Breaking News

Sign in to follow this  

"'Russia has just declassified news that will shake world gem markets to their core: the discovery of a vast new diamond field containing 'trillions of carats,' enough to supply global markets for another 3,000 years. The Soviets discovered the bonanza back in the 1970s beneath a 35-million-year-old, 62-mile diameter asteroid crater in eastern Siberia known as Popigai Astroblem. They decided to keep it secret, and not to exploit it, apparently because the USSR's huge diamond operations at Mirny, in Yakutia, were already producing immense profits in what was then a tightly controlled world market."

This is pretty big, and I wonder what else they are hiding.....

I guess that's what you get for being the biggest country on earth.

Can you provide the source of this, please?

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Found out about it because my brother hangs out on reddit, he gets these kind of news before they become mainstream, anyway here is a mainstream news source.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204566/Russia-diamonds-Source-Siberian-asteroid-crater-supply-world-markets-3-000-years.html

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Found out about it because my brother hangs out on reddit, he gets these kind of news before they become mainstream, anyway here is a mainstream news source.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2204566/Russia-diamonds-Source-Siberian-asteroid-crater-supply-world-markets-3-000-years.html

Thanks, I just read about it on other sites.. Makes you thin not only about what the russians are hiding, but everyone else...?

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Some terrible shooting seems to have happened in Colorado for the premiere of the new Batman film. :(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-18921492

Someone apparently took Bane way too literally. Damn.

That's what's funny about that whole thing. The dude walks in, hair painted red, not green, and when asked to confirm his identity he responds, "I'm the Joker"...and the Joker isn't even in TDKR. Hell, he's not even mentioned once.

On the topic of the actual shooting, terrible tragedy. The guy is obviously mentally disturbed, but that's still not a good excuse for someone who's being touted as 'top of their class' and 'extremely intelligent' in news articles. If he was so intelligent he wouldn't have condemned 12 people to death, and himself to a life of mental rehab and/or years of gangrape in prison showers.

But then again, there is no logic in insanity.

Jesus this may not be "breaking news" now but goddamn. when I woke up and saw this on the news I immediately grabbed my phone. Know why? my sister was going to go to that movie. I thought it was that night as well, She didn't respond for a while and I freaked out. however she was going to go the next night, and the reason she did not respond was due to the fact she was put on alert because she works on the Air Force base literally across the street from the theater. They had done a recall and as it turns out people assigned to that base were in fact hurt. My other sister also worked at the hospital that victims were taken to and my mom worked at another. my family always seems to be close to this kind of thing, my sisters knew one of the columbine gunmen as well.

What your not crazy too?

wow speaking of my family being in the middle of this kind of thing I just found out that my was in charge of the transport of the shack the unibomber holed up in when it was brought on his base.

What your not crazy too?

http://news.yahoo.com/mom-gets-99-years-prison-gluing-tots-hands-160458042.html

The crime itself isn't exactly breaking news, but it's the first I've heard about the whole situation. This woman clearly was not in her right mind and I don't know what she was thinking but she deserves her sentence.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Turns out the diamonds are industrial-type, not gemstones. No good for jewelry, so nobody may even bother trying to dig them up.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Who's the next American President?

I'm really out of the loop, seeing as I'm living in Germany and haven't made a point of looking at news sources.

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

I hear that every American election, 7-Eleven (the corner store chain) puts out red and blue slushee cups, and usually sales of these cups is relatively accurate at predicting the next President- Democrat or Repubby.

Obama is probably going to win. The US seems to be in a kind of Republican hating mood as of late, thanks to the Bush Administration, and fine gentlemen like Todd Akin and John Shimkus aren't helping their situation. There are people that will vote democrat no matter what, and there are people that will vote republican no matter what, which is why our elections are decided by single percentages, as only a few votes (those on the fence) 'really' count at the moment, and seeing how the Republicans have been getting a lot of bad publicity lately, I just don't see them winning the presidency this time.

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

If Ukraine could vote for the next american president I think it would be 90% Obama and 10 % Romney, and those 10 % would vote for Romney either because they are racists or got bribed, then when the elections would be over, as always in Ukraine only 5-10% will approve of the government anyway..

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

I've heard from a guy who's old enough to know, that politcal movements in the United States move in swings. About 40 year long pendelum swings where they go from Democrat to Republican and back again. It happened with Reagan, and then with Clinton, and now Obamer.

I've heard from a guy who's old enough to know, that politcal movements in the United States move in swings. About 40 year long pendelum swings where they go from Democrat to Republican and back again. It happened with Reagan, and then with Clinton, and now Obamer.

I heard the same thing from my young brother when he was 13. I think the formula was 2 successive terms republican then 1 democrat.

But I think it's finally about to be broken, Romney just isn't as "charismatic" as Bush and not as "wise" as Reagan. Just from my perspective I neither find Bush charismatic nor Reagan smart or wise.

Well from my standpoint within my faith it's between a rock and a hard place. Obama seems to be a Liberal Protestant (strays from Doctrine of Truth to relativism in support of individualistic freedoms rather than spiritual focus) and Romney is a Mormon (which most Christians deny is a denomination because they view Christ, the Father and the Spirit as three different Gods and therefore fractures as a heresy from the Nicene Creed, among other theological things).

But they're both guilty of trying to make Jesus a politician in some capacity or another. A stupid idea really, seeing as Jesus made a point of getting right back in the face of any politician that tried to talk him down at every turn.

"Jesus [as] a politician" is a figure of speech that means they think that 'God is on my side'. God is on his own side and expects us to side with him, not the other way around.

Just a quick little tidbit...

If you vote for Obama, you aren't Catholic. The Democrats right now support things (diametrically opposite to the standings of the Republicans) that violate too many of the Catholic churches precepts. A true Catholic cannot vote Democrat.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

A true Scotsman can't drink Guinness.

Personally I dislike Romney more than Obama, but ultimately I don't think things will get much better with either candidate.

As I have seen it illustrated, Obama will drive America off a cliff at 60 mph, and Romney will drive America off a cliff at 75 mph; but each with slightly different cars. So in a nutshell, yes, I feel we're in a "pick your poison" type of situation.

I think this decision is only tough for the Americans... sigh, I'll just leave this picture here:

_63592043_worldservicepoll_464_romney_embargoed_23102012.gif

I also loled at Pakistan.

And I guess Poland seems to have taken the Obama bad knowledge of polish history incident badly.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.