Rate the Last Movie you saw.

Jason & The Argonauts, the classic 1963 version with all the stop motion animation.

So, this is one of those many movies from my childhood that I occasionally saw fragments of while the person with the remote was channel surfing, and never knew what it was. For some reason, this movie in particular really offended my Dad, he wouldn't watch more than five seconds of it or even answer what it was. Having seen it as an adult, I still can't tell what his problem was.

The first thing that really struck me about this film was the sound design. The harpy's claws scratching against the marble, bone men clattering throughout the fight, Talos creaking and grinding as he stumbled around the island like a giant asshole, all of it was great and helped sell the special effects. Speaking of which, I think even from a modern perspective, the special effects were...convincing enough. They didn't look lifelike, obviously, but they matched the props and backdrop well enough that your imagination didn't have to do much legwork to accept that moving brown shape as an angry bronze statue. I loved the little flair they added where Talos impatiently juggled the sword back and forth between his hands.

The music--I had forgotten how loud they liked to pipe in music back then, sometimes blaring for several minutes of continuity while the camera did nothing. I guess the guy composing the score had more power to showcase his music, or maybe that music was considered a more prominent storytelling device and they were hoping to set the mood with those interludes. This was the heydey of musicals, after all. Anyways, the music is fairly standard mid-century grandiose brass and percussion blare, with the occasional night of the woodwinds.

The acting was pretty corny and its a laugh to hear this mythical Greek hero talk like a Chicago gangster (almost as much fun as when it comes up in English dubbed kung-fu)--the only things that stand out as convincing are Phineas, the blind prophet, Hercules and the infectious camaraderie he seemed to inspire in the cast, and the fight scenes. Even though the fight scenes are your typical swashbuckler fare, I actually kind of like the way these performers seemed genuinely concerned about the enemy's weapons and appropriately desperate not to be hit. It gives the fights a kind of "security cam footage" sincerity that made them more tense and gripping to watch. I'll still enjoy a really intricate martial arts sequence with an unstoppable hero any day of the week, but I appreciate that as a standalone display of art, not a climactic plot element.

Another thing I appreciated: The actors were willing to speak up and speak clearly. This latter day trend of whisper whisper METAL SCREEEEEEAM really needs to stop.

And then there was the ending. I guess movie goers were more tolerant back in the day after having grown up on radio serials but damn, to me that ending just sucks. I think a mobile game Paywall that advertised the Full Story Package for sale for 9.99 would have been less jarring.

So all in all, a nice adventure film. 7/10

Her gets 3 creepy, but interesting, relationships with OSes out of 4. Basically this:

t7-BX4bWYvg

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Interstellar 8/10

It was good, and interesting, but not quite what I was hoping for.

First time I've seen Matt Damon as a bad guy, so that's always interesting.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Man of Feel Steel

7.8/10

It was enjoyable though and certainly better than the last attempts at modern superman movies.

Retired Forum Moderator

Special Edition of Alien 3 from the Anthology Blu-Ray set

Much improved over the theatrical cut. I'm really torn on their production design because it's high quality but so brown/grey and bland especially compared to the masterpiece first movie which had a lot of blues and gold details to fill out the air conditioner wall greebling.

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

Dead Snow 2: Red vs. Dead

Sequel to the first movie, where a group of friends go camping all alone and then get slaughtered by Nazi Zombies! In this one, the only survivor of the massacre gets back to civilization- but the Zombies follow him. He also has a possessed arm now which keeps killing people against his will.

Very enjoyable horror-comedy, costumes are AMAZING, effects are great and lots of blood and gore!

The comedy felt a bit cheap sometimes and there is some really dark humour in there (little kids getting run over by a tank, etc.), still I had a great time while watching.

I give this movie 60/72

Mockingjay Part 1.

Having not been interested in the Hunger Games franchise for the same reasons as Game Of Thrones, I was told about what THG was about, and that got me interested enough to watch the films thus far.

And I have to say I kinda like it! Some really good concepts behind it.

8/10

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

Spy was as good as a cheesy comedy can be, and it hits the nail on the head in being what it wants to be, which is a comedy about spy games. That said, 6/10.

Jurassic World, not sure how to rate this one... I guess a 7/10? It was an entertaining popcorn flick but had too many modern cliche's going for it and plot holes/problems that exist only because the characters are kind of really stupid.

I saw Boyhood. I cannot give it a rating because it wasnt really a movie, it was an experience. I recognized myself in almost everything (some things really hit way too close to home). Overall, I really liked it.

Also saw:

Fargo: 7/10. Just what you would expect from a Coen movie, it was entertaining.

Moon: 6/10. Im a big fan of practical effects and sci-fi so this was nice.

Interstellar: 3/10. If I were to share my thoughts on this, it would become a novel. I didnt like it. I did LOVE the practical effects, scenery and models. I also enjoyed the 0.2 seconds of shots in space.

Requiem for a dream: 8/10.

Apocalypse Now: 10/10.

"Life sucks sober!"

Self/less

8/10 Solid movie, good actors and entertaining stories. Picked up on some things through it (the ending I knew was gonna happen :P ) and was taken by surprise in other parts.

Retired Forum Moderator

Die Hard 4.0

50/75

First time I saw it it didn't like the movie, but after watching it again I have to say that it is a badass action movie, although it doesn't really work so well as a Die Hard movie. I like all the hacking stuff, it really makes you realize how much we depend on computers in our everyday life.

Saw Pixar's "Inside Out" yesterday.

3.5/4

I docked it from perfect for two sequences:

First, when they took the "shortcut" and Joy, Sadness and Bing Bong began "regressing" down to a 2D line. The entire sequence was extremely dumb for me and could've been removed.

The other sequence, which was even worse, was near the end. Joy gets the idea to use a trampoline to fling herself to grab Sadness and fly back to Headquarters. So, she uses Bing Bong's magic bag and fills it with clones of Riley's fantasy boyfriend, then empties the bag and creates a tower of boyfriend clones to build up momentum to hit the trampoline. Just... no...

If they had changed those two sequences to nearly ANYTHING different, it would've been the perfect animated movie.

Just watched Minions last Saturday, and most scenes made me laugh lol.. especially that Egypt scene. Pharaoh says something which ends with Anubis.... then.... one Minion said: "TARA TROPA!!!!!"

Looks like they speak every language especially Filipino XD

AAAAAAA Yourself!!!

Just watched Minions last Saturday, and most scenes made me laugh lol.. especially that Egypt scene. Pharaoh says something which ends with Anubis.... then.... one Minion said: "TARA TROPA!!!!!"

Looks like they speak every language especially Filipino XD

Don't tell me you got the collectables from McDonalds after that! jk. Yeah, i also heard about the "tara tropa" thing, though i'm not convinced

OT: This is more of a short movie, but this movie I last watched is Cinemaphobia by James Rolfe (or the Angry Video Game Nerd). For a B-movie, I like the story, The acting's okay. I think this is worth watching again.

Welp, now what?

Well, i'm 6:06 minutes into Hick.

and i'm giving it 6/10 stars so far.

kOSE8iIK3xo

The Penguins of Madagascar

I give it a 9.5/10... Quite stupid in many ways, but good nevertheless.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Antman. 8/10

Never thought there'd ever be an Antman movie, let alone one that was well made and fun to watch. Only thing preventing me from giving it a perfect score is there was just a few too many scientific continuity errors for my liking. Other than that the humor was good, the fight sequences were good and in the overall it was just plain fun. I also really like the suits design.

Retired Forum Moderator

Ant-Man

8/10

Never thought there'd ever be an Antman movie, let alone one that was well made and fun to watch. Only thing preventing me from giving it a perfect score is there was just a few too many scientific continuity errors for my liking. Other than that the humor was good, the fight sequences were good and in the overall it was just plain fun. I also really like the suits design.

pretty much this

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

the name's riley

Two films:

1) 'This Changes Everything'. 6/10. A documentary about oil and global warming. It didn't really say much about "this is what will happen if we keep burning fossil fuels!", more of a "This is what's being done to access and use fossil fuels, and this is what is happening to because of it", based more on people than the environment. It was rather depressing to see the attitudes held by some. Like this guy who said "if you want to help the elephants, market their ivory." /facepalm

2) The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 2. 7/10. Pretty dece', though I called most of the twists. I guess I should go read the books and see what was left out, as is the way with Book-to-film adaptations.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR