AMD PileDriver FX Processors

Do you think PileDriver will be better than Bulldozer?  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think PileDriver will be better than Bulldozer?

• No, I wasted good money on Bulldozer >:(
    • Yes, there is always room for improvement.

Sign in to follow this  

I would hope the PileDrivers would be better than the Bulldozer, and I hope they're better than the Phenom chips (if I recall, Bulldozer was a step back compared to Phenom performance). Granted, my most recent build is Intel-based, I'm always open for more options and competition in the world of CPUs... which, sadly, is a small, small world these days.

So I know this is really digging up this thread, but recently some conflicting benchmarks of the FX 8350 chips have arisen that really refute other reviews in terms of performance and comparisons to Intel's Ivy Bridge (or 3000 series, if you go by the SKUs) chips (which mostly boil down to saying how terrible the 8350 is and to go for an intel i5).

eu8Sekdb-IE

(another one using a GTX 670 is coming up to add more varied results and supposedly dispell acusations that the performance gains come strictly from the AMD/AMD pairing).

I thought this was really interesting and worth mentioning here. Plus people on other sites are mentioning it in a negative light (aka, Intel fanboys raging).

Yeah, it's better for certain tasks mainly because of the split L2 cache... If Intel had the split cache it would probly do better than the 8350. (but it doesn't, so no point in the comment)

If I get enough money to build a system, I'll wait till next-gen processors and GPUs are out, just in case they start to change the architectures again. (and because I don't want to pay top dollar for something that might end up 1/2 power of a similarly priced newer chip/card)

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Fair enough, and a very valid point about the L2 cache. I was just surprised about how odd the benchmarks of sites I frequent don't accurately represent the performance of the CPUs. There's very little point in investing in older hardware, unless the newer stuff is somehow inferior.