Freeman's Mind Episode 38 getting it's ass kicked by Windows

Sign in to follow this  

Why didn't you just go with Vista? 7 is incredibly bugged and broken.

Vista is a lot more reliable, especially with Steam games.

Not quite. I had Vista for a year before upgrading to 7 and it wasn't terrible, but I'm much happier with 7 over Vista, which didn't let some of my programs run as efficiently.

In relation to brightness, have you tried just adjusting the brightness on your monitor itself? Generally thats possible by using a button panel somewhere or another on the device, and monitors tend to hold brightness settings quite reliably.

I'm aware this may not work, my monitors barely reached an acceptable level at minimum brightness. There are probably monitors out there that don't have that, though I have seen it on an ancient CRT once.

Concussive maintenance? All modern technology can be fixed by hitting it.

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Error 338: Server shot with 12 gauge.

I thought a 12 gauge was Error 482. I think 338 is for an MP5.

Isn't 482 just an overarching code for unknown high impact weapons?

This is getting a bit off topic.

In relation to brightness, have you tried just adjusting the brightness on your monitor itself? Generally thats possible by using a button panel somewhere or another on the device, and monitors tend to hold brightness settings quite reliably.

I'm aware this may not work, my monitors barely reached an acceptable level at minimum brightness. There are probably monitors out there that don't have that, though I have seen it on an ancient CRT once.

That's basically what Windows color calibration helps you with, hence why I suggested it.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Isn't 482 just an overarching code for unknown high impact weapons?

This is getting a bit off topic.

So wait, there is a defferent kind of network error for every gun?

So error 777 would be the server getting hit with a crowbar. :)

So wait, there is a defferent kind of network error for every gun?

So error 777 would be the server getting hit with a crowbar. :)

I think 777 is crowbar, but it falls under the "tools" category and not weapons. Although hitting it with a crowbar may be Error 672: Server is undergoing high-level concussive maintenance.

Error 254: Discussion is off-topic, please contact your forum moderator.

Weird how people's experiences with the same software can be so wildly different. I haven't had a single issue with Window 7, not even with Doom 3...

Same here. Win7 x64, widescreen 1080p, AMD GPU... and Doom 3 runs beautifully. I did not even reinstall it after my OS drive died and took my XP install with it to the realms of digital netherworld, it worked just fine upon running the exe raw. This, ladies and gentlemen, is the beauty of not integrating software into the host system too deeply. That includes storing user data locally, as in, not in Users nor in the registry. Doom 3 does use a few registry keys for version identifying and such but all that is needless once the game is fully patched.

Windows 7 is certainly an improvement over Vista, but there are some things that irritate me (It still just isn't quite as fast as XP was) and the new taskbar irritates me to no end. The new features are nice and it looks great, but XP still holds a special place in my hard drive (sorry, I had to say it).

"I aim for the stars, but sometimes I hit London." - Wernher von Braun

Windows 7 is certainly an improvement over Vista, but there are some things that irritate me (It still just isn't quite as fast as XP was) and the new taskbar irritates me to no end. The new features are nice and it looks great, but XP still holds a special place in my hard drive (sorry, I had to say it).
I think there was plenty of room for improvement over XP, but I totally agree on the speed thing. Windows 7 feels smoother, but it also feels slower. Maybe it's how buffering for Aero works, I'm not sure, but I'm absolutely noticing some very minute input lag on some programs / maybe overall. For example, if I type an email, I can tell the difference compared to typing in XP. I'm sure it's only milliseconds, but at the speed I type, I'm noticing some very small input lag. It's a lot worse inside Adobe's programs, but that could just be Adobe.

I think there was plenty of room for improvement over XP, but I totally agree on the speed thing. Windows 7 feels smoother, but it also feels slower. Maybe it's how buffering for Aero works, I'm not sure, but I'm absolutely noticing some very minute input lag on some programs / maybe overall. For example, if I type an email, I can tell the difference compared to typing in XP. I'm sure it's only milliseconds, but at the speed I type, I'm noticing some very small input lag. It's a lot worse inside Adobe's programs, but that could just be Adobe.

I think it may help for you to utilize ReadyBoost... You just need some kind of USB jump drive, like a 2GB USB memory stick. Seems to speed up certain things that don't seem like they'd be affected by it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

That would make sense if it was accessing my hard drive like crazy, but I have 6GB of RAM and it's not even breaking 2.5GB most of the time. It still doesn't explain why I'm having input lag when typing emails in Gmail now.

Say Ross, I have a couple programs that may or may not fix some of your problems.

The first is F.lux. It automatically adjusts your screen color "warmth" depending on the time of day. Even if it doesn't fix your problem, I've found it very useful for not burning my eyeballs out for late-night work/gaming. There's also an option to disable it if you need to do color-specific work. http://stereopsis.com/flux/

The second is Secunia PSI. It automatically downloads patches for nearly ALL programs on your PC and even notifies you when programs are out of date and have no available patch. Think Steam's auto updater, but for basically any program. It also increased your PC's security level due to huge security holes that out of date programs present. http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/

The third is Everything. In a nutshell, if you want to search your PC for a specific file or folder, you simply type it into the search bar and the results pop up near-instantaneously. I've used it over 7's default search utility for some time now due to its speed. http://www.voidtools.com/

Greenshot is a great program for taking screenshots, as you can set where the shots are saved (or automatically opened in a specific program). http://getgreenshot.org/

Paint.net, as you may or may not know, is basically an upgraded version of MSPaint. http://www.getpaint.net/

Looking over all of the different programs you said you were using brought these ones to mind. I hope at least one of these help.