Deleting Source games

Sign in to follow this  

Fellow farmers, I am in need of help.

I have installed a couple of skins on CS:S and TF2 quite some time ago, but they are always problematic and I don't even like them anymore. My problem is that I have no idea how to delete them. I have deleted the Local Content through Steam and redownloaded it, didn't work. I have deleted the game folders and redownloaded them, didn't work either. What am I supposed to do?

Help is greatly appreciated,

Your captain,

Kirk

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

For a game like CSS, go to Steam/steamapps/$yourAccountName and locate the 'counter-strike source' folder.

Delete that entirely to reset everything including your key bindings and so on, although the Steam cloud might restore it, not certain on that one.

For more detailed disposal, go to the cstrike folder in the 'counter-strike source' folder. Delete the materials folder, the models folder, the sounds folder and the resource folder.

I think this should thoroughly eliminate any customisations you may have.

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

That's what I did but it didn't do anything. When I redownloaded it and fired it up, I still had my faulty skin.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's wierd, it should be just vanilla if you're deleting the files. The only things I can suggest is trying to manually find the skin files and deleting them or contacting Steam Support.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Kaweebo/

"There are no good reasons. Only legal ones."

VALVE: "Sometimes bugs take more than eighteen years to fix."

Also I have noticed: the TF2 folder is only 2.5GB big, but Steam insists that the Local files are a total of 10GB. Where are the other 7.5GB?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

That's what I did but it didn't do anything. When I redownloaded it and fired it up, I still had my faulty skin.

Do you know what the custom skin is called? Once it's re-downloaded stuff, specifically check the folders I specified and see if the skin files are there. If they are, then it may be Steam cloud being strangely awkward. Alternatively something else is going on.

Also I have noticed: the TF2 folder is only 2.5GB big, but Steam insists that the Local files are a total of 10GB. Where are the other 7.5GB?

It's referring to the Team Fortress 2 GCF files in your steamapps folder.

do this, get GCFScape, use it to navigate through the TF2 GCF files, find the textures and paste them overwriting the skins.

If that doesn't work, bugger me.

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: You just blow that fife

[82nd] Mr. Kochi Bracegirlde: the 'if ye know what i mean' aside

Hooper: want to give your men a fast reload? BLOW ME FIRST

I'll try what Lord said first and if that doesn't work I'll try the above. And if that doesn't work...I'll bugger Koach ;)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

do this, get GCFScape, use it to navigate through the TF2 GCF files, find the textures and paste them overwriting the skins.

If that doesn't work, bugger me.

No no, you don't replace the stuff in the GCF files! And uninstalling the game should remove the GCF files entirely anyway.

I think he means copy the texture files Kirk needs FROM GCF, then replace the new skins with them. I don't think that'll work, but it's not what you think.

I think he means copy the texture files Kirk needs FROM GCF, then replace the new skins with them. I don't think that'll work, but it's not what you think.

No no, that's entirely pointless. If he locates the broken skins he simply needs to delete them outright so it uses the defaults.

On a related note I'm not even sure GCF Scape allows you to edit GCF files, only read from them.

No no, that's entirely pointless. If he locates the broken skins he simply needs to delete them outright so it uses the defaults.

On a related note I'm not even sure GCF Scape allows you to edit GCF files, only read from them.

I know but I think that's what Koach meant. I've copied files out of GCF before and used them for other purposes. I once copied some of G-Man's lines out and edited them together to make more sense in a mod.