FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 0

Good point. Half Life was released in the same year as the first Thief game, although I don't know which came first. There must have been some pressure to include stealth as a gameplay element. Not a lot of stealth gameplay in 1st person games comes to mind before that year. The first was likely the original System Shock and *maybe* Strife or Heretic/Hexen after that. Most of them were hybrid RPGs as well.

Well, the Blake Stone games, which used the Wolfenstein 3D engine, came out around 1993 and focused somewhat on stealth, considering you had a silenced weapon and could sneak up on guards, but I don't think there ever was any pressure about it. And I think Metal Gear Solid came out around that time too, but that wasn't a first person game.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Good point. Half Life was released in the same year as the first Thief game, although I don't know which came first. There must have been some pressure to include stealth as a gameplay element. Not a lot of stealth gameplay in 1st person games comes to mind before that year. The first was likely the original System Shock and *maybe* Strife or Heretic/Hexen after that. Most of them were hybrid RPGs as well.

Well, the Blake Stone games, which used the Wolfenstein 3D engine, came out around 1993 and focused somewhat on stealth, considering you had a silenced weapon and could sneak up on guards, but I don't think there ever was any pressure about it. And I think Metal Gear Solid came out around that time too, but that wasn't a first person game.

That's because Blake Stone was essentially Wolfenstein 3-D IN SPACE so the silent gun was really just so you always had a weapon and it was an energy weapon because knives aren't sci-fi enough.

Incidentally you're the only person I've ever seen talk about Blake Stone--I played it as a kid and have fond memories of it, though it was overshadowed by a certain other First Person Shooter...rather doomed by it, you might say...

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

I just used the shift key and walked instead of crouching, I think that's how Señor Scott did it.

Anyway, I thought that the decision to leave off the nonsensical training parts was a good idea.

Oh... So that's what you're supposed to do. I just chucked 'nades everywhere and sprinted for the doors, usually breaking the wood apart with another grenade.

Wow, really? That's what you joke with? A PS2 game made seven years later?

Come on, dude. You could at least joke with something contemporary. AND NATIVE TO THE PC. (Yes I know GTA III was on PC as well but it was a port.)

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

And I think Metal Gear Solid came out around that time too, but that wasn't a first person game.

It serves a point, though I am not at all sure if many non-FPS games around or before 1998 had some semblance of stealth gameplay. Heck, I hardly remember what I played before Half Life.

.. Lemmings. I need to play Lemmings again. Don't care much for Doom, Dune or Commander Keen. I want to see cute things kill themselves over and over and ov- ..

And I think Metal Gear Solid came out around that time too, but that wasn't a first person game.

It serves a point, though I am not at all sure if many non-FPS games around or before 1998 had some semblance of stealth gameplay. Heck, I hardly remember what I played before Half Life.

.. Lemmings. I need to play Lemmings again. Don't care much for Doom, Dune or Commander Keen. I want to see cute things kill themselves over and over and ov- ..

You're all just a bunch of lemmings with machine guns. :D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

To be honest that was probably the worst Freeman's Mind episode so far.
I think that this is by far the funniest episode out of all of them.

Heh, well which was it? The best ever, or the worst ever?

when he mimics the scientist right after the first jumping obstacle (seriously that was freaking PERFECT, the way he did it)

I know, I nearly spat on my screen when I heard that. I love his dorky impressions. My second one though would have been the bum doing the "Neeeeaaa!" part. Hmm, I think good, personified deliverance of lines usually get the better of my sense of humour.

I have to say Ross, it's really, really awesome in it's own Gene(I might've said that wrong O.o) But I'd like to know what happens when he jumps on the orange target. . .

DaFreeman

I was wondering the same thing. Taking unusually long to go up this time around.

I have to say Ross, it's really, really awesome in it's own Gene(I might've said that wrong O.o) But I'd like to know what happens when he jumps on the orange target.

Ah, much better to read. Also, yeah, where is the download link?

MACHINIMA IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE DOWNLOAD LINK WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU!?!?!?!1111ONEONEONE!!!![/non-seriousness]

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

"To wipe your ass, first orient your hand behind yourself, then move it forward. Or backward."

That is my new signature.

This makes me really feel VERY STUPID because this may well be the dumbest question in the short history of the AF forums, but HOW THE HELL can you wipe your ass by moving your hand BACKWARD after positioning it behind you? *tries imagining it*... It wouldn't work!

(Yes, I need to get a profile pic so people don't mistake my name for something it was never MEANT to mean...)

Umm...there's probably a little more specifics that you'd have to put into it...specifics I don't wish to get into. Hey if you want an ass-wiping tutorial go make a thread about that but don't expect me to reply in it. :P

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Loved this episode. I just didn't like how Freeman mocked the scientist with "Please move on to the next area". That bit pissed me off a bit for some reason.

I can't remember a single moment in Half-life that didn't involve running out guns blazing and shooting your enemies in the face.

What about the parts with the large tentacles? It was often best to steak past them rather than running like crazy, chucking grenades this way and that.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

Umm...there's probably a little more specifics that you'd have to put into it...specifics I don't wish to get into. Hey if you want an ass-wiping tutorial go make a thread about that but don't expect me to reply in it. :P

That's IT! I NOW HAVE A PROFILE PICTURE FOR ANYONE WHO HAS WEIRD THOUGHTS. Ugh, I should just have named myself Sir Serviette or something... AMERICANS!

Although, admittedly, my question may have been the problem, not my name... *still trying to figure it out*

Any ETA on the Download link?
Sorry, I've been extremely busy, I ended up forgetting about it. It should be up now.