Introversion( Uplink, Defcon, Dar/Multiwinia)

Sign in to follow this  

Introversion: My personal favorite game company.

They have made some of the best non-hyped games I have ever played.

Rather than making a thread for each, I will just dedicate a post or two for each game.

Spoilerizing for your protection:

The best of all their games(in my opinion) was a game called Uplink.

Uplink is a open-ended hacking game where you join a freelancing agency called Uplink Corporation.(obviously). It starts out with you contacting their public access server to set up your account. Once you create your account you are connected to your "Gateway", a computer mantained by Uplink that conceals your identity in case the government comes aknockin', and begin doing missions you choose from the Uplink Internal Services Machine.

You evade being caught by bouncing your connection through other servers giving you more time to hack and cover your tracks. You do jobs, like hacking other companies or changing criminal records, for public companies and private citizens, leading to an increase in wealth and experience. As you progress throughout the game the missions will become more difficult and require better software to complete.

The true story is about a manical company working to create the ultimate virus and destroy the internet while its rival works to stop them. You can join either side, allowing for the ultimate freedom.

Personally the thing that makes this game excellent is that you aren't locked into just doing missions, you can make money and increase in rank through other less obvious means. The real story line isn't forced on the player so it feels like you are progressing through the game by your own will. The game ends when you make a mistake and end up being disavowed from Uplink Corp. to help protect you from being arrested by the feds.

They released the source code to the general public so people on their forums are still talking and making their own versions of the game, keeping it alive and fresh.

"Do not inhale fumes, no matter how good they smell."

I forgot about hacker evolution. Its very close to the same game but lacks that certain atmosphere. It does seem that hacker evolution is almost a direct copy of uplink, but with small changes to prevent legal action.

Uplink came out in 2001 and Hacker Evolution came out in 2010. It may just be coincidence.

Working on getting some pictures uploaded. May be a week or so.