What I'm up to

Poor Ross. His little update got turned into an argument about video players.

Oh please, he's not a kid anymore, he can take it and otherwise they're crocodile tears. How about thinking: poor visitors that might needlessly changing their player because of his frontpage statement, or at least poor Ross for getting bad advice. There are people who do care and this argument is for them. I know this would offend the socials (hence my nickname), but it still had to be said. Now grab your lollipops and stuffed animals and go play outside again, chop chop!

Wow. I've never seen someone take my half-assed comments quite as seriously as you just did right now. :lol:

Retired Forum Moderator

Wow. I've never seen someone take my half-assed comments quite as seriously as you just did right now. :lol:

Indeed.

Edit: you could download an MP4 version of FM from youtube, play it synchronized in both players and you should be able to notice it

Tried that, VLC was dropping frames like normal, MPC was playing perfectly. Same exact duration.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Hmm.. In my head it sounded a little more funny, in a doctor cox kinda way, but maybe I'm more annoyed than I think I am, because I'm a bit tired of this whole discussion myself actually.

Indeed.

Says you?

Tried that, VLC was dropping frames like normal, MPC was playing perfectly. Same exact duration.

Then explain how you're so sure that it's "dropping" frames. I've told you exactly how I'm testing, so you could check it yourself, but you're still expecting me to just take your word for it. Do you really think I will? Tell me how you know, because they don't have the same duration here.

When I start both synchronized, MPC clearly finishes the vid before VLC with a time difference that about matches the framerate difference, so the amount of frames they both display should be equal. Only the speed differences seems to be speed. I could show test results, but it's your turn this time, especially since you're the one claiming VLC is dropping frames.

I really want to end this whole discussion with some actual proof, so I can at least submit it to either VLC or MPC.

Indeed.

Says you?

Well I posted it didn't I?

Then explain how you're so sure that it's "dropping" frames.

I can visually see the black frames.

I've told you exactly how I'm testing, so you could check it yourself, but you're still expecting me to just take your word for it. Do you really think I will? Tell me how you know, because they don't have the same duration here.

I've tried testing it your way. Nothing different than I've been telling you all along, the programs can't find anything wrong. Doesn't change the fact that I can see the dropped frames.

When I start both synchronized, MPC clearly finishes the vid before VLC with a time difference that about matches the framerate difference, so the amount of frames they both display should be equal. Only the speed differences seems to be speed. I could show test results, but it's your turn this time, especially since you're the one claiming VLC is dropping frames.

Why? I stated my issues, and have no interest in wasting my time further by gathering more data concerning the phenomena. Not really that important to me to fix a problem with VLC when I prefer everything about MPC anyways.

I really want to end this whole discussion with some actual proof, so I can at least submit it to either VLC or MPC.

Why haven't you submitted your findings to the makers of MPC then? Kind of obvious that you're having a problem isn't it?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

That was the joke.

Dropped frames aren't black, that's a display driver problem. You should have known that.

And more vagueness and avoidance... it's obvious that I'm not going to get a decent answer from you, because let's be honest, you don't have it.

I guess know enough, you're full of shit like I expected from the start.

That was the joke.

Dropped frames aren't black, that's a display driver problem. You should have known that.

And more vagueness and avoidance... it's obvious that I'm not going to get a decent answer from you, because let's be honest, you don't have it.

Cmon guys, drop it, or make your own topic in miscellaneous or something... or go someplace else on the internetz. Or else I shall go tell my mumm- a mod, I mean, that you're being mean to each other.

Seriously, though, AF has been surprisingly spam- and haterfree (with perhaps the exception of Machinima rants) so far, let's not ruin that with arguments about which video player is better. You were at first trying to resolve it nicely, but now that you're both getting annoyed, it's time to face the truth and stop it. Thanks.

That was the joke.

This stops here. Take this discussion to PM's or another thread, please.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

He, he. By the tone of the last messages, maybe the vent thread :lol:

Well, anyway, chill out. It's not worth it. Go play some games instead. Have fun.

I bring you mortal danger and cookies. Not necessarily in that order.

http://www.youtube.com/jclc

This stops here. Take this discussion to PM's or another thread, please.
People can keep discussing the topic here, just don't resort to personal insults. If someone's wrong, you can explain why. Video formats are apparently a controversial topic, I'm trying to make sense of what's best myself.

Regarding my opinion on VLC player:

-Maybe 2-3 years ago I was using it and was obviously able to see some minor framerate drop on it when using MKV or MP4, I don't remember which format I was looking at. I remember the framerate drop being consistent and not only happening in certain situations. I didn't conduct any special tests on it to measure how much, I could just SEE it. I looked up the problem and tried every tweak available (determining GPU acceleration was on, making sure it wasn't hitting 100% cpu usage, etc.), nothing seemed to help. I ended up switching to MPC-HC with the right codecs installed and it fixed up the problem.

-When I was doing subtitle tests a couple years ago, VLC player gave very poor results regarding subtitles where more than one would appear during the same time chunk, it simply handled them incorrectly.

-I've recently upgraded to Windows 7 and now have a new copy of VLC player. It appears to be functioning better now. When I was on XP, it would lose audio sync after seeking in MOV versions of Freeman's Mind sent to Machinima. I don't remember which version of VLC player I was running at the time.

So now that I've updated VLC player seems to be behaving more and may not cause the huge problems it once did. I still need to do more testing with the formats.

I noticed the progress chart is gone :cry:. Eh... it had a good run.

Fare thee well, brave chart. You lit the darkness when all hope seemed lost. You kept our spirits high when videos there were none. Always showed us progress, when doubt plagued our souls. Of hope you where a beacon... and now, you're gone.

And now your back, bringing news that Windows 7 kicks ass. Wait... That's kicking Ross's ass... F*ck you, Windows 7. Cooperate.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I noticed the progress chart is gone :cry:. Eh... it had a good run.

Fare thee well, brave chart. You lit the darkness when all hope seemed lost. You kept our spirits high when videos there were none. Always showed us progress, when doubt plagued our souls. Of hope you where a beacon... and now, you're gone.

I miss it already.

Retired Forum Moderator

And now your back, bringing news that Windows 7 kicks ass. Wait... That's kicking Ross's ass... F*ck you, Windows 7. Cooperate.

You're right, the progress chart is back :D

th_windows7.png

And... what... Getting ass kicked by Windows 7? :o

Oh, boy... :|

Hey Ross, anything we can do to help? Are you having problems with some program in particular or is it a general FUBAR situation?

When I first installed Windows 7, I had great instability and numerous crashes for the first couple of days, until all the updates had been installed (I though I had done that the first day, with like 80 updates, but a couple of days later, out of the blue, windows reported around 117 updates available - including a full service pack... ).

I'm curious as to how windows 7 is kicking your ass. It's worked fine for me after I got all the drivers.

Retired Forum Moderator

He's probably referring to programs he's been using not functioning properly under Windows 7.

I have a cornucopia of specialized software that I use, some of which is not compatible with 7 or at least the 64 bit version.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."