Logic based planetary definitions...

Sign in to follow this  

Since the IAU seems to not want to use a logically based definition for what is and isn't a planet, I'd like to propose something that can actually be applied to any solar system, (or even rogue planets, not in orbit around a star) not just our own.

Here's what I have so far.

Stellar Object: Star, Black Hole, Binary/Trinary/Qauternary Star, etc.

Primary planetary orbit: Stable orbit around central Stellar Object.

Secondary planetary orbit: Eccentric orbit around central Stellar Object.

Planet: Gravity meeting or exceeding 1.00m/s, exceeding 1000km diameter, sphereoid or oblate sphereoid with less than 10% average deviation. Not a Stellar Object.

Dwarf Planet: Gravity between 0.01m/s and 1.00m/s, exceeding 1000km diameter, sphereoid or oblate sphereoid with less than 10% average deviation. Not a Stellar Object.

Moon: Any object exceeding 0.01m/s gravity in stable orbit around a Planet or Dwarf Planet. Not a Stellar Object. Can still be a Planet or Dwarf Planet.

Binary/Trinary/Quaternary/Etc. Planet: Any Planet or Dwarf Planet with a Moon that causes the system to have a center of mass (barycenter) above the surface any of the Planets/Dwarf Planets.

Edited by BTGBullseye (see edit history)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 57 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.