Forum Post Adventure

Sign in to follow this  

PONDER!

I don't like writer's block, I prefer to call it writer's parry.

You come up with an ingenious plan for escape using a train of thought that leads you away from the wall. However that train was quickly derailed by an air particle and your subconscious mind reminding you that the smell of the tentacle was much like that one winter day with Niel. The train carried you NORTH, throwing you to the opposite wall at high speed. Again the spring protected you from the impact slightly, but your spinal cord disagrees with the amount of momentum you had, so now your head feels like it's in a vice.

The Tentacle is confused, because at the same time that it's pressing against a body suddenly turned into pressing against air and slammed into the wall, your body hit the opposite wall, making equivalent "thud"s on opposite sides of the room.

Your obvious exits are PANIC, KILL MONSTER, DIE, ARGUE. To the EAST are the remains of a once proud and glorious wood crate, to the WEST is the looted body of Christopherson. To the NORTH is a pit with a foul tentacle coming out of it.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

The tentacle is now rapidly swinging back and forth between the two locations where it heard a noise from, growling much in the way an antelope doesn't.

Back at the location of the smashed crate, you see wood chips and a thrown glock pistol with one round fired.

Inside the pile of woodchips appears to be what used to be an engine block, but it's smashed to bits. Looks like another spring or a camshaft could be salvaged, but who knows if those things could ever be useful. Additionally, who knows if the tentacle may want its woodchips back.

The floor below you feels like it's starting to bend from the stress because of the banging earlier.

Obvious exits are EAST to where you woke up, NORTH to the pit, WEST to where you were thrown, and JUMP. You are no longer interested in Panicking.

Pistol picked up. Amazingly it took all the blows from the tentacle like a boss and now has some badass scars and scrapes. You'd better paint this thing later so it looks like it has an eyepatch.

Dont have much of an idea to reply to that action with....sorry, but Blue makes an excellent parser.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Dont have much of an idea to reply to that action with....sorry, but Blue makes an excellent parser.

Well, you have to have played many text based adventure games to come up with responses to actions. You should try the old Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy one...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The steel plate bends under your force of will with the decision to jump, although gravity is kind of helping it along. It breaks and snaps, making you fall straight down in a small dinted hole in the floor at exactly the same time the tentacle swings around to try and squoosh the creator of a loud cracking noise. You fall so quickly in fact that your helmet detached, sitting for a moment in comfortable intertia hovering at about eye-level as you fall through the floor. You do not know the fate that awaits the helmet that remained where you were, but now you can see that you are falling in a very dark and very empty space. There are no obvious exits unless you plan on yelling to generate thrust in one direction or another.

There appears to be a green something glowing far below you, maybe as far as 100 feet. A drop from this height is survivable, but it would be recommended that you know what you're doing.

Generate thrust to reduce falling speed.

You lean forward into a skydiving position and begin to yell "SLOW DOWN!!" but it doesn't appear to be working, reminding you that physics still work in the favor of nature and not video game protagonists. You burp to generate a bit more thrust just to be sure, but it still doesn't work. Although you're accelerating towards the green whatever at over 40mph, you can tell that it's some variety of liquid, possibly viscous enough to dive into, but one can't be sure.

Obvious exits are PANIC, THROW GUN, THROW UP, DIVE and DIE.

Attempt to throw up while diving in a panic...

Your fear overwhelms your rationality and will to keep supper down. You vomit in a nervous sweat while hitting what appears to be an incandescent pool of Kool-aid fruit drink on your left shoulder with a "PKOOOSH!" in an attempt to dive head-first. Panicking took too much time.

In a flurry of disgruntled, angry and barely coherent series of thoughts, it occurs to you that you might have been able to land that better if you had your feet pointing down, arms at your sides and mouth closed. In addition, sweating was a rather weird panicking response to "falling to what may appear to be your death", what you're floating in may be the tentacle monster's urine, your left arm is dislocated and vomit just landed on your head.

The ambient light given off by the liquid you're in seems to be amplified by your flashlight, giving a bit of indication to the space you're in. It looks like some kind of concrete pipe leading WEST and quite large and empty. NORTH is what appears to be a human-like figure with either a pancake-shaped head or holding an umbrella. EAST looks like a big steel porticullus-style grate and SOUTH is the curved edge of the pipe that you almost hit while falling. Looking up, you see where you came from, an opening in the top of the pipe about the size of a car and square-shaped. Looking down, the liquid is somewhat translucent, but too thick to see all the way to the bottom. But you can see your feet treading water through it.

The moustachioed banknote appears to have changed, the figurehead has a raised eyebrow.

Doing a full butterfly swim washes off your head, getting rid of the gunk that was in your hair, thankfully.

As you approach, you see that the human-like figure is a man in a tuxedo wearing hip-waders and a bowler hat, holding an umbrella with a strawberry pattern on it. Under the fluid he appears to be standing on an oil drum.

"Checkpoint." he says dryly.

Obvious exits are SOUTH to where you landed, WEST down the pipe, and DIVE to see if there's anything on the bottom of the pipe. You can also interact with the Umbrella Man.

Your headache from earlier seems to have been aleviated, but your arm still gives sharp pains when you try to move it.

You encounter a wall of text posted by Blue. :P

Cut me some slack, man. I could potentially describe new locations more thoroughly or less thoroughly, whichever you prefer. What you saw is more of a medium level of detail.

Talk to man.

You punctuate a polite "Hi." with the gesture of waving your functioning arm. Umbrella Man looks like he may be only tangentially interested in what's going on near or around him, let alone you.

"Certainly there is something I can help you with?" He asks systematically, like a wheelbarrow running down a rut.

"What is this place?" you ask.

"This is the Nightmare. I'm your subconscious, to help you with anything if you need it." he said, reaching his hand behind the swimming goggles to adjust his monocle.

"What was that tentacle monster?" you say, keeping eye contact on the Umbrella Man while pointing upwards.

"The Initial. Most who enter aren't found capable enough to escape. Do you remember?"

"I don't think I do."

"Well I'm sure it will come back to you. Is there anything else I can help you with?" said the Umbrella Man, turning his attention to the umbrella and giving it a shake before returning it to an idle pose.

"Can you help me remember?"

"I cannot, it's not within the realm of my ability to assist. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"My arm maybe."

"Anything from your POCKET that you would consider just as useful as your arm I could trade for its health. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Obvious exits have not changed.

Trade glasses to heal arm.