Use Laptop as a monitor.

Sign in to follow this  

I have a Dell inspiron E1505 that I would like to use as a monitor for both my Xbox (Just Xbox, not 360) and the HP Pavilion dm4-2070us 14" that will probably be replacing it. Before you tell me to Google it, I'm doing that as well, I just thought I'd ask here too so I can get a more specific and direct response.

EDIT: I should be able to use the monitor of the outdated shared family desktop for these purposes. Feel free to keep posting ways to do this, as others may be interested and while I don't know what I'd do with three monitors, it would at least be cool to have as an option.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I have the perfect comeback. A Spaz-12.

I've seen a few things where I could possibly use it as a second monitor for the other laptop, but nothing too promising as far as using it for the Xbox. I'll test it for the laptop when I get it.

Hm. It's possible I think, if you don't mind getting creative with cabling TV input (you would need the right hardware in laptop). I think the newer Windows support multiple screens, so you'd be able to switch from one to the other while treating the Xbox as a tv signal.. in some other program. VLC or Windows Media player might be enough for that.

But you may want to see what the Linux community has for you. There are some Linux distros that turn your computer into a multi media station. You may find simpler solutions there (from which you can still run Windows on a partition or virtual machine, if you really need it).

I got a free program called Synergy that works-ish. Not really "dual monitor", but it lets me use the mouse and keyboard of one to control the other, so it's really more like an easy way to use two separate computers at once. Still pretty neat and it does give me some options.