Hunter's Galaxy: A Space Opera RP [:(]

Srake had been sitting in his seat with a blank look on his face for quite awhile. Everyone had already left the briefing room after the incident. He shook his head to bring himself to reality. He stood up and walked out to his ship without a word, not even bothering to mask his unusual appearance. He slammed his hand on the hull of the ship making the panel slide back and he climbed up to the door. His crew looked at him with quizzical looks as he silently strode to his seat. Jade asked nervously, "Srake? Are you alright?"

Srake sighed as he powered up the Tenrar and left the dock, "Too bad I gave up drinking when I became a pilot..."

Terren and Jade both looked at each other questioningly.

"Ready the Interstellar Drive and prepare to jump with the Valiant" Srake commanded. "And Terren, stay on the turret. I got a feeling that tonight is not going to be a good night."

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Garret was eating dinner at the Valiant's cafeteria when he heard a subtle explotion and got alarmed

What the hell was that, Kief!?

Seems like we just shot that other Frigate...

Uh-oh said garret while dropping the other half of his sandwich on the plate

Remain calm, there must be a logic explanaition for this

Worst case scenarios were already floating in Garret's mind... Had Roam become insane? it was all a trap? was that Ninja a spy? He pulled his handgun out of a jacket pocket and loaded it, then put it back in it's place.

This is not gonna be a calm trip Kief, fasten your seatbelt.

Both got up and rushed to the Briefing room where Argyle was speechless.

Professor why the hell did you shoot that frigate down? said Garret while holding his pistol.

Then a message came out of Garret's earpiece.

The Invisible Has just been taken down for stealing valuable data for the expedition from the professor. Don't be alarmed and continue with your regular activities

Huh...I Didn't though we'd get a traitor so fast... Are you ok Professor?

He seemed to be quite shocked.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Are you ok Professor?

Argyle looked up with a tiny lapse of surprise at how little he had been reacting to the world around him, as the question finally registered.

"I'm fine, don't... well... No! I am not "Okay"! A man is dead because of his poor decisions but that does not alleviate that I witnessed his death; I have moral objection with killing, that I will not tolerate to change and would very strongly have it put forth as a command while I am the Financier of this expedition." Determination began to flow from his voice as it neared the latter part of his sentence, complimented by a steely appearance on his face. It quickly melted to a slightly different morose face than it was before, as he thought about what he had said.

"Then again... I hired you all seeing as Roam told me casualties may become an inevitability because of the risky course we take..." again, it his determination resolved stoic again "But it will not be in vain."

The contextless resolve of the Professor seemed to be lost in the air around him, as he realized the matters which he was vocalizing were rather private in nature, as he glanced towards the youngish pilot who stood in the doorway. His pristine memory recalled

"...Mr. Burton. Greetings.. er, don't mind my loss of composure... I am not used to the goings-on of adventurey. Please-" he was interrupted by a sudden recollection in his mind.

"-Please excuse me, I have things to attend to." he said, remaining sitting and gently resting his hand on the side of his face, relaxing the weight of his head into his arm.

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

This is a nice metric server. No imperial dimensions, please.

After the captain's shuttle returned to the Shadow Spear, the captain entered the bridge.

*To a lieutenant*

"Warm up the inter stellar drive, prepare to receive coordinates from the Professor."

*His Commander turned and started to speak to the captain**

"Sir, what happened to that other vessel, the Invisible?"

"I'm sure you were monitoring the comm exchange between the Valiant and Captain Yilne...seems something was stolen. Evidently the people on the Valiant most certainly mean business."

"Yes Sir."

"I must say I don't really trust that Commander Roam, seems to be a shifty character. The Professor's harder to read, seems to be constantly in fear of...something."

"We should certainly watch ourselves, Sir."

"That certainly goes without saying."

*The lieutenant then spoke up*

"Interstellar drive warmed up sir, awaiting coordinates..."

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."

"Helmsman, Re-dock with the valiant, prepare for interstellar drive jump...Sergeant, come with me. I think everyone on this ship has been to the cafeteria except you or I, i'm pretty damn hungry." He chuckled a bit.

"Yea, I could use something to eat."

They made way to the mess hall. Yilne and Sergeant Cuora have been serving together for nearly a decade. He was the one being Yilne could trust with anything. Cuora was a Jiespher who stood at 5' 9" with years of battle aging his face, he was extremely professional, and very loyal. Sometimes the Sergeant broke the chain of command to reason with Yilne on more than one occasion. He was younger than Yilne, by about 5 years. Although, you could never really tell by looking at him.

this conversation is meant to take place during the entire interstellar drive jump, unless something happens...in that case just imagine their conversation stops somewhere.

Yilne has been quiet for the walk over to the mess hall, it was Cuora who decided to break the silence.

"Hey Wvernaa, do you remember that qtiol we worked for about two years back?

Yilne and the sergeant laughed in unison as the they were recalling that.

"Yea, and you shot at his engines because you forgot to turn off Auto Fire on the buffer?"

"Hey well, he deserved it. We didn't know it at the time, but eventually the guy did try to blackmail us for the Xielumbus."

Yilne sighed. "Yes, it was worth killing him. Even if i did get this in return." He gestured towards a laser scar between his ribs.

They both walked into the Cafeteria, and asked the chef to make their respective favorites, then they sat at a table and furthered their conversation.

"Yilne, working with Argyle and Roam...thoughts?"

"you know, Cuora, the Professor Argyle seems like he's on the up-and-up but there is just something i just don't like about that Roam guy..."

"I mean on the ship, during that briefing, i was so tempted to draw my pistol and just shoot him."

"Your instincts has never lead you astray before, Yilne. In fact they have saved us. What is it that's keeping you working for the Professor and company? during that little exchange in loyalties, your eyes, I've never seen that much emotional intensity from you before...so i ask, why didn't we just blow the Valiant out of the sky?

Their food arrived. They continued eating and talking.

"Answer's simple Cuora...money. There's something lying beyond the end of our expedition...I have a feeling it's more than what the Professors telling us...in the end it would've been foolish to have shot them down. Still though, i don't trust Roam. Somethings about to happen, I can feel it. If the professor doesn't get rid of him i fear for the future of our employment...and possibly our lives."

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, when I was heading back to our ship I overheard Professor Argyle and Roam. Roam gave the shoot order, Argyle tried to stop him, practically begging him...Roam obviously has this..uh, indifference towards other's lives. In the end i'm probably over thinking it. I mean, the human did try to betray us."

they both finished their meals.

"ah but, I just hope i'm wrong, you know?"

"Yea, i'd still remain cautious either which way...

Almost right after Scorch returned to the Glain-Neidr's bridge, one of the combat alerts sounded.

"What's going on out there?" asked Scorch.

"It appears the Valiant opened fire on one of the ships in the fleet," Claud said. "Judging from the radio signals we intercepted, the captain of the Invisible stole some intelligence regarding the Carbunkle's location, but he couldn't get out of the Valiant's firing range in time." Claud turned to Scorch, his hands folded over his stomach. "In all fairness, though, the Invisible instigated its destruction. The Valiant gave them a fair warning."

Scorch laughed a little in his throat. "Regardless of how things transpired, Captain Roam just made himself far less appealing as a trustworthy leader. I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before the other captains' nerves get the--"

"Incoming message from the Valiant," Claud said, interrupting Scorch. "They're saying, 'The Invisible Has just been taken down for stealing valuable data for the expedition from the professor. Don't be alarmed and continue with your regular activities'. Sounds like this Roam character isn't planning on giving the captains' time to mull over what they just saw and heard."

"Of course he's not," said Scorch. "It doesn't matter, though; no one will be forgetting this anytime soon." Scorch turned his attention to Destiny. "We have a new objective. Destiny, get us in formation around the Valiant and prepare the Glain-Neidr for interstellar travel." Scorch stood from his seat, his knees freezing for a moment before straightening out. "Where's Sydney?"

"She's in the starboard side of the ship making adjustments to one of the bomb release systems," Claud stated.

"Probably being useless, like always," Destiny chimed.

"Okay. Claud, watch after the bridge and tell the crew to prepare for the jump. I'm going to meet Sydney to discuss something," and with that, Scorch turned his back to the bridge and left to find Sydney.

Awakened by a residual explosion from the "Invisible," Dominicus called out for a member of the "Valiant's" crew from his seat in the cafeteria, asking

"What the hell was that?! Did I just sleep through a battle?"

"No, sir. The "Invisible" has been destroyed as it betrayed tge fleet and tried to make off with intelligence on the Carbunkle."

"Oh," he snickered, "this Roam guy means business, doesn't he? I like him! You can tell him I said nice job if you ever see him."

"Yes, sir."

Dominicus lroceeded to walk about the ship, finding his quarters and making it a little more homey with the few possessions he'd taken with him from his home.

Feeling like he needed some action, Dominicus called his squad up to the Docking Bay and gave out orders.

Alright men. I'm going to check in with Roam and see if he minds us doing a little recon. We'll scout out a 5,000 mile radius surrounding the "Valiant" to make sure they know when there's trouble.

Using his communications device, Dominicus asks Roam for permission to proceed.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

"-Please excuse me, I have things to attend to."

Go ahead. said Garret. As the professor walks away Garret puts away his handgun and assumes a more relaxed posture, a traitor being killed isn't unusual for him as he has been forced to do the same in his early days as a mercenary.

Nothing to do here, Kief. Let's go.. When they got back to the cafeteria Garret's half eaten sandwich was gone, but the plate was still there. Really? He thought. It was a good excuse to get another dish from the chef, given that he's eating for free. After he finished eating both headed to where all the staterooms where using The Valiant's deficient signing pannels. I'm gonna take a nap, feel free to explore the ship and keep me posted on the expedition's status.

Got it replied Kief. Then he got out of the room and roammed around the ship without a particular destination looking closely at the crew and how they were acting face to the presence of several mercenaries and alien creatures. Many of them made weird gestures when a stranger walked by, they seemed not to be a very experienced tripulation.

''Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important.'' - Steve Jobs

Madman over the past few days has been studying and doing surprise exams, so for the time being, he gave me permission to assume control over his character.

However that is a summary of a few Private Messages which I got hung up on some minor details within which he hasn't replied about, which considering the circumstances are relatively inconsequential, so I ask forgiveness for having the game grind to a halt as it has.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Taking into account the season, the game will be put on hold from Friday, December 18th until Monday the 9th of January, so as to not inconvenience partakers of the Christmas Season.

"Shadow Beam 1 to Valiant Control, request to commence local region scout-route." said a voice in the console.

"Control reads; negative, Shadow Beam. We're readying for Interstellar, stand by for Jump." responded the comm engineer.

"Are we ready then?" said Roam, eyes darting between several different readouts on a local coordinates grid holo-projection.

"Accelerators are hot and prepped, local power ready, surpressors at full. Data has been fed to all members of the convoy, we'll be able to maintain formation with the unified autopilot." replied one engineer.

"Goodie. Let's scram." replied the Commodore.

"Primary, engines go. Fuel pressure surge at sixty percent... eighty... stand by for stifle burn."

"Four, three, two, ignition."

With the grace of a skydiver the Valiant's engines burned white and the ship quickly began to speed away into the void beyond the Carina system, the other ships following in close formation alongside it at similar velocity and acceleration.

"Helmsman, Re-dock with the Valiant, prepare for interstellar drive jump."

Helmsman repeated the docking procedure, then MIPAI opened up a Xielumbus flight wide comm link.

"Attention all wingmen: MIPAI to Xielumbus flight, Recommend protocol: 7699834 across all that are able. Repeat: 7699834"

"Protocol: 7699834 acknowledged, MIPAI. thank you. preparing thruster cool down procedures."

The Helmsman pressed a code command on his arm rest console. Xielumbus' cool-down system released a special mixture of coolant into the thrusters as well as several other systems.

"engine temp cool-down status: 45%...68%"

"very good. Smooth out the ship. i don't want to lose anything. acknowledge."

"Acknowledged, Helmsman. Xielumbus flight smoothing out."

Flaps aboard the Xielumbus tucked themselves in and turrets as well as cannons recede into the Xielumbus.

"Alright close our eyes, MIPAI."

Shutters close over the windows and portholes.

"go to instrument orientation. whew...just in time too, the Valiant is just now gaining speed through the void, they certainly do not waste time..."

"Auto Pilot set. Formation will be held with The Valiant for the remainder of the jump."

Srake nodded and relaxed back into the seat, "Thanks Jade..."

A light clicked on and a female voice played, "You are now free to move about the cabin."

Srake looked up at it in mild irritation, "Seriously Terren, that was funny at first but now its just annoying."

Terren scoffed as he climbed down the ladder to the turret and sat down in a chair, "Just sit back and enjoy the light show Srake."

They call me Snake. They call me Es Rake. They call me Srahkay. That's nahmaname. That's nahmaname. That's not my... name.

Alright men, we'll renew the request the second we jump out of Hyperstellar. Let's go back for a quick snack, or go to your rooms if you like. But once this thing Slows back down, meet me back here.

Life is just a time trial; it's all about how many happy points you can earn in a set period of time

*The Shadow Spear receives the coordinates and engages its interstellar drive*

The Valiant and her convoy sped through the void without heed for the limits of physics, illuminated brilliantly as they were exposed to compressed amounts of light, quickly traveling near and past stars.

Professor Argyle, having largely taken in the happenings of the morning, now was sitting in the main crew lounge, amongst the newer couches and silver-ish adornged lamps that decorated the room. He sat down on a set near the far wall bookshelf, holding one of his datapads and a small bluish case about the size of an insulated flask.

There were only a handful of other crew members in the lounge, all seemingly minding their own business and obviously off-shift, since there were far fewer crew requirements while the ship was in Interstellar Mode. He quietly began browsing for something in his datapad as he thought to himself.

"Pilots die. The fact that they take up ships with guns onboard them is it's own explanation that they forfeit their rights into the gamble of other ships with guns. You being part of that is just another transaction.... Good gravy am I really trying to tell myself that?

-I can't let these inner worries cloud my judgement, all of these idealistic pursuits will have me at the long end of a short rope quickly. There is the goal, and as Roam sees us through, so we should perservere. Relax, Eddie.

Yeah, relax." he said aloud, equal parts rhetorical, commandment and sarcasm in spite of himself.

Scorch felt the Glain-Neidr accelerate into Interstellar travel as he walked to the bombing bay. He couldn't help but run the situation through his mind again and again. The death of that ninja couldn't have come at a better time, Scorch thought. Regardless of what that fool Roam said, I'm sure the other captains are feeling shook up about the sudden loss of a ship, especially at the hands of the Valiant. If no one suspected Roam's capacity for betrayal, I'm sure they do now. Scorch paused as two technicians exited the bombing bay, both of whom fell silent as they noticed their captain waiting outside.

"Is she still in there?" Scorch asked aloud.

"She?" one of the technicians asked. "Oh, you mean Ms. Burdon. Yes, she's still making some last-minute adjustments, Captain."

"Good," said Scorch. "As you were, gentlemen."

The technicians remained silent as Scorch walked past them into the bombing bay. The large steel door closing off the bay from the rest of the ship opened as Scorch approached it, not needing an access code from the ship's captain. Scorch stepped into the bay and looked around. He caught site of Sydney's rear as she was waist-deep in a firing tube. As he stepped away from the door, it slowly closed and sealed magnetically.

"How are the adjustments coming along?" Scorch called to Sydney.

Even from across the room, Scorch heard her head hit the inner wall of the tube before she pulled herself out from it. She had some lubricant smudged against her cheeks and chin, but it didn't seem to faze her.

"Well, aside from killing a few brain cells just now, I think I'm finished," Sydney said as she rubbed the back of her head. "What can I do for you, Captain?"

"I'm in need of some adjustments," said Scorch. "But you knew that already, didn't you?"

Sydney nodded. "Yes, Captain. If you kept as close an eye on my recommended maintenance schedule as you do with everything else your ship and crew involves themselves in, you'd see that you're about a week overdue for a check-up." Sydney motioned to Scorch's legs. "Let me guess, your knees finally started to act up?"

"Finally?"

"Of course. Your knees have been making dreadful noises lately; I'm surprised they're just now affecting you, Captain."

Scorch chuckled in spite of himself. "You would notice that, huh?" Scorch cleared his throat. "Next time you notice these things, let me know. You're not of much use to me if you can't do even that."

"Understood," Sydney said, even-toned as ever. "Surely you don't want me to fix you up here."

"Don't be foolish. We'll return to your lab to do the maintenance." Scorch adjusted his shoulders slightly. "As well as another upgrade and CAS rotation."

Sydney nodded and stepped toward and past her captain, grabbing her toolkit on the way out of the bay. "Come on, your legs aren't broken yet," she said.

Scorch paused. "You aren't allowed to be so disrespectful to your Captain, Sydney."

"True, but you aren't allowed to ignore your doctor's orders either, Captain."

"Fine, I get it," said Scorch. "Just don't go too far. I can barely tolerate Destiny at her best. Speaking of..." Scorch stepped to a control panel and connected to the bridge. "Bridge, this is your captain speaking. I assume we're in Interstellar Travel now?"

"Yes, Captain. The entire convoy is flying in the same space, just as the Valiant ordered," said Claud.

"Just as Captain Scorch ordered," Destiny added.

"What's our position in relation to the Valiant?" asked Scorch.

"Starboard side, Captain," said Claud.

Scorch paused for a moment. If we stay here, we're in a bad place should Roam decide we've stolen something as well. Normally, moving to the front of the ship would be a death sentence, but being in Interstellar travel, it's the best place to be since any shots fired would just hit the attacking ship and would make the ship a sitting duck otherwise. Still, Roam will probably throw a tantrum if we break formation... which after the last incident, would only make him look worse.

Scorch grinned and spoke firmly into the intercom. "Destiny, I want you to move the Glain-Neidr to the Valiant's bow and hold the position. Claud, be on your wits regarding incoming transmissions from the Valiant and do what you can to push both sides of our conversation through static channels to the other ships. If Roam says something gauche, I want the entire convoy to hear it. Understood?"

"Yes, Captain," said Claud and Destiny in unison.

"Excellent. Scorch, out." said Scorch before closing off communications. "Now, let's get to those repairs, Sydney."

guys, I've lost interest in this thread entirely. My apologies, but I'm going to have to withdraw.

Dominicus was beginning to have second thoughts, now.

"Professor. You know what? I want out. I've got plenty of money as it is and I don't need to risk my life just for some added fame and glory. I'm heading out. Best of luck."

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

I see that the Winter slump isn't doing kindly to the patience of my participating players. I suppose I am at fault for not really giving a status update...

snotdead.png

I'm hopefully not dead.

Barely...