Nehrim

Sign in to follow this  

Perhaps the biggest modding endeavor of all time, yet I never hear anyone speaking of it. Nehrim is definitely a game in its own right, and it actually eclipses Oblvion in a ton of ways(The melee system unfortunately remains the same).

Some things you wouldn't expect from a mod.

Nehrim has about 60 hand crafted dungeons. All, or near all dungeons in oblivion are randomly generated and then just touched up a bit.

Nehrim has more voice actors than Oblivion

Nehrim has about 8 times as long a main story quest.

Nehrim has a 40% bigger world map.

Nehrim removes the level scaling, instead tailors zones to certain levels giving actual sense of progress.

Nehrim has its own composerS.

It's pretty amazing, if you like the Gothic games it's worth a look.

It's also getting a sequel called Enderal that isn't getting too much attention either, despite a huge cast, original character models, texturing and world map.

To put into perspective the scope of these maps, a mod came out for skyrim a year or two ago. The mod boasted having 1000 workhours put into it.

Well, currently Enderal has 27000'ish hours put into it.

I think I've actually heard of this. It IS an Oblivion mod, right? It's supposed to be similar to the New Lands mods (like the Dunes of Elsweyr mod that god abandoned?), no? I think I followed the Elsweyr mod for a bit but it got abandoned in the last few years and, sadly, removed(although another version or something like that is still up). IIRC, there was another New Lands mod from Oblivion that was nearly complete but got abandoned as well.

So, another paragraph that I'm writing as a "post-note" because I decided to look some of these up. The "current" Elsweyr mod is the popular "Tales from Elsweyr Anequina". The OTHER New Lands mod I was trying to mention was Hammerfell which, AFAIK, is still abandoned and was nearly completed. Now then, the REAL cream of the pie that I just found at a glance is the *amazing* project of Solstheim, Vvardenfell and Mournhold that is... Abandoned and last updated Jan. of 2013 with a Beta release.

The issue with these projects is that they almost always get abandoned or released as incomplete. I understand why. From what I remember about the OLD Elsweyr mod, the mod creator got bored of it and moved onto other games. If it was still up, you'd be amazed. When I had explored it, I didn't even explore 25% of it. There was A LOT to the area as it used almost(maybe all?) the whole chunk of the Elsweyr area on the world map. I REALLY want a good Oblivion mod to be finished. Oblivion is my favourite Elder Scrolls game so far (haven't played Morrowind but I'm probably brainwashed to hate it at this point, it gets a lot of hate because it's ridiculously overrated and "hardcore") and it hasn't got a lot of completed, up-to-date expansion mods. You can do a lot with Oblivion because it still holds up today and it runs pretty well on Windows 7/8 from my experiences.

EDIT: Honestly, I don't even know what the "original" Elsweyr mod is at this point but this one was released 2008 http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/16657/? and from the looks of the screenshots, it may be the original. http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/16657/? Again, it might not be. The one I played(the original) had the elephant enemies, orcs in a city (it was like a stronghold) as well as a forest-town at the border and several khajiit caravans dotted around the desert. It was pretty indepth with the basic.

I don't know much about elsweyr, but Nehrim was fully finished, translated to english and everything. Enderal seems like it's finishing up as well, and there were two morrowind mods as well.

I don't know much about elsweyr, but Nehrim was fully finished, translated to english and everything. Enderal seems like it's finishing up as well, and there were two morrowind mods as well.

One of the morrowind mods was never finished though, correct? Morroblivion or something like that? One of the mods that changed monster levels, travelling, equipment(I think), spells, added new areas with dwemer-themed areas and a bunch more but it was never confirmed as "finished".