L4D2 Runs Faster on Linux!

Sign in to follow this  

Article Link: http://www.techpowerup.com/169852/L4D2-Runs-Faster-on-Linux-than-Windows.html

With the Steam Client and L4D2 officially ported to Ubuntu, it seems that L4D2 runs faster in Linux than Windows. This shouldn't surprise anyone, though, since Ubuntu tends to use fewer resources than your standard Windows install and uses openGL instead of DirectX, but I felt this would be an interesting story to bring to the forum.

Personally, I'm glad to see Valve bringing a little more attention to gaming on Linux. However, I'd like to think this is just the start of things to come. Granted, the success of Steam on Linux is dependent on developers (much like it is with OSX, which has had Steam for a while now), but I think we could see some shifts in developer preference what with the release of Windows 8 looking... not so good. Who knows, this could be Valve's first step toward something bigger, like maybe a specialized Linux distro designed with Steam and games in mind (although they'll likely just stick with the client scene for a bit).

Interesting. I've never used Linux, but given the impending downfall of Windows, I might have to check it out; especially with Valve's new support for it.

Of course, I am still clinging to a hope that Microsoft might actually realize what a bung-up job Windows 8 is, and fix it in the next alliteration.

I don't think Linux will ever be a true gaming platform. Windows has always held that flag. That being said there are some good source ports on Linux for games like Quake and Doom.

Sadly, I agree. Sure, Linux has great support from indie developers and Valve, but other than them, I don't think we'll see a flood of Windows developers developing for Linux anytime soon. A shame, too, since I think most gamers would prefer using Linux over Windows.

I've seen this news ever since I started going back to Linux again.

Surely it's a 50/50 chance that other game developers will take suit, although Steam® is good enough for me. I'd hate to see Origin for Linux.... Oh Shi-

I just... I don't even...

I read an article fairly recently related to this that people think Steam, etc on Linux is wrong because everything that runs on Linux should also be open source?

Feel free to PM me about almost anything and I'll do my best to answer. :)

"Beware of what you ask for, for it may come to pass..."