Games that surprised you

Sign in to follow this  

I only do that in STALKER when sitting in front of campfires with my homies and watch the sun set. Iirc my Dead Space 2 runthrough lasted over 20 hours.

That fast? Mine took 46.3 hours. (with trainer)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Man, you are good if that is true.

No trainers here though. Only a patch to get rid of some of the malware that ships with the game.

It is pretty obvious that the DS2 level designers expected people would run through the game and never look back after clearing a room, because I ran into plenty of bugs by going back to look for stuff I may have missed. Like that room where you're supposed to remove power cells of oxygen generators to suffocate a big fire that was in the way. Things went real buggy there.

Yeah, I never turned back though... I just took my sweet time, saw the sights, and spent an hour figuring out why I couldn't kill that unkillable one at the end... Finally made a trainer that killed it... That was fun. :ugeek:

I only do that sort of thing in STALKER. Sitting in front of campfires with my homies the Freedomers and watch the sun set is nice and cozy.

I do roughly the same thing in that game, except I listen to the music.

Retired Forum Moderator

Well... Dead Space was the first game I played that I thought was scary. And I loved it. Especially when I jumped from something popping up out of nowhere.

But... Dead Space 2 on the otherhand... I didn't think it was too scary... I ended up laughing a lot...

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.

I don't really follow gaming news so when I saw my roommate playing it about a year and a half ago I just thought it was another bargain bin special. He lent it to me and told me to just give it a try, and within ten minutes I was hooked. Ended up logging over a hundred hours in that game and now I'm counting the days until Skyrim is released.

Mass Effect 1/2.

I've never liked TPS, but this was one that I actually liked for some reason.

Silent Hill.

what a horror masterpiece.

R.I.P Stephen "Anti-Social Fatman" Bray

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey really surprised me, but in a bad way. From the trailers I had seen I was expecting a masterpiece adventure game that bordered on a RPG. What I got was an absolutely butchered game that barely resembled a point-and-click adventure game, except they threw in horrible controls and a lackluster combat system. The story was also a horrible mess of clichés and bad writing and also had a ton of continuity errors with the first game in the series, not to mention the voice acting was so bad it made Deus Ex seem like a masterpiece in comparison. Definitely a game I regret ever buying, though I doubt you can blame me as I am still a huge fan of the first game and I thought from the trailers that it was going to be great.

And now Ragnar Tørnquist is talking about making another sequel. I wanna punch the guy's face for raping his own franchise...

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey really surprised me, but in a bad way. From the trailers I had seen I was expecting a masterpiece adventure game that bordered on a RPG. What I got was an absolutely butchered game that barely resembled a point-and-click adventure game, except they threw in horrible controls and a lackluster combat system. The story was also a horrible mess of clichés and bad writing and also had a ton of continuity errors with the first game in the series, not to mention the voice acting was so bad it made Deus Ex seem like a masterpiece in comparison. Definitely a game I regret ever buying, though I doubt you can blame me as I am still a huge fan of the first game and I thought from the trailers that it was going to be great.

And now Ragnar Tørnquist is talking about making another sequel. I wanna punch the guy's face for raping his own franchise...

Sounds about like comparing the game Sniper: Ghost Warrior to it's hype...

This is sounding weird but...

I love Deus Ex.

I don't know why, just a day ago I hated it, but today I was playing it and something clicked, and now I love it. I'm not sure what happened but whatever it is, I'm okay with it.

"In the meantime, the sun will be rising. You will know all, and I will not feel this dread any longer."

Minecraft, pretty fun game, I enjoy the simplistic adventure side of the game a lot more than I thought I would. Seems like a game you play for the updates more than the actual game itself though.

I love Deus Ex.

I don't know why, just a day ago I hated it, but today I was playing it and something clicked, and now I love it. I'm not sure what happened but whatever it is, I'm okay with it.

Reminds me of something off topic...

I love Deus Ex.

I hope that happens with me, because I'm thinking about uninstalling the original, and reinstalling IW...

I love Deus Ex.

I hope that happens with me, because I'm thinking about uninstalling the original, and reinstalling IW...

Keep playing it, because once you're in it, it'll have you hooked by the mouth.

Deus Ex, the original. I bought on Steam sale purely because it was a classic game that I'd missed out on, I started it up and I've just finished playing through the first mission. This game. Is. Amazing. It's so awesome to have a wide selection of choices to choose from when going through a mission, I actually played the first mission twice with two different saves just so I could figure out whether I preferred to utilize my stealthy abilities or charge on through ( stealth definitely won). I also loved the awesome selection of weapons I could choose from, my favorite thing to do is to sneak up to guards while disguised by the shadows then shock him with my prod.

Playing this has really piqued my interest in the latest iteration of the series and DX: HR will be one of the few games that I would pay full price for.

Deus Ex, the original. I bought on Steam sale purely because it was a classic game that I'd missed out on, I started it up and I've just finished playing through the first mission. This game. Is. Amazing. It's so awesome to have a wide selection of choices to choose from when going through a mission, I actually played the first mission twice with two different saves just so I could figure out whether I preferred to utilize my stealthy abilities or charge on through ( stealth definitely won). I also loved the awesome selection of weapons I could choose from, my favorite thing to do is to sneak up to guards while disguised by the shadows then shock him with my prod.

Playing this has really piqued my interest in the latest iteration of the series and DX: HR will be one of the few games that I would pay full price for.

I have mutliple saves just to see how my choices interact the dialgoue.

Right now I'm in Hong Kong and so far it is my favorite level.

I just finished playing an on-rails shooter adaption of Doom called Doom: Resurrection. At first I thought this was going to be a mediocre incarnation of Doom 3 but I was surprised that it's story was pretty decent. I only have 4 problems with this game.

1. The fights can get tedious.

2. The weapons feel underpowered compared to Doom 3.

3. The game doesn't even try to be scary.

4. The aiming crosshair screws itself up at the beginning of each level. (Minus the first one.)

Everything else except for those problems is great. I'd recommend it to any IPhone or IPod Touch users who are fans of Doom.

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

So I just realized that there are no checkpoints in Deus Ex. I raged when I was sent back to the very beginning of the level.