Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2

Sign in to follow this  

I have a particular taste in obscure video games. There's one Playstation 2 game that comes to mind by the name of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2. I don't hear people talking about it that much. Dark Alliance 2 is one of my favorite hack and slashes. It isn't a combat powerhouse like Diablo 2 but one of Dark Alliance 2's strengths is it's atmosphere. When I played Dark Alliance 2 I felt like I was actually there in the Forgotten Realms setting. The art style has aged considerable well. Though that may have to do with how to the camera is positioned but I digress. The soundtrack is phenomenal. Some of the tracks send shivers down my spine every time I hear them.

3BvB5iAkl1s R_75OJd-mWQ

In terms of atmosphere Dark Alliance is on par with or even above Diablo 1's atmosphere IMO. I have two gameplay videos to give people who've never heard of Dark Alliance 2 before an idea of what it looked like.

UzCM5D-ESGE criWmc6RAqo

But viewing the gameplay videos on their own doesn't do the game justice. You need to play it to truly appreciate it. If you happen to find a Playstation 2 or 3 with backwards compatibility dirt cheap I would highly recommend getting that along with a copy of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2. I'm quite saddened that Dark Alliance 3 was cancelled and those types of hack and slashes aren't made anymore.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

So... Related to Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 I guess? I'm playing through Baldur's Gate 2 right now and I can't imagine a game like BG 1 & 2 evolving into a hack and slash, especially with the new Baldur's Gate expansion(Siege of Dragonspear) that's coming out soon. Still, it looks competent.

So... Related to Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 I guess? I'm playing through Baldur's Gate 2 right now and I can't imagine a game like BG 1 & 2 evolving into a hack and slash, especially with the new Baldur's Gate expansion(Siege of Dragonspear) that's coming out soon. Still, it looks competent.

Nope, Dark Alliance 1 & 2 are completely separate entities from the original Baldur's Gate 1 & 2. It's quite fascinating how they both started with the same base setting of Forgotten Realms but they both turned into completely different beasts unrecognizable from one another. The original Baldur's Gate titles were developed by Bioware from 1998-2001 whereas the Dark Alliance titles were developed by Snowblind Studios from 2001-2004. Surprisingly Wikipedia has a pretty accurate overview of the entire Baldur's Gate series https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur%27s_Gate_%28series%29#Games.

I'm not saying I started the fire. But I most certain poured gasoline on it.

I played through basically all of Dark Alliance 2, but could never beat the final boss, fuck his health regeneration.

It was a pretty cool game, though I also felt that it could have been so much more at some points with a little fine tuning.

Long is the way; and hard, that out of Hell leads up to Light-Paradise Lost

By the power of truth, while I live, I have conquered the universe-Faust

The only absolute is that there are no absolutes, except that one

Vae Victus-Brennus