Games that surprised you

Sign in to follow this  

Deus Ex, around 1998 or so. I think I went to a store, oblivious of any reviews or hype around the game. I saw a few screenshots on the back of the box and I believe the HUD and style of the game reminded me of Syndicate, a game I read about in magazines when I was 15 or something. I never got the play Syndicate, but Deus Ex seemed cool. Best impulse buy ever. System Shock 2 came shortly after that, naturally.

So my friend just got Fallout: NV, I went to his house, hyped that it would be awesome. It is a buggy F3 with mods :S I am definetly not buying it unless it goes on sale.

Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits. I randomly bought it when I was young. It didn't have any sort of anticipation whatsoever. It is now one of my all-time favorite games.

Do you feel blame? Are you mad? Uh, do you feel like wolf kabob Roth vantage? Gefrannis booj pooch boo jujube; bear-ramage. Jigiji geeji geeja geeble Google. Begep flagaggle vaggle veditch-waggle bagga?

Final Fantasy 7. I didn't expect anything in particular, because FF7 was the first JRPG in my gaming experience. Someone just told me that it's pretty good. I used to play classic RPG and when I saw this one I was... WTF?! But after couple hours I couldn't stop playing. After that I realized that JRPG could be a real masterpiece.

Lego Indiana Jones

I got it free might as well play it!

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

BioShock 2.

Holy moly that game was amazing.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

DX:IW

Everyone said it sucked, but when I found a used copy for $5... I liked it. Never played the original game, but IW got me into the series, and made me torrent the leaked Beta of DX:HR, so it can't be bad.

PS: Torrent the leaked Beta of DX:HR if you can, it's well worth it. (I suspect it was an intentional leak to build up hype, which I'm exceedingly willing to do since playing the leaked version)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

That leak contained about 1/3 of the game, I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentioanl : l

That leak contained the first 2 main story missions, not the first 1/3 of the game. I doubt it'll only have 6 main story missions in the entire game. (wouldn't be enough time to get even 1/4 of the way to maximum Praxis)

This is actually about double the length of a normal demo, and if I recall right, they said that when they released the demo for DX:HR it would be much longer than normal demos. This looks to me to be a pre-release, unpolished demo.

How many games have you seen this far done, that aren't demos, leaked this long before release unintentionally?

Sly Cooper 3

"Cel shading. Kind of cool I guess, it makes it look like a saturday morning cartoon.

Man these unskippable cutscenes with written-for-10-year-olds dialogue are kind of annoying.

Hey this game has pretty fun gameplay. I like being this kind of thief."

Hours go by

"Great gobberwarts I am now the Captain of an Infamous Pirate Ship and also a Gentleman Thief Parkour expert with a cane I like this"

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

That leak contained about 1/3 of the game, I'm pretty sure it wasn't intentioanl : l

That leak contained the first 2 main story missions, not the first 1/3 of the game. I doubt it'll only have 6 main story missions in the entire game. (wouldn't be enough time to get even 1/4 of the way to maximum Praxis)

This is actually about double the length of a normal demo, and if I recall right, they said that when they released the demo for DX:HR it would be much longer than normal demos. This looks to me to be a pre-release, unpolished demo.

How many games have you seen this far done, that aren't demos, leaked this long before release unintentionally?

Sorry, I thought that I'd read that info on PC Gamer.

*edit* Yeah I was correct, a 10-12 hr long build was leaked. Approx. 1/3 of the game.

*edit* Yeah I was correct, a 10-12 hr long build was leaked. Approx. 1/3 of the game.

The leaked beta is only about 8 hours max if you're a noob, and take your time... Seriously. Try it, go everywhere crouched, and take a full loop of the city each time you go somewhere.

If that was in PC Gamer, they are morons. There's no way that the leaked is 1/3 of the final.

DX:IW

Everyone said it sucked, but when I found a used copy for $5... I liked it. Never played the original game, but IW got me into the series, and made me torrent the leaked Beta of DX:HR, so it can't be bad.

PS: Torrent the leaked Beta of DX:HR if you can, it's well worth it. (I suspect it was an intentional leak to build up hype, which I'm exceedingly willing to do since playing the leaked version)

IW wasn't at all any bad game and I liked how they simplified the weapons and such compared to the first game. But overall, I think the first game just is a better game in some aspects. But yeah, IW didn't deserve most of the hate it got.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

The leaked beta is only about 8 hours max if you're a noob, and take your time... Seriously. Try it, go everywhere crouched, and take a full loop of the city each time you go somewhere.

If that was in PC Gamer, they are morons. There's no way that the leaked is 1/3 of the final.

You said the leak was slightly longer than a demo : l

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood. I was fearing that by this stage it had reached "trying too hard" status and after all the first game I just couldn't beat due to how repetitive it was, but found I couldn't quit playing this one until I beat it. O_o

Retired Forum Moderator

I look at BTG's words as a challenge. I am a master slacker in games.

I look at BTG's words as a challenge. I am a master slacker in games.

Sitting somewhere in-game doing nothing is not included in the amount of time quoted. :ugeek:

I only do that sort of thing in STALKER. Sitting in front of campfires with my homies the Freedomers and watch the sun set is nice and cozy.

If I remember correctly my first Dead Space 2 runthrough lasted over 20 hours of gameplay time.