Weapons of Mass Destruction

Now, what do we do when rogue nations like North Korea acquire these weapons, or different terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda and Palestinian terrorists get them? We already saw what happened with chemical terrorism in the 1995 release of sarin in Tokyo, and biological terrorism in the Anthrax attack following 9/11. It is only a matter of time before these occur on large scales. And that isn't even including the possibility of nuclear terrorism.

I am not worried about the "rogue states". As nation-states, they know that actually using the weapons will lead to consequences much more costly for them than any military gain from the weapons themselves.

Also, they know equally well that from the moment the world knows they are in possession of WMDs they will be directly blamed if they lose control over the weapons and let them slip into the hands of any non-national organisation. For example, if Hisbollah were to be found with an Iranian nuke, even if they haven't had a chance of using it yet, it will be considered as a declaration of war by Iran.

The terrorist groups are a different matter. If they lay their hands on any WMD they are likely to use them.

Biological agents are difficult to handle and weaponise, chemicals are difficult to deploy in sufficient scale to be effective. The nukes are the most dangerous as they may be made compact enough to be delivered and still have a big punch, tempting for a terrorist organisation.

Unfortunately, I see it almost inevitable that a large chunk of a major city will sooner or later be messed up by a nuke IED. Whether it will be London or Moscow, Rome or Beijing - impossible to say. I don't recommend anyone to lose any sleep over it. If it happens to you, it happens - tough luck. If it doesn't you will still have to die of something - no one lives forever...

To me, the way to make it less likely or to postpone the moment is to encourage the nation-state with ambitions to build nuclear weapons to open up their programs to international supervision and to provide them with advice and help on safety, security, deployment protocols etc.

Note, that when I say "open to international supervision", I mean - drop the pretense of peaceful atom etc and admit that, yes, they are developing a bomb, so let's make sure they do it safely and without any chance of losing control over the material and technologies.

I know my views on that are unorthodox and are unlikely to be shared by most people but, there you go.

Regards

I am not worried about the "rogue states". As nation-states, they know that actually using the weapons will lead to consequences much more costly for them than any military gain from the weapons themselves.

Also, they know equally well that from the moment the world knows they are in possession of WMDs they will be directly blamed if they lose control over the weapons and let them slip into the hands of any non-national organisation. For example, if Hisbollah were to be found with an Iranian nuke, even if they haven't had a chance of using it yet, it will be considered as a declaration of war by Iran.

The terrorist groups are a different matter. If they lay their hands on any WMD they are likely to use them.

Biological agents are difficult to handle and weaponise, chemicals are difficult to deploy in sufficient scale to be effective. The nukes are the most dangerous as they may be made compact enough to be delivered and still have a big punch, tempting for a terrorist organisation.

Unfortunately, I see it almost inevitable that a large chunk of a major city will sooner or later be messed up by a nuke IED. Whether it will be London or Moscow, Rome or Beijing - impossible to say. I don't recommend anyone to lose any sleep over it. If it happens to you, it happens - tough luck. If it doesn't you will still have to die of something - no one lives forever...

To me, the way to make it less likely or to postpone the moment is to encourage the nation-state with ambitions to build nuclear weapons to open up their programs to international supervision and to provide them with advice and help on safety, security, deployment protocols etc.

Note, that when I say "open to international supervision", I mean - drop the pretense of peaceful atom etc and admit that, yes, they are developing a bomb, so let's make sure they do it safely and without any chance of losing control over the material and technologies.

I know my views on that are unorthodox and are unlikely to be shared by most people but, there you go.

Regards

What you are suggesting is probably the best way to keep Iran in check. Chemical weapons are easily made as long as you know what they are made of (and most terrorist organizations do). Bio weapons are the second deadliest weapon on Earth depending on the type used, but the problem for terrorist would be acquiring them. The nation who lost their WMD should not be to blame if, say, they were stolen by terrorists. The main problem for terrorists though is that it is near impossible to acquire WMD from a nation, as they would be heavily guarded. Nations defined as rogue or ready to use WMD are North Korea and Syria, so keep an eye on them.

What I honestly fear the most is that one of many Cold War nukes might be missing and open for use, and that WMD are easily obtainable by a terrorist organization or nation.

And you to never do... Right? That's what always happens with everyone.

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

And you to never do... Right? That's what always happens with everyone.

I don't oppose WMD, I just fear them. I do nothing as I am an opponent of world peace (because I know it is impossible and unnatural). Anything to keep people killing each other.

I personally vote for honorable warfare. Everyone should kill each other with swords... (preferably of Klingon design) ...no WMDs at all.

Good news everyone! Preasure cookers are now weapons of mass destruction. That opens up a lot of new oportunities for invading countries!

Or we could use oversized boobs... (size DDD and up) ...they're weapons of mass distraction. (who'd fight if confronted with a pair of big boobs?)

• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 71 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.