Scientific Observations in Xen

Sign in to follow this  

The point of the show is basically that of presenting the thoughts of a neurotic scientist throughout the events of Half-Life. However, something that has been bothering me is that although Gordon Freeman spent his first episode in Xen freaking out, he has been strangely calm in subsequent episodes. I expected Gordon to be more excited about making scientific observations in, for practical purposes, a previously undiscovered type of place. Maybe say something about the rock composition, or formation, or something about the atmosphere, and throw in some stuff about escape velocity et cetera to make it sound real. Maybe his explosives did very little to harm the Gonarch because of the thin atmosphere? If the atmosphere is thin, what about breathing, and what about sounds? Obviously there has been some of this (like wondering about the floating rock), but very few. I think that there have already been many missed opportunities for stuff like this, and of course there isn't much time left. I find this strange simply because the lack of scientific observations makes Gordon Freeman seem as if he could be anything. A neurotic car mechanic? A neurotic masseur? It doesn't seem realistic that this theoretical physicist, after being dropped into Xen (an interdimensional world, right?), would not be curious about his surroundings in the slightest.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, as a side note, in creating an account to post this comment, I was given the question that asks for the name of the game in which Freeman's Mind takes place. I put 'Half-Life' as my answer, and it wasn't accepted. Is it possible that the answer key has the name misspelled as 'Half Life'?

The point of the show is basically that of presenting the thoughts of a neurotic scientist throughout the events of Half-Life. However, something that has been bothering me is that although Gordon Freeman spent his first episode in Xen freaking out, he has been strangely calm in subsequent episodes. I expected Gordon to be more excited about making scientific observations in, for practical purposes, a previously undiscovered type of place. Maybe say something about the rock composition, or formation, or something about the atmosphere, and throw in some stuff about escape velocity et cetera to make it sound real. Maybe his explosives did very little to harm the Gonarch because of the thin atmosphere? If the atmosphere is thin, what about breathing, and what about sounds? Obviously there has been some of this (like wondering about the floating rock), but very few. I think that there have already been many missed opportunities for stuff like this, and of course there isn't much time left. I find this strange simply because the lack of scientific observations makes Gordon Freeman seem as if he could be anything. A neurotic car mechanic? A neurotic masseur? It doesn't seem realistic that this theoretical physicist, after being dropped into Xen (an interdimensional world, right?), would not be curious about his surroundings in the slightest.

Any thoughts on this?

Also, as a side note, in creating an account to post this comment, I was given the question that asks for the name of the game in which Freeman's Mind takes place. I put 'Half-Life' as my answer, and it wasn't accepted. Is it possible that the answer key has the name misspelled as 'Half Life'?

To be fair, he hasn't had that many moments to stop and think in which he wasn't busy actively doing something else. So far, he's mostly exploring and fighting off the native wildlife. It seems like scientific thinking would be something he would want to put off at least until he can ensure that he won't die within a short timespan. I mean, he's been in Xen for like what, a half hour? Given just how insane it all is, he probably doesn't even know where to start regarding actually pinning down how everything works. That said, I'm always up for more technobabble. Especially semi-legit sounding technobabble.

I HAVE to blow everything up! It's the only way to prove I'm not CRAZY!

I suspect Freeman of going through some kind of shell shock. He rejects the reality of Xen through autosuggesting that he can handle the situation. Just postponing the breakdown.

I don't think Freeman is capable of conducting complex analysis of Xen in current state.