Heartless Review: Doom

Sign in to follow this  

Doom

-----------------------------

Basic Info

---------

System(s) - PC, Game Boy Advance, SNES, Playstation, Nintendo 64, Xbox, Xbox 360

Year Released - 1993

Genre - FPS

Develepor - iD Software

About the Game

---------------

Doom is a classic. All gamers have heard of it. Probably. If they haven't, something's probably wrong with them. This game pioneered one of the most popular video game genres today. Of course I have to review it. While it wasn't the first, Doom is certainly one of the most successful or memorable first person shooters. It doesn't matter if it was incredibly gory, depicted satanic symbols, and was extremely violent, for that time at least. Everyone loved it. People used to say that there were more copies of Doom than there was Windows 95. Doom put you on Phobos, one of Mars' moons, as an unnamed space marine, known to most people as "Doomguy." Single-handedly, you battler through Phobos, Deimos, and Hell itself to keep the demons from invading Eart, but, spoiler alert! The demons get there anyways, defeating the whole purpose of you doing anything other than dying quickly and (hopefully) painlessly. The graphics are blocky, the story is practically nonexistant, and everything is pretty predictable. That's why so many people love it, even today. It's a throwback to how games used to be, pixels, and everyone knows pixels are sexy.

Story Review

------------

Story? In Doom? Ha ha ha! But seriously now, Doom did have a story, albeit a weak one. According to the manual, you are an unnamed space marine, and you've been posted on Mars because you attacked your commanding officer. Why would you do such a thing? Because he ordered his unit to fire on civilians, that's why. Justice is why. Anyways, the base acts as security for the Union Aerospace Corporation, or UAC, which is a multi-planetary conglomerate. The UAC is doing secret experiments with teleportation by creating gateways between the two moons on Mars, Phobos and Deimos. Phobos is considered by space marines to be the dullesy assignment imaginable by their little space marine minds. According to them, "with no action for fifty million miles, your day consists of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room." But, their dirty movie watching is interrupted when UAC experiments go horribly, horribly wrong. Computer systems on Phobos malfunction, Deimos disappears somehow, and "something fragging evil" comes out of the gateway, killing or possessing all UAC personnel, which you are not included in apparently. Responding to a distress call from the scientists, the Martian marine unit is quickly sent to Phobos to investigate. You get left to guard the hanger with nothing but a pistol while everyone else goes inside, because you smell and nobody likes you. Over the next couple of hours, gunfire, screams, and unintelligible messages come over the radio, followed by silence. All of your friends are dead. Now you know what the last dinosaur felt like. Time for revenge and saving the world. You know have to fight through the entire onslaught of demons by yourself. Lovely. Ok, so maybe the story isn't that bad.

Graphics Review

---------------

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! This keeps getting better and better! Ok, I admit, Doom's graphics are awesome, even today in the ultrarealistic world we live in. I actually love the graphics, but as I've said before, I find pixels incredibly sexy. At the time it was released, Doom's graphics were considered something of witchcraft that needed to be burned at the stake. Ok, maybe not that unbelievable, but still, they were pretty freaking sweet. Yeah, Wolfenstein 3D was already out, but that took place in a bunch of cramped hallways and rooms. Doom had a semi-open environment that you could wander around in and explore. I can't say much more about this, so I'm going to go ahead and move on.

Gameplay Review

----------------

Ah, the gameplay of Doom. This was considered one of the most revolutionary things of it's time. A semi-open environment that you could sort of explore, full of those beautiful, blocky graphics we just talked about, along with countless obstacles. Being a first person shooter, Doom is experienced through the eyes of the main character, Doomguy. Like most shooter, you have to survive by killing everything else, but the first person perspective had a huge effect on the game experience. The objective of each level is to reach the safe haven that is the exit. That button or door was like finding a water bottle when you're dying of thirst. It's great, but it doesn't last long. The levels are basically big action-packed obstacle courses. In these obstacle courses, there are also countless secrets, which every completionist will be after. The arsenal for Doom is very notable. You start with a pistol and your fists and work your way up to the highly coveted BFG 9000. There are also many power-ups and a wide variety of effects. The monsters of Doom make up the central gameplay elements. There are 10 types of monsters, all which have different behaviours. There are also two mulitplayer modes playable over a network, co-op and deathmatch.

Reviews

--------

Review time!

Story 2/5

Graphics 3/5

Gameplay 4.5/5

Replay Value 4/5

Final Rating 16.5/25

Heartless Score - B

That's it for this review guys! Hope you liked it! I had to edit alot of it due to my phone

Thanks! I had to cut out two sections because of my phone's limitations. I was planning to do images in this review too, but I wasn't able to. Sorry! By the way, this review took about 2 1/2 hours to write and 1 1/2 hours to type and post. I really want to do stuff for you guys, haha.