Fallout 3 Review by Alyxx [Spoilers]

Sign in to follow this  

I remember in my first playthru of fallout 3 that I ended up kind of building a merchant-like character, with high repair and barter with okay stats for other weapons and medicine. The repair let me repair weapons and armor to higher grades than merchants could sell, and I drained a lot of standby merchants of their caps fairly quickly. This would've been more interesting if my character traits truly changed dialogue and story, but aside from characters reacting to me based on karma and perks, I felt like there was no difference. It also agitated me how there wasn't an option to continue the game after that last mission or to go back to where you were (unless you had a save, which I did) before the final mission.

That's why you MUST get Broken Steel DLC, it will continue with the game's ending and allow you to keep playing indefinitely.

But as for sexual content, I found it very funny how in this day and age we can accept a game that's centred around nuclear holocaust with the option to literally detonate one, the possibility of becoming a slaver, the blatant abuse of drugs and alcohol etc and not to mention the freedom of killing every single person you see (apart from children)... and yet the moment you add skin of any amount and it instantly get labelled as 'obscene' material :lol:

COURIER'S MIND: RISE OF NEW VEGAS

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2181

http://www.youtube.com/user/101Phase?feature=mhee

SEASON 5 WILL AIR IN SUMMER 2013!

Yeah, but if I want the DLC, why would I pay for them individually when the GOTY edition is now cheaper? I'm fully aware that I could continue the game if I paid the extra money (I think the DLC for the ps3 version is still $10 a pop), but that's not really something I'm willing to deal with. You shouldn't have to pay to just keep exploring the world available.

Yeah, that's totally absurd in my opinion. And the fact Fallout 3 lacks that sexual tone that Fallout 2 had makes it just more bland imo.

tbh I think the lack of sexual content was least of Fallout 3's problems. Make no mistake, it's still one of my all time favourite games, but some of the problems it had were truly glaring e.g. horrendous list of bugs, surprisingly 'meh' story and the fact that DC is actually just a huge maze thanks to all the collapsed buildings and debris blocking the road.

Yeah, that's totally absurd in my opinion. And the fact Fallout 3 lacks that sexual tone that Fallout 2 had makes it just more bland imo.

tbh I think the lack of sexual content was least of Fallout 3's problems. Make no mistake, it's still one of my all time favourite games, but some of the problems it had were truly glaring e.g. horrendous list of bugs, surprisingly 'meh' story and the fact that DC is actually just a huge maze thanks to all the collapsed buildings and debris blocking the road.

Yeah, agreed. I think I only touched upon the surface of all the things that annoy me about the game in my review. And it's one of my favourites too, just so it's said. i don't hate the game at all, but I just find there's a lot of things about it I find annoying.

Yeah, but if I want the DLC, why would I pay for them individually when the GOTY edition is now cheaper? I'm fully aware that I could continue the game if I paid the extra money (I think the DLC for the ps3 version is still $10 a pop), but that's not really something I'm willing to deal with. You shouldn't have to pay to just keep exploring the world available.

Agreed. I'm kinda glad I waited to buy the game until I could get the GOTY version with all the addons. The decision to end the story originally was definitely something I see as a big flaw.

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

It really came as a surprise that the game just ended there. I mean, luckily I had a save back at my Megaton house that wasn't too far behind the final mission (I actually think it was just before the mission), but I wonder how many players didn't make backup saves like that and got screwed out of exploring the rest of the wasteland. There wasn't even a "this is the final mission and you won't be able to return once you've finished it, continue?" warning type of thing.

I know what you mean. It's like the devs just decided to give you the middle finger and say "fuck you, we're not gonna let you reach your max level or explore any further, you'll just have to restart a new game and be all weak and whimpy again. *insert asshole laughter here*".

Game developments at http://nukedprotons.blogspot.com

Check out my music at http://technomancer.bandcamp.com

Heh, I actually really fucked up my first playthru of Fallout 3.

I tried to complete that survival book quest (Moria was the NPC), and ended up going to Rivet City before Galaxy News Radio. At this point, the game closed off that portion of the main quest and advanced me to the part with Rivet City in it.

Anyway, because I did so many sidequests, I was about at level 15 before I got there. Getting to level 20 in the Enclave hideout wasn't too difficult, plus I picked up plenty of armor, repaired it as I went, and made a fortune in caps. Of course, that was useless since I finished the game right after that. The ending came up really quick.

What pisses me off about Broken Steel is that it's basically one of those DLCs that says 'it's optional, but you'll be a real idiot not to get it'. It solves a problem that should never have existed in the first place. But at least Fallout 3 tried to remedy this, New Vegas never intended for post ending play right from the start :(

Yeah, that's true, but it shouldn't be a problem in the first place for either games. Heck, even Infamous lets you run around after you beat the main story.

Honestly, this is the reason why modders exist. Apart from the main quest story almost every problem listed can be fixed.

Here's to hope that Skyrim and subsequently Fallout 4 will be equally as friendly to modders. Have you played Oblivion, btw? Is it any good?

It rates as my favorite game of all time, second only to Half Life 2. Bethesda knows that the modders are their friends. hell, most of the awesome new stuff is things that modders added (apart from y'know... FUCKING DRAGONS).