Rate the Last Movie you saw.

Body Parts

41NHHABWHHL._SY445_.jpg

Great movie, always a joy to see Jeff Fahey from this period even if his movie choices were a bit on the weird side with this and The Lawnmower Man. I do wonder if this movie at all inspired MGS though given the similar premises between this and Liquid Snake taking over someone's mind when they take his arm...

8/10

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Sonatine 1993

jso0143k_l.png

I'm going through a Japanese movie phase lately and I ended up seeing this one more than twice. If a story makes you feel bad for a main character who clearly isn't a good guy, then you know it's good.

Comparing it with the rest of Kitano's work, this one is low budget and the editing is minimal but I still give it a 9/10.

Saw "Solo: A Star Wars Story". I have to say that it's my favorite Star Wars movie outside of the original trilogy. While I think the following scene went on for a little too long, I can't really find too much to complain about:

The sequence where they were stealing the hyperfuel from the train went on for a bit too long and I was starting to get irritated that the sequence just kept going. I think it could've been trimmed to be half of its current running time and still have been spectacular.

All in all, a solid movie and I rate it 4 Wookiees out of 5.

Deadpool 2

I give it a 9 out of 10.

"I never cared about justice, and I don't recall ever calling myself a hero... I have always only fought for the people I believe in. I won't hesitate... If an enemy appears in front of me, I will destroy it!"

– Zero, Mega Man Zero 4

The Incredibles 2

Gets about a 7/10

What I liked about the movie:

Great action scenes

Very good animation

Lots of humor

What I disliked about the movie

The Underminer escapes at the beginning of the film and is never even mentioned again

The main villlian was very lame. Especially compared to Syndrome (or the Underminer)

The 'stay at home dad' story arc of Mr. Incredible

The new superheroes all sucked, and had ugly designs.

The obvious (and very forced) feminist agenda

Way too much screen time devoted to Jak-Jak

It came out a decade too late

While this was overall an enjoyable movie, it was very disappointing.

And why the FUCK did it take 13 years to come out?

The Incredibles 2

Gets about a 7/10

What I liked about the movie:

Great action scenes

Very good animation

Lots of humor

What I disliked about the movie

The Underminer escapes at the beginning of the film and is never even mentioned again

The main villlian was very lame. Especially compared to Syndrome (or the Underminer)

The 'stay at home dad' story arc of Mr. Incredible

The new superheroes all sucked, and had ugly designs.

The obvious (and very forced) feminist agenda

Way too much screen time devoted to Jak-Jak

It came out a decade too late

While this was overall an enjoyable movie, it was very disappointing.

And why the FUCK did it take 13 years to come out?

1) The Underminer was meant to (despite the quite extreme damage done) be a minor villain that acted to set up the plot and remind the audience where the first movie left off, he was effectively a plot device. Next to nothing is known about his character considering literally all he did was rob a bank in a ridiculous and elaborate way. To say he should've been expanded on further is missing the point, and going as far to say that he was a better villain than the Screenslaver is outright wrong. As far as Syndrome goes? Syndrome is my favorite Pixar villain and I will say this is mostly preference, but why was Syndrome a serial killer? What purpose did that serve to the plot? Death was much more integral to the motivations of the Screenslaver and she DIDN'T have outright murderous intent. Syndrome would've been just as interesting a villain if not more so had he not just been a literal serial killer. Like, Syndrome's childhood hero rejected his help because he's a reliability, and so he decides to go on a killing spree? What sense does that make? The Screenslaver was a much more clear-cut and sensical villain, even if she wasn't as interesting as Syndrome.

2) You're missing the point of the film if you think Bob taking on fatherly duties and Jack-Jack being too present is a "negative" of the film, in fact you're missing the point of the first film as well. The first film had Bob suffering a midlife crisis in wanting to return to his glory days, and the first film had him dealing with that by returning to his hero work in secret. The SECOND film had him dealing with it by forcing him to confront the responsibilities of fatherhood. The implication is that the direction has matured with the audience, Bob is dealing with the stresses of parenthood alone which is a struggle that lots of adult viewers who watched the original at a young age can relate to or at least sympathize with, the stress of having a baby around is one that most people can identify with and is perfectly represented by having him, well, all over the place.

3) Yes, the supporting heroes do have very plain designs, that's the point. They're supposed to feel ordinary. Personally, I loved Void despite her kind of plain character design because she has a lot of personality and she's really relatable as a character.

4) Okay, this is just where things get fucking weird, what "obvious forced feminist agenda"? Are you talking about the fact that the main hero and main villain were both female? There were a FEW political statements but there was nothing in the way of a "feminist agenda". Literally, what did you mean by this? I'm honestly fucking dumbfounded.

If you don't like the movie, that's fine. If you think the original was better, that's fine. But I think you're looking for criticisms that aren't there.

the name's riley

1) ok, maybe I was a bit excessive saying that the underminer was better than screenslaver, but I would have at least liked him to not just vanish and been forgotten about. I would have liked him to have a motive outside of just robbing a bank as well. Syndrome's motivations were to kill off the supers so he could sell his inventions to give everyone the opportunity to be a hero. Also to improve the omnidroid until only he can stop it. Screenslaver's motivations were just to trick people into thinking supers are evil through hypnosis. (I will admit: hypnotism through screens was really cool. Just imagine what level of online trolling you could pull off with a hypnosis gif.)

2) I should have worded myself differently. I didn't have a problem with it being there in general, but it felt like it took up way too much of the movie.

3) I think the main problem with their designs were that they were too "modern" looking. It didnt really fit with the 60's time period the movie takes place in

4) There were multiple times in the movie where they said things along the lines of "women are always inventing things that men take the credit for." And other modern day feminist ideologies. Reading your posts from the 'American politics ' thread, I know that you would probably agree with these ideologies. I don't, however so that creates a problem for me.

Ok, I'll admit that I made that post late at night, so some things I said may have seemed a bit odd. Despite the large list of problems I had with the film, It was still very good! I think I should have stressed that more in my post. I don't want to turn this into a neverending argument like the general American politics thread, so lets just agree to disagree.

What did you think of the Incredibles 2?

Pokémon: Detective Pikachu

7/10

It was good and (usually) looked fantastic, but didn't have the greatest grasp on the franchise lore and the plot is interesting but uninspiring. Nothing someone without anything better to do couldn't figure out far before the characters do. Also what is up with like all the text in the film?

Long-form short-form review:

Spoiler

I liked it, it was enjoyable in theaters and even at home if you have a big enough TV you could probably get a similar experience. JS was perfectly fine, he convincingly pretended a 15 pound weight was places it wasn't and I could easily imagine Tim as a living, breathing human being. RR was okay. The love plot was forced, but come on, every movie that doesn't make the love plot its main focus is going to have it be forced and rushed in order to fit it into about an hour and a half's running time. Nobody could decide if the word "Pokémon" was pronounced Pokey-mon or Poke-a-mon (it's actually Po-kay-mon, but the latter is a lot closer than the former and doesn't take 3 years to say), which considering this is in the end a fantasy film you'd expect the actors would be primed to learn some words they don't know. And speaking of, who told them about France? Shouldn't it be Kalos? It definitely takes place in at least a very close approximation of the games' universe—in the intro, Red from Red and Green shows up to illustrate battling. It didn't have any unexpected, mind blowing revelations, you pretty much know what you're getting going into it. The CG was good enough to really sell me... most of the time. Looking at you, Charmander and Doduo. Dumb fun, mostly sells you on the Pokémon version of Earth, but nothing too mind-blowing. I guess I'm a little biased since I would love to live there. It beats this place, for sure. Especially if I could live there as a Pokémon. I'd choose to be a squirtle if I had the choice.

Also, why is everything written in a faux-katakana style? Ryme City as far as I can tell isn't even particularly Japanese, I could at least understand it if it was, say, an adaptation of Red and Green—Kanto is pretty much directly ripped from... well, Kanto, so even if I think it seems like it would be a little insensitive it would make some kind of logic. RC reminds me more of New York. I don't understand it.

Edited by rokken (see edit history)

John Wick 3 5/10

The fights and coreography are well done and interesting... to a point.

BUT they also go on so long that I get bored. The story really isn't that interesting. There are no stakes. Kinda felt the same way about 1 and 2. And the ending sucks, because it's not an ending. I predict that in 10 years theaters will just hire people to come jerk audience members off so that they can feel anything at all.

Avengers: Endgame

7/10

Enjoyable, but bland by comparison to other MCU movies. Do not like the lack of end credits scene setting up a new story.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

3 hours ago, BTGBullseye said:

Avengers: Endgame

7/10

Enjoyable, but bland by comparison to other MCU movies. Do not like the lack of end credits scene setting up a new story.

Huh, it's almost like Endgame was the end of a huge ass story arc or something, and had no need to setup the next arc (which Far From Home does).

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

Still deserved SOMETHING... I mean, the first Avengers movie had them just sitting and eating for 10 seconds as an after-credits scene...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Which, mind you, was added in the very very last second. Also, if you really want something, Marvel did a re-release, where they did include a tribute to Stan Lee, and a deleted scene.

I saw Midsommar

It felt like the story cuts off half-way. There's no fighting back, no sweet, sweet justice on the Cult, no massive conflict. Which was the point, sure, but I'm tired of that stuff. I want the characters to make basic changes and go through a basic arc. They don't need to be perfect, but just team up, be better, then set the stupid cult on fire and kill them all.

Still a beautiful movie, though. 

Edited by Eshanas (see edit history)

12 hours ago, Eshanas said:

then set the stupid cult on fire and kill them all

Holiday, by Isabella Eklof.

13YvKsUDYFgDLvrHmgeqESQ.jpeg

I got to the end of that movie feeling like I'd been beaten up - for about an hour or more afterwards I had no feelings of joy or happiness in any part of my being. I would rather watch Schindler's List 1000 times than this movie again. At least in SL, there is a degree of hope, redemption, an eventual faith in the good of humanity. There is *none* in this film, just bleak, awful violence and misogyny. 

Spoiler

Do NOT watch this if you have a sexual violence trigger. I don't have a trigger, but by christ was I traumatised.

But, it was brilliantly constructed and just about achieves what it was meant to do. 8/10

Recommendation: only watch if you hate positive feelings, 

Spoiler

and have the emotional strength to deal with watching a fully uncensored r-p- sequence. I'm still trying to process it while typing this, 24 hours later. I feel sick.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR

^-----  'Holiday', by Isabella Eklof. Grim, grim reality of drug-dealing families and their trophy girlfriends.

Also may be watching One Upon A Time In Hollywood next week, will update you afterwards.

I USED TO DREAM ABOUT NUCLEAR WAR