Freeman's Mind Episode 38 getting it's ass kicked by Windows

Sign in to follow this  

That would make sense if it was accessing my hard drive like crazy, but I have 6GB of RAM and it's not even breaking 2.5GB most of the time. It still doesn't explain why I'm having input lag when typing emails in Gmail now.

Same here, but for some odd reason I've found it to reduce input lag a bit, as well as reduce response time in certain programs. Maybe it only does it for me... Don't ask me why it would, it just does it.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

I think there was plenty of room for improvement over XP, but I totally agree on the speed thing. Windows 7 feels smoother, but it also feels slower. Maybe it's how buffering for Aero works, I'm not sure, but I'm absolutely noticing some very minute input lag on some programs / maybe overall. For example, if I type an email, I can tell the difference compared to typing in XP. I'm sure it's only milliseconds, but at the speed I type, I'm noticing some very small input lag. It's a lot worse inside Adobe's programs, but that could just be Adobe.

I think it may help for you to utilize ReadyBoost... You just need some kind of USB jump drive, like a 2GB USB memory stick. Seems to speed up certain things that don't seem like they'd be affected by it.

Hang on.. what are your actual virtual memory settings, before we advise you all sorts of programs? :|

Just shout "I am Captain Gordon Freeman of the intergalactic house of pancakes ordering you to work!" at everything! It worked on the door in episode 4. :lol:

Well I don't know about the Adobe programs, but I solved the input lag problem I was having in Gmail. By disabling hardware acceleration everything seems much faster now.

Yeah, it reminds me of the old days where with the S3 virge it was a "3d decelerator" because it actually ran slower than software because of the extra features hardware 3D was using. I doubt my card is holding the operation up, but maybe something about the programming is.

By disabling hardware acceleration everything seems much faster now.

Irony?

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

Whoa whoa whoa! 7 has way less bugs then vista. Vista has lots of holes in it's system. I agree with Alyxx it is the other was around.

Um about my last post i didn't realize there were 3 pages to this subject... But i was talking about what Flarekitsu said about vista being better then 7.

I'll have to convert all my HuffyUV footage that I need to access over to Lagarith. However this is kind of a big deal because that's going to take up a substantial portion of space that I don't have at the moment because I'm still organizing my old files, which adds to the time there.

I don't know how fast your internet connection is. But would it help to have some TB of online storage or some aid in converting the material ?

And here I thought I was finally starting to understand computer speak..., oh well, and a little off to[pic here but I've never understood why ross had trouble filming freeman's mind, I've used the same cheats he uses to add a sense of realism while I play and never encountered those issues.

Youtubers are surprisingly quiet about the time ep 38 has taken. But I only checked out the first few pages of the ep 37 video so I may be wrong. Also, ep 37 has an impressive likes vs dislikes ratio, over 100.

I'm looking forward to the next episode. It would be nice to have it before next Thursday, because these days I am all nerves about starting in university.

You'll be fine, Bjossi. If Icelandic university is anything like our American versions, you'll have a lot more fun than you did in grammar schools or secondary schools or high school or whatever you call them in Iceland.

In any event, it's good to hear that things are looking up in Ross's battle against Windows 7. I wish I could have helped, but I know about as much about programming as I do about lacrosse--that is, nothing.

It is amazing that Youtubers are being silent about this time, though. It bothers me how much people shout at creators on the internet, whether they be webcomic artists or makers of things like Freeman's Mind to make more and faster and faster. Ross owes us nothing. He doesn't have to do this. He does it because he wants to. We should be more grateful than we are.

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

I have the solution for nVidia Control Panel not remembering settings under Win7.

I've had settings not being remembered on different PCs:

• Dual monitor positioning at home

• Unsupported refresh rate at home

• Dual monitor resolution at work

• Other various niggles

My home GFX was an 8800GS, and at work I have an 8600. With your's being a 9800, I think it may be an issue with the G92 chip...

Anyway, the solution is to remove the monitor detect pin from your cable. I know it sounds drastic and like it has nothing to do with the issue, but give it a try. You'll be AMAZED when it works. All my display problems cleared up when I did it.

Here's the correct pin(s) for DVI & VGA:

2pq4yee.jpg

Either be careful, or do it on an extension cable or an adaptor!

Apparently no more asskicking going on. Ross has emerged victorious!!

*Final Fantasy VII victory theme plays*

Not entirely true. I'm still kind of frustrated the dearth of GUI customization software compared to XP, plus only DAYS ago did that Nvidia color problem get fixed, it was driving me crazy having to adjust that on every bootup. It WAS a problem with their drivers. I read on some forum posts that several versions ago this problem didn't exist, then it got added in, and for the next six releases, it was still present. Their newest beta drivers (NOT the WHQL ones) fix the problem though.