Dead Games Society

Hey there friends, I'm not actually sure if I'm allowed to post this here, I got permission to post it on the Discord, but I'm going to throw this out there anyways. I really love The Game Dungeon, it's my favourite show on YouTube and I also really like talking about video games, so I started up a show of my own which I think a lot of you guys would like. If you're looking for something like the Game Dungeon, consider checking out the Dead Games Society, where I plan to talk about a whole range of games you might not have heard of or played before. 

I get that whoring out for views on another man's forum is sort of scummy, but I genuinely think that a lot of people here would like my content since it's in the same sort of style as Ross', and I hope the man himself gets to see this since he's been the biggest inspiration for me to be doing this. Thanks for any consideration! 

https://youtu.be/mJdOhWUlq60

Hey, so I decided to give this a watch because I had nothing better to do. (I'm actually planning on making my own GD-inspired series soon-ish as well, so.) While it's not a bad video by any stretch of the imagination (it taught me more information on The Sims portable games than I have ever needed to know in my entire waking life, so that's something,) there are a few ways it could have been better.

I think the biggest problem for me is that the game audio / music in this video is too dang quiet 90% of the time. Although, I will say, I have seen review videos where the game audio is loud enough to the point where you can barely hear the reviewer talking, so I'll take too quiet over too loud any day of the week. I haven't had much experience editing narration over game audio, but I feel about 3-7% volume for the game audio would be the sweet spot. Your mileage may vary on that one, though.

Also, the pacing in this video is kind of wonky. As in, there are some points where there are NO gaps between sentences or paragraphs, making it hard to tell when the previous sentence ends and the next one begins. I recommend at least a 0.5-ish second gap between audial paragraphs, and don't just slam two of them together without any silence gaps.

There are also a bunch of visual nitpicks I could talk about, but I'm not gonna harp on this video /too/ much. I will say, though, I do like the intro you made for the series, though. It has character.

Overall, this isn't a bad video at all! It's informative, fairly entertaining, and while it's far from perfect, I know that if you keep doing these Dungeon-esque videos, you'll eventually get a feel for it and start making better reviews. Keep at it and you'll be like Ross in no time, I suppose.

Thanks for sharing this. Long live the Dead Games Society.

Edited by sprite (see edit history)

On 10/30/2019 at 6:09 PM, sleepjie said:

My Halloween episode is out if anybody is interested! Also thanks @sprite for the feedback, I'll take it on board!

Nice! I'll check this out in a bit.