it at this point.

At this point, it's cheaper to refit all F-18's and F-16's with the electronics from the F-35 than it is to make enough F-35's to fill an aircraft carrier, and that would result in almost the same combat capabilities.

The F-35 has been WAY overhyped, and so has its supposed benefits. It has thus far been nothing but a money hole, making a plane that won't be combat ready for another couple decades. (and even then it probly won't even be as good as it claimed to be when they made their first prototype)

Take a look at this as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_F/A-18E/F_Super_Hornet#Radar_signature_reduction_measures

The only significant improvement over the F-18 as far as the internals are concerned, are the hydraulic system, (micro hydraulics, there are fewer drawbacks to it than there are improvements over standard designs, wouldn't take that much to retrofit the F-18 with them) and the avionics package. (which wouldn't take more than a year to design for the F-18)

At this point, it's cheaper to refit all F-18's and F-16's with the electronics from the F-35 than it is to make enough F-35's to fill an aircraft carrier, and that would result in almost the same combat capabilities.

The F-35 has been WAY overhyped, and so has its supposed benefits. It has thus far been nothing but a money hole, making a plane that won't be combat ready for another couple decades. (and even then it probly won't even be as good as it claimed to be when they made their first prototype)

Take a look at this as well: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boeing_F/A-18E/F_Super_Hornet#Radar_signature_reduction_measures

The only significant improvement over the F-18 as far as the internals are concerned, are the hydraulic system, (micro hydraulics, there are fewer drawbacks to it than there are improvements over standard designs, wouldn't take that much to retrofit the F-18 with them) and the avionics package. (which wouldn't take more than a year to design for the F-18)

I'll grant you that the F-35 is probably the least useful for the Navy, which already has a modern multirole that's versatile and light on maintenance. But for the Air Force, they absolutely need an F-35 or another new fighter. The F-16 is aging, and USAF F-16 aircraft have already undergone a number of life-extension programs and avionics upgrades. The maintenance-per-flight hour is sky high compared to the F-35 or the Super Hornet. The same could be said for most of the USAF's fighter aircraft. Not to mention that the F-16 wouldn't be survivable in the kind of environment you'd see in a conflict with another superpower. It's RCS is high compared to the F-35 or even the Super Hornet, and it would run into serious resistance with the latest Chinese or Russian fighters (PAK-FA comes to mind, whenever they finish that). I wouldn't trust an F-16 to do a first strike in very heavily contested airspace, but I would trust an F-35.

I wouldn't trust the F-35 with my life, and neither would any experienced pilot that hadn't been paid to say otherwise. Too many serious design flaws, too little survivability should the stealth be compromised, (visual acquisition systems are becoming a reality, and are immune to ECS or stealth) way too many compromises to give it 'the best' stealth. (the only one I would trust would be the Navy version, I don't ever want to fly in combat with less than 2 engines)

The Air Force is seriously considering other aircraft as well, but all US forces are committed at this point to at least some of the F-35's. They are good for stealth, but that's it. They can NEVER take over the roles of all the other fighters.

F-35 is a typical military procurement disaster - overspecified and underfunded, they wanted it to be a be all, end all - the last fighter which is ever built. The one that flies faster and higher and hovers like a bumble bee and is not seen by the enemy and can perform any mission from tank busting to stealthy assassination to dogfight to shooting down alien spaceships.

And the inevitable result - something that barely flies, barely shoots, barely lands, is late and way over budget.

Well, it's not that such things are unique to the US military... Reminds me a lot of the R-38 debacle. The history repeats itself only, hopefully, with fewer casualties...

Regards

These videos helped me to form my opinion about the F-35-- Originally I was against it for much of the same reasons you guys are, but once I saw these my opinion shifted a lot. The robot narrator can get kinda tedious at times but they give some really good insight and information.

ZtZNBkKdO5U

LyHlp7tJrxY

31oJIo8EVwY

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.