The Surge successfully copies the Souls formula, and this time with a personality of its own! it's a huge improvement over this developer's previous game, Lords of the Fallen (which, I should point out, is still a decent game in it's own right).
- intense tactical & reactive combat.
- fantastic hub-based level design with clever shortcuts, reminiscent of the original Dark Souls.
- interesting story, setting, and sci-fi concepts.
- dismemberment of enemies as a looting mechanic.
- soul-crushing difficulty really makes you feel like you achieve something when you overcome it.
- great visual style.
- good graphics, solid performance.
- some weapons and attacks are significantly more useful than others.
- late-game enemies are so powerful that you have to fill most of the implant slots with health boosts, otherwise the game gets frustrating.
- bland characters, especially the protagonist.
- the game does a poor job of explaining how to defeat certain difficult enemies.
- the ending is not particularly satisfying, considering the absolute hell we have to go through to get there.
overall, The Surge is a great game as long as you can get over some of its quirks and don't have wrong expectations. I absolutely recommend it, unless you are a 'casual' gamer that doesn't like to be challenged.