Eugenics in the US

Sign in to follow this  

So, I was reading the paper this morning and came across this article. Until the 70s, North Carolina had a eugenics program that forcibly sterilized the 'dregs of society'; any inmate or person at a state run institution deemed mentally unfit or morally unbalanced could be sterilized without their consent.

This is the first time I've ever heard of this practice in America, but apparently it wasn't uncommon. I did some more reading about it, and it wasn't the only program in the States. In fact, the supreme court declared the practice legal in a decision (Buck vs Bell) that has never been formally overruled. According to wikipedia, between 1907 and 1963 over 64,000 people were sterilized in the United states. These sterilizations were focused on minority races and immigrants, mostly women, to keep them out of the gene pool. Hilter's eugenics programs were said to be modeled off programs in the US.

I decided to post about this because it's the first time I've heard of it, never taught in history class. Any thoughts? I thought the reparations talked about in the article seemed low for such an intrusive disregard of rights.

That's the government for you!

Not alone in this country, or in the world, though other countries like Canada and Sweden abolished the practice in the 1970's as well.

Better methods arose.

He just kept talking and talking in one long incredibly unbroken sentence moving from topic to topic so that no one had a chance to interrupt it was really quite hypnotic...

Better methods arose.

Artificial sweeteners for one...

Don't insult me. I have trained professionals to do that.

Sign in to follow this  

This website uses cookies, as do most websites since the 90s. By using this site, you consent to cookies. We have to say this or we get in trouble. Learn more.