Music composer(s) wanted

Sign in to follow this  

- - -

EDIT:

Well I feel like an idiot, as one viewer pointed out, looks like Craig Kesicke updated his blog literally an hour before I made this post (his last update being in May), so he is still alive. For now, the offer still stands, since the no-reply thing this close to Halloween really alarmed me.

- - -

ORIGINAL POST:

While work is progressing steadily on "The Tunnel" I have a new problem. Since Machinima.com generally isn't happy about me using game soundtrack music anymore, composer Craig Kesicke was supposed to be creating music for this episode and has already created some that I plan to use. However, I haven't heard back from him in a few weeks despite sending some follow-up emails, so I can only assume his rowdy past has caught up with him and he has been arrested by the local authorities.

While this time delay would normally be nothing to be concerned over, I'm trying to do everything in my power to get this episode done before Halloween. This means I want to allocate as much time as possible for composing music for the scenes as I finish filming them. I'm not done with the episode yet, but I have multiple scenes done that I need music for, so I'm opening up the doors for anyone who's interested in composing music for this episode (and possible future ones). If you compose music and want to give this a shot, go ahead and email me at [email protected]. Some people have offered to compose music in the past. I plan to sift through my old emails and contact some of them, but don't hesitate to take the initiative and email me again if you've contacted me about music before. For everyone else, I will want to hear a sample of your past music, even if it's not the style I'm after for this episode.

Since I was originally planning to use soundtrack music, I'll be putting together tracks I was considering as an audio reference for each scene along with a description of the kind of mood I'm after along with any details I can think of. I'll want samples of music first before I send the footage to score the actual scene as a way of minimizing any unused work. Finally, be prepared for rejection. As a soundtrack freak, I can be picky about the kind of sound I want, also it's possible someone may have got to me before you did. I generally don't like creating a competitive atmosphere like this for people, but in this case, I really want to see this episode done in time and I think this might be the best approach. I do give feedback on anything I want revised or changed however, so there's nothing saying you can't keep trying again with different samples if I don't like the initial ones. Also it's very possible different composers may end up working on different scenes.

Thanks in advance to anyone who contributes. I unfortunately can't afford to pay people what their music is probably worth, but I will of course give credit to everyone whose music gets used in the episode.

I wish I could help you. I can make music, just nothing suitable. Also, I hope people don't have too high expectations of this.

When things take long like Duke Nukem Forever, people tend to.. y'know.. expect the best fucking thing ever. I hope people will still appreciate it for it is and not bash it for taking so long.

Thankyou for doing all this, Ross. I don't know how you push on, but you're doing a good fucking job. A REAL good job.

You have my full support, and hopefully I can find a way to help you, some time.

Ha ha, great, now I have a mess. I checked his site not long ago, according to his post, he put this up an hour before I put up mine. I'll try and contact him again. For now, this still stands, but he'll be one of the prime candidates. The no-reply thing started worrying me this close to Halloween.

Well, I'm more in the Classical spectrum of things, with a kind of focus on late Romantic Era / early 20th Century stuff... probably not quite right for this, but if you're interested, just gimme a shot.

And if you want any suggestions for "Classical" music to fit a scene, I can give you a plethora of references!

I don't think he'll have a problem. People who post here are overwhelmingly supportive; there's always a few jackasses who whine, but you have to expect that on the internet.

I feel kind of bad for anticipating the next Civil Protection because I know it'll mean more Freeman's Minds (?) afterwards. But m'eh.

Well you may be right then. While there are a variety of tracks I'm going to want, in general I'm more a fan of music that sounds slightly exotic rather than traditional symphony style scores.

His rowdy past? What kind of composer is he?!?

"Oh let me just down the rest of this vodka bottle before composing, if you hear any slurring its probably just the chello. And if you see any fires its ok because I put them there."

Normally I would be concerned but I realize these are the type of people you would be looking for. Madness, its like a hug for your brain.

Ross please, contact Trent Reznor from Nine Inch Nails, or just use some of his music in your vids, he releases many of his work for free.. I know many of his songs that would be awesomly suitable for your vids, especially some electronic and remixes.. But I don't wanna put here links to them, though it could be viewed as a spam.

Some say he once replaced the coins in an old lady's purse with wooden fingernails.

@uNderGroUnd LaB:

He he, yeah. It's a sudden, strange, coincidental turn of events.

I hope you're at least feeling relieved now, Ross, although I still worry about Machinima's no-game-music-regardless-of-anything policy. I'm sure there's a way to get past it, maybe "ignore" it, or send a message to someone in charge to cut you some very reasonable slack.

Relatedly, do you plan to use something else for the Civil Protection theme song or are you content on passing the policy somehow? Maybe by titling it "too uniquely significant" and under a lot of fair use anyway. Regardless, best of luck to you, Craig (Keiscke) and everybody else on your team for completing this episode in a satisfactory nature. I don't personally care at all if you don't make the Halloween deadline; It's awesome either way!

Well Ross, good luck man. Can't wait for this episode!

Also, I have a question.

What do you mean by: "Looks like his rowdy past caught up to him and he's been arrested."??????????

Who the heck IS he?

Unfortunately, Ghosts I-IV is licensed in such a way that you cannot use the songs for commercial purposes, and when Machinima puts ads onto them, it puts it into that category. I still agree with you, most of the music that Trent Reznor makes would be great.

Believe me, I know plenty of exotic Classical stuff. For example - you want a light, pseudo-Chinese sound, check "Von der Jugend" from Mahler's "Das Lied vin der Erde". Or if you want a Middle-Eastern kind of sound, check the Armenian stylings of Khachaturian. Plus there's always throat/overtone singing - "Huun Huur Tu" is good for that.

And of course, there's some stuff by Alfred Schnittke that goes suddenly from Baroque to 70's rock and back, jarringly and abruptly.

That kind of exotic?

I'm just happy his past didn't catch up to him. Whatever that means. Maybe either you or Craig recieve it in the junk mail boxes. Or he's one of those people that check his email once a month.

I was thinking more of exotic in terms of instruments used (maybe some synthetic) and a style that doesn't sound like generic movie soundtrack #4558. Here's an example of what I consider boiler plater and a little exotic both in the same song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHcVOkVXq9o

0:00 - 0:36 : okay, but nothing very distinctive, could be out of a million different movie soundtracks

0:36 - rest of song: MUCH more distinctive, fantastic mood setting, mix of traditional orchestra instruments with some electronic elements + non-traditional elements, but still very harmonious.