FREEMAN'S MIND: EPISODE 33

Download 672x384 WMV (86MB)

Freeman's Mind continues with a new episode. I'm mostly happy with this one, though it becomes difficult for me to tell what's good or not the more of these I do. I'll continue to update the progress chart, though I may forget some days.

This episode got delayed for release more than most. This is part of the reason I never like to give release dates, I never know them myself. Machinima.com works in mysterious ways. The progress chart on the right will tell you at least what's been completed.

The brightness / contrast levels seem to be off in this episode on the Youtube version. The downloadable copy will have the original game light levels once it goes up. Also the resolution is being reported at 1280x720 on youtube, which is incorrect. I was told to submit it at 640x360 for Youtube. The original footage is now recorded at 848x480. Going to HD resolution really isn't worth the slowdown in processing for me for Freeman's Mind, since this is just Half-Life, there's not much to show off visually. I plan on releasing copies of all the videos at original resolution and with higher quality codecs/formats in the future, it's just something I haven't gotten around to yet. That and some people appreciate smaller copies to download. So the current 672x384 WMV copies are just a temporary compromise between higher quality, lower size, and player compatibility.

You can look forward to more videos coming one way or another.

Call me a witch and burn me at the stake, but, at first viewing, I found it a bit lackluster compared to older episodes. Still funny, but, for me, it didn't pick up until just before it ended with that scientist. Keep up the good work Ross. Can't wait for 34 to be released.

EDIT: I found it better on a second run after watching 32 again, I think my main issue is how little emphasis Freeman has in this compared to his usual rage, he's not angry enough. The lines were great, but a little flat on delivery compared to usual. Don't get the wrong idea, I still liked it.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

"That which you do not know, is not a moral charge against you; but that which you refuse to know, is an account of infamy growing in your soul. Make every allowance for errors of knowledge; do not forgive or accept any breach of morality."

This episode is ok in my opinion, but that's about it. Though to be fair this is not at all my favourite part of the game. I am optimistic that Freeman will deliver some hilarity in the next one or two episodes.

Now Black Mesa only has a few days at best to get finished, released and checked out by Ross if he wants to use it after the KO part of the game. . .

This episode is ok in my opinion, but that's about it. Though to be fair this is not at all my favourite part of the game. I am optimistic that Freeman will deliver some hilarity in the next one or two episodes.

Now Black Mesa only has a few days at best to get finished, released and checked out by Ross if he wants to use it after the KO part of the game. . .

Yeah, right. I'm pretty sure he's gonna finish Half-Life before that thing is even out.

I think I found my sole problem with FM. Damage. I'd like to see Freeman be a bit more in pain after taking some hits.

All in all, this episode was a bit less, but it indeed has more to do with the overall setting and pace of the game atm than with the dialogue.

So, am I right in thinking we're close to the part where he gets captured? I haven't played HL for a while. I wish Ross could give an estimate on how many more episodes to finish, but I imagine that'd be difficult.

Well remember, most of his pain comes from being hit by things like bullets. In Freeman's Mind, the electric shocks of the Vortigaunts just hurt, and the C'thulu Dogs are just puking on his suit, not doing much of anything.

I liked this episode primarily for the way he by-passed a couple of really annoying gamey things, like the piston jumps. I hate those kind of platforming jumps in first person shooters because they're always so difficult to do, particularly when they're necessary for progressing, and especially stupid when, as Freeman showed, there's no reason he can't just climb onto a couple of crates and climb the ladder instead.

And yes we're very close to when he gets captured. It should happen very soon now. I think it happens right after he deals with the cloaking crazy ladies for the first time.

I am a lady, and I wish to be addressed as such.

Gotta say, Ross didn't really have all that much to work with there in that episode, but he did a great job with what the game presented. I remember him saying something in an interview about how hard it is to come up with consistently funny lines in parts of the game where Freeman is just wandering down empty corridors and stuff. Like someone else said, I like how he bypassed some of the platforming and other game obstacles and took what I would call the more 'realistic' approach. There wasn't any reason he couldn't climb that fence and ect.

And thank you thank you thank you for not having the jumping and platforming interrupt the flow of the dialogue beyond just a quick gasp or inhale. It was exciting and sort of 'realistic' to see Freeman worried about getting his jumps right like 20 episodes ago, so it's cool to see he's not stuck on the same things.

I love the comments on Black Mesa and Freeman's speculation on just what they're up to with their spending. Those are probably among some of my favorite lines.

As I was browsing through the comments on Youtube for the vid, I came across this one which I find really amusing and a good idea actually.

TheShockman99: "i hope when black mesa source comes out he acts like he finds his glasses and puts them on so everything has better graphics but hes really playing source"

Now Freeman has voices in his head, I remember around episode 4, he said he didn't want to be as schizophrenic, and it looks like Freeman has schizophrenia. Can he get any more insane?

"We don't call them loot boxes", they're 'surprise mechanics'" - EA

I love the comments on Black Mesa and Freeman's speculation on just what they're up to with their spending. Those are probably among some of my favorite lines.
I really like it in videos when I have some lines or scenes that perhaps a minority of people will like, but for others it's a real highlight.

As I was browsing through the comments on Youtube for the vid, I came across this one which I find really amusing and a good idea actually.

TheShockman99: "i hope when black mesa source comes out he acts like he finds his glasses and puts them on so everything has better graphics but hes really playing source"

But BM:S is supposed to make more sense. To me, some of the funniest things about Freeman's Mind is when Freeman complains how stuff doesn't make any sense. Like the box-smashing room.

But BM:S is supposed to make more sense. To me, some of the funniest things about Freeman's Mind is when Freeman complains how stuff doesn't make any sense. Like the box-smashing room.

He could say; "HOLY SHIT! BLACK MESA IS FINALLY MAKING SENSE! IT MUST A SIGN OF APOCALYPSE!"

Shephard's Mind played a bit on the senselessness. I'm almost opposed to BM:S if it starts adding in sense, but I can't really judge without seeing it.

I liked Adrian wondering if Black Mesa threw its employees in a dungeon if they screwed up. It WOULD explain the skeletons down there.

Another decent episode. I didn't think he'd much like the revelation of being tracked across the facility.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

I really like it in videos when I have some lines or scenes that perhaps a minority of people will like, but for others it's a real highlight.

Yup, I'm one of the latter. I've found so many small things that I found absolutely hilarious, but when I show my friends, they're just laughing because I told them it's funny...

Come to think of it, I'm one of the few who's been playing Half-Life. That might be the cause.

Edit: By the way, Ross. How soon is the downloadable version coming out? Thanks.