Rate the Last Movie you saw.

Prisoners.

Well I just wanted to distract myself, so I just wanted to watch a movie that would pull me into it's world and spit me back out when the credits roll..... I don't know why I chose Prisoners. Damn this movie left me with just a damn depressed feeling. But in all the right ways. I know now why it was on my must watch list, it's a great movie. Hugh Jackman being stupid talented as an actor once again. A very good thriller, the atmosphere is hauntingly tense at times.

I definitely recommend this one, but you better be ready to just get real depressed. No lightheartedness here.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

So I saw this review for Suicide Squad and it wasn't very positive. While my concerns about Suicide Squad being too similar to Guardians of The Galaxy were put to rest as the review points out there are other problems with it. I'm not an expert when it comes to film but I think I'll pass.

yL7UStivFHY

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

Solomon Kane - 7/10

A lot of clichés, I managed to guess half of the plot. Also had the same problem that a lot of more modern movies have, where the action scenes are cut in a way that you're not even sure what's going on, sometimes with unnecessary slow-mo and crappy camera angles. Still a very fun movie with a cool hero, good story and some great scenes.

I saw Suicide Squad the day it came out and it got 4 Joker laughs out of 5

and the other day: Hitman: Agent 47 and it got a 2 and a half AMT Hardballer .45s out of 5

“Error 482: Somebody shot the server with a 12-gauge. Please contact your administrator”

“Caution Laser Caution Laser Caution Laser”

“I can now solve up to 800 problems a minute”

"I got my degree under the tutelage of Dr. Pepper."

Randomly started watching a movie I found on TV - An American Werewolf In London.

Honestly, best 80's film I've ever watched. Fucking hilarious. One of those 'the main character doesn't win' films.

8/10, just glorious.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

Randomly started watching a movie I found on TV - An American Werewolf In London.

Honestly, best 80's film I've ever watched. Fucking hilarious. One of those 'the main character doesn't win' films.

8/10, just glorious.

Of course the American Werewolf doesn't win, London's got the greatest wizard of all time: Albus Dumbledore.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Haven't watched a movie in a while, and what "better" door to put my foot back in than the Roman doors of Caligula (It's a long time coming. Tried watching it 3 years ago, it freaked the hell out of me). If you could look past the violence and the Roman fuckfest, It's actually really interesting historical drama of one of Rome's most fucked-up Emperor.

8/10

Welp, now what?

Money Monster (2016) - 5/10

Acting and cinematography were great, but story and writing sucked. Too bad really, I think the premise was good and could have been a bit like a Die Hard in a TV studio, where halfway through you find out that the villain is actually the good guy.

Akira gets 3.5 capsules out of 4

Clearly a "see multiple times to fully grasp it" movie. I didn't see Tetsuo, no I saw Tai Kamiya/Joshua Seth. Never let Joshua Seth laugh. So creepy.

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Sully

Its a decent film in terms of production value, but it feels very short and for anyone who was actually alive and aware of what happened at the time (which wasn't that long ago at all), you can guess the entire plot. There isn't much tension since I knew what was going to happen, and ultimately nothing comes of everything I didn't know about that the film shows.

I will say though the closing line gave me a good laugh.

I give it a rating of "average".

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus

The Purge: Election Year

I see so many people salty and mad like; "This would never happen. There's not enough lunatics for this to happen." But why don't people say the same to an alien invasion? "This wouldn't happen, because this, this and this, etc." They're both super unlikely, but only one movie is being complained about. :\ I loved this movie. So creepy and brutal. XD Shouldn't be seen as 'realistic' IMO, just something fun and enjoyable to watch, because THAT'S WHAT MOVIES ARE FOR. STOP BEING SO MAD.

Anyway, 8/10, loved it.

"Ross, this is nothing. WHAT YOU NEED to be playing is S***flinger 5000." - Ross Scott talking about himself.

-------

PM me if you have any questions or concerns! :D

The Purge: Election Year

I see so many people salty and mad like; "This would never happen. There's not enough lunatics for this to happen." But why don't people say the same to an alien invasion? "This wouldn't happen, because this, this and this, etc." They're both super unlikely, but only one movie is being complained about. :\ I loved this movie. So creepy and brutal. XD Shouldn't be seen as 'realistic' IMO, just something fun and enjoyable to watch, because THAT'S WHAT MOVIES ARE FOR. STOP BEING SO MAD.

Anyway, 8/10, loved it.

I think people get pissed at The Purge (gods know I got pissed at the first film in the series) is because unlike a lot of horror films, this series tries to take place in some fairly close semblance of reality. Thing is, the film deals with a lot of concepts that make zero sense within the very reality they try to create. Causing basically a dissonance between where and when fantasy applies and when reality applies.

Just talking from my experience from watching what I did of the first film, I could count maybe half a dozen plot holes that completely killed my suspension of disbelief. Because they were all moments that didn't jive with everything else they'd established throughout. The main character is supposed to be some big security expert, what security expert has their own house's power tied to the local grid, and not private, in-house generators with enough juice to last 12 hours if necessary? I know smarter preppers in reality than a security expert who probably has more money than most of them, and has to plan for a scheduled night of complete mayhem and violent lunatics possibly breaking into his family's house, not an apocalypse scenario with an uncertain date like many of them do. That's just one case.

Obviously, not everyone is going to think so hard about particular films and their plots or concepts because some are easier for people to go along with than others, but if a film does make you think and notice its glaring plot-holes, it becomes extremely hard to put them aside. (The new Godzilla film was another I got bored out of mind with after the first third of the film and had tons of moments that made zero sense to me even within the reality the film itself tried to create.)

This becomes even harder when you have a film or story that is basically trying to take place in a reality not all that different from ours. Because then people are more inclined to think in terms of reality, and not in terms of whatever fantasy is being constructed.

That's just what I think on why people get pissed at films like The Purge series.

Vae Victus-Brennus

That and CollegeHumor actually came up with several flaws in the Purge idea. Of course, the Purge is supposed to be for people to run amok and kill and rape without legal consequence, but if all crime was legalized for that period, what happens to things that last beyond the Purge? Like multiple-person marriage? If a man marries six women during the Purge, is that marriage considered legal after the Purge ends? The Purge is not even internally consistent, IMHO.

That and CollegeHumor actually came up with several flaws in the Purge idea. Of course, the Purge is supposed to be for people to run amok and kill and rape without legal consequence, but if all crime was legalized for that period, what happens to things that last beyond the Purge? Like multiple-person marriage? If a man marries six women during the Purge, is that marriage considered legal after the Purge ends? The Purge is not even internally consistent, IMHO.

Me and a bunch of other commentors in Nostalgia Critic's review of the first film actually had fun asking if you had a whole night where all crime was legal, what would you do? Most people, including me, wondered why there weren't more thieves in the Purge Universe. Just get a few big trucks, maybe 20 people, drive around from house to house or store to store, break in, and clean the whole place out. Nobody can arrest you since all crime is legal until sunrise, and then you can just sell all the stuff and split the shares. Heck, I've seen professionally coordinated thieves clean out a whole laptop store in less than 30 seconds, imagine what they could do if they had a whole night where they could steal anything without consequence (now, anyone could shoot them without consequence, but then that's the risk).

But yeah, I saw a bunch of others, like fulfilling a whole bunch of sexually deviant acts that aren't rape that also aren't legal under normal circumstances in a lot of places, street racing, huge drug fuelled parties, cyber-crime on massive scales, heists, or even just big brawls between people or parties that want to. The sky is the limit in terms of your imagination of what you could do on a night where everything is legal.

But apparently everyone just wants to violently settle petty grudges or kill because they're all secretly psychopaths with talents for murder. Really is wasted potential of a concept in some respects.

Vae Victus-Brennus

I saw Suicide Squad a couple of days ago. I rather enjoyed it, the first hour or so most of all. The stylistic introduction of the characters was one of the better paced parts of the film, strangely all the action and culmination felt a little rushed to me. I was even pleasantly surprised Jared Leto's interpretation of the Joker, rendering him a more decadent and reminiscent of what happens when a powerful individual is able to subvert equality and social taboos. A superhero film with some personality and a less muted colour palette was what the genre sorely needed.

7/10

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Whenever I go to see a movie that turns out to be quite sad, I make an effort to hold back my tears because I don't like crying in public.

I just went to go see A Monster Calls with my family

I couldn't hold back my tears

10/10

the name's riley

Ethel & Ernest: The animated film adaptation of Raymond Briggs dramatisation of his parents life and his own childhood, Briggs of course being the man responsible iconic books (and their extremely well known animated adaptations) The Snowman and Father Christmas. It's one of the most unpretentious and unashamedly nostalgic films I've ever seen, the characterisation of his parents was marvellously innocent yet grounded in the often sad circumstances they found themselves. There's something extremely novel about seeing a pre- and post-war English biography as a cartoon. Moved me quite deeply in several scenes, particularly the heartbreaking descent into dementia his mother suffers from in her twilight years.

9/10

When close friends speak ill of close friends

they pass their abuse from ear to ear

in dying whispers -

even now, when prayers are no longer prayed.

What sounds like violent coughing

turns out to be laughter.

Shuntarō Tanikawa

Star Wars: Rogue One

I don't care what anyone says, this is possibly my most favorite Star Wars movie now. 10/10 would do nothing different.

Retired Forum Moderator

Star Wars: Rogue One

I don't care what anyone says, this is possibly my most favorite Star Wars movie now. 10/10 would do nothing different.

I'm really hesitant to go see it. What I've been hearing is it's a good movie for fans. I hate it when anyone goes out of their way to make a movie specifically for fans rather than movie from their vision. Fans aren't interested in improving the medium as a whole so they'll like whatever they like. It's why I don't like fans as there aren't any distinctions amongst their individual tastes. People know how to please fans and I'd rather watch something that's good on it's own merits. I don't think a movie designed from the ground up to serve the fans is capable of doing that.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.