Proposals on making legal sharing work

Sign in to follow this  

Something I've thought about for some time and never really got it together well, it's a work in progress.

We know that in Holland they are currently discussing rights and piracy laws and whether they should just legalize software sharing for personal use since there is no control over it and move on.

The two main sides are of course "for software sharing" and "against software sharing". Now remember that if you are using whatever art you download for a Set (DJ Mix) or a showcase for money or on any commercial project you would still need to pay legitimately, this is checked by police then at parties, they check for some stats in the file, I don't even know how it works but they catch people nowadays and fine them as far as I know.

Well I've been thinking for a long time about how it could actually economically work if software sharing was legalized, since I can see the facts are problematic. I've noticed how hard it really is nowadays for new artists to make money. And how such few (often talentless and through commercialization) people dominate the whole market of genres.

I've been thinking why the government cannot give a steady sort of paycheck for all starting artists who legitimately work required hours as an "Artist". While concerts, live shows, showcases could be private money for the artists the government could collect a tax which will redistribute it to the artists and make sure ALL artists in need will get the appropriate salary from it. New Artists could get a fund.

This is my social idea of it, what do you think? I know it has it's flaws here and there especially since I don't know how much tax would be required and how the government would find out what the appropriate salary would be for each artist and that the government in many cases could not be trusted, but we are talking about a stable government here. And welfare in Germany for example has been fair so far hasn't it, in fact it's almost unfair TO the government...

Anyone else have a proposal how legal sharing in the future could work, please add because I do know my proposal is very unstable even ideologically :D, but it's just a thought.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

Sounds like you're asking about 2 separate issues entirely.

1. The methods of legal distribution of digital files.

2. The definition, and compensation of artists.

Neither are really related, except in passing, so what are you really asking about?

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

The method of distributing legal digital files will have to involve changing the compensation and definition of an artists. That's why they are connected.

But more importantly I'm talking about digital files.

"When a son is born, the father will go up to the newborn baby, sword in hand; throwing it down, he says, "I shall not leave you with any property: You have only what you can provide with this weapon."

The method of distributing legal digital files will have to involve changing the compensation and definition of an artists. That's why they are connected.

I don't see why.

But more importantly I'm talking about digital files.

Torrents are perfectly legal already, and unregulated to boot...

I don't see why.

Well in my theory, they do.

Also Torrents are legal, but to torrent copyrighted music files is illegal.... at least here in Ukraine

Well in my theory, they do.

I still don't see the connection...

Also Torrents are legal, but to torrent copyrighted music files is illegal.... at least here in Ukraine

As it is everywhere else... Torrenting is free however, and easy to use as a mass distribution system. (WoW uses it, as do most other MMOs)

Ok, clearly current artists salary and digital mp3 distribution do not bother you.

By the way, this is just a proposal, not a question or anything. :lol:

Ok, clearly current artists salary and digital mp3 distribution do not bother you.

I know of no artist that gets a salary...

sal·a·ry/ˈsalərē/

Noun: A fixed regular payment, typically paid on a monthly or biweekly basis but often expressed as an annual sum, made by an employer to an employee.

I know of no artist that gets a salary...

sal·a·ry/ˈsalərē/

Noun: A fixed regular payment, typically paid on a monthly or biweekly basis but often expressed as an annual sum, made by an employer to an employee.

Well, do you know how who the Music artist works for??? A label, all types of contracts are signed between those two including salary contracts.

And I am proposing a government salary to the artists...!!!!

Contract pay is not a salary...

Why would you want tax money to go to artists if many of them may be terrible, and may never improve?

The government shouldn't fund arts; go to Nuit-Blanche in Toronto sometime and you'll see what I mean. Thanks, Mr. Harper!

Artists should make money based on whether people like them or not--you know, an objective standard. It's subjective for the government to decide who's good and who's not. Besides, there are better things to be putting money into.

I also see this as way too easy to exploit. Someone will find a loophole, call themselves and artist and collect taxpayer money doing nothing.

Why should the people be forced to pay for art?

I was considering in general to lessen the salary of the super rich a bit and make the salary of the starting artists/getting into art better. The problem with artists is to get into it (Since most forms of art are expensive) But as you mentioned, that is mostly the problem wth it, enforcement of this is pretty tough. But as I said there is barely any tax money involved in here, since most funds will be cuts from the pop-culture arts.

But, yes this theory is in progress :), thanks for the feedback...

What about the Nuit-Blanche though???? I know art is always going to be there, even when you won't pay the artists it will be there, because art existed since humans existed. Art also has no significant reason to exist but to entertain the human mind. But, if you force artists to do this for free, well not many will be alive by 30...

I know for a fact that almost all artists don't really care for money (Except for pop-culture artists), as long as they can survive. Generally, I think though the problem today is the more higher sophisticated music you make, the less money you get. There is less Cultural/Inteligentsia in the world then average people who don't even really care for art.... :(

Every year, I go to Nuit-Blanche thinking I'll like it, but every year it's the same pretentious stuff. The best part of Nuit-Blanche is the street hotdogs and energy drinks.

I never said, "we should force artists to do it for free"; I said "don't force people to pay for it."

Come on, you should know that I would never advocate forcing someone to do something else against their best judgement. 8-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 70 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.